House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northerner

Curry Capital Of Britain

It's coming round again, as part of national curry week. Will Bradford do it again (four times in a row)?

http://www.nationalcurryweek.co.uk/

Manchester Wolverhampton Birmingham Bradford Leicester Newcastle Leeds Cardiff Edinburgh Liverpool Sheffield Nottingham Northampton Oxford Brighton & Hove London East London North London South London Wes tLondon Central

See more at: http://www.currycapitalofbritain.org.uk/city-map/#sthash.5xA2atEG.dpuf

"It gives me great pleasure to know that National Curry Week continues to promote our nation's favourite food whilst raising money for charity. Britain just wouldn't be the same without the colour and vibrancy of Asian restaurants up and down the country. Let's celebrate the immense contribution of the Asian Cuisine industry to our country's economy and culture. We support the sector to ensure that Britain remains one of the best places in the world for our aspiring chefs to train." The Rt Hon Eric Pickles MP Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government.

"We fully support the restaurant sector in London. Quite apart from the employment the sector provides and the economic boost it brings to London, the amazing range of delicious curries that can be enjoyed across the capital is one of the things that makes London one of the greatest cities in the world. We wish you every success with the week of events. It sounds wonderful" Mark Ainsbury for Mayor of London Boris Johnson.

National Curry Week was started in 1998 to promote the cuisine and to raise funds for charities concentrating on hunger, malnourishment and poverty. During the week, curry lovers can get out and visit their local curry houses, some of which will be staging special events and fun challenges.

Guest eight

I had a new one on me at the weekend - chicken hariyali.

It was ****ing disgusting.

Despute having at least one curry a week for the last 10yearsI've never had a curry in Bradford. Perhaps I should try one.

Bradford has had a good reputation for curries for many years. They also hold the world record for an onion bhaji ... it looks (what's the word I am looking for?).

worlds-biggest-bhaji.jpg

Last time I had a made to order curry there was about 3 bits of chicken swimming around in a gallon of Korma...that one dish was £7.95. Just not worth it. Think the whole bill was about £40 per person.

I do sometimes go to an Indian Buffet as its cheap, but not the same as something made to order. Korma usually watery, not fresh sitting out there.

Indians used to be the same price as a Chinese IIRC 10 or 15 years back. Now its 2-3 times the cost. Think I'll stick with Chinese.

Good for Bradford though, it has to come first in something. Hope curries are cheaper up north than they are in the Cambridge area.

Good for Bradford though, it has to come first in something. Hope curries are cheaper up north than they are in the Cambridge area.

Around £2.50 for a starter and £8 for a main.

If in Manchester, though, try This'nThat http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187069-d732222-Reviews-This_That-Manchester_Greater_Manchester_England.html

filename-t-t1-jpg-thumbnail0.jpg

How is this "national", with no representation at all in England south/west of an approximate line from London to Birmingham?

Though it has to be said, although we have a few really good restaurants, we have nothing to rival the widespread culture of superb curries I've experienced up north.

How is it measured? Could be more places in Birmingham or Bradford - but would they have the same impact of those in Glasgow?

Most importantly - are they looking for new judges?

Load of ****** IMPO.

They have Cardiff listed but not Swansea. If you want a great Italian meal in Wales go to Cardiff. It has some truly fine Italian restaurants. But if you want a great curry in Wales you go to Swansea.

I can only think of one curry house that I would go to in Cardiff but in Swansea the wide choice is the actual problem.

Last time I had a made to order curry there was about 3 bits of chicken swimming around in a gallon of Korma...that one dish was £7.95. Just not worth it. Think the whole bill was about £40 per person.

I do sometimes go to an Indian Buffet as its cheap, but not the same as something made to order. Korma usually watery, not fresh sitting out there.

Indians used to be the same price as a Chinese IIRC 10 or 15 years back. Now its 2-3 times the cost. Think I'll stick with Chinese.

Someone once told me that the hoops (somewhere in the Cambridge area, I forget where) was the best curry in the world. So I paid a visit to try it out. ******** is it.

Load of ****** IMPO.

They have Cardiff listed but not Swansea. If you want a great Italian meal in Wales go to Cardiff. It has some truly fine Italian restaurants. But if you want a great curry in Wales you go to Swansea.

I can only think of one curry house that I would go to in Cardiff but in Swansea the wide choice is the actual problem.

However, one shouldn't go to Aberystwyth. By far and away the worst curry ever. Completely inedible.

Load of ****** IMPO.

However, one shouldn't go to Aberystwyth. By far and away the worst curry ever. Completely inedible.

Well, Manchester's "curry mile" in Rusholme is pretty good, and Birmingham is good too!

Actually there is a good restaurant near here in Clevedon, which is reckoned excellent, but I haven't tried it yet.

Well, Manchester's "curry mile" in Rusholme is pretty good, and Birmingham is good too!

Actually there is a good restaurant near here in Clevedon, which is reckoned excellent, but I haven't tried it yet.

I lived on the curry mile for 3 years around the turn of the century. I enjoyed it at the time, especially the kebab wars of '98/99 but whenever I've gone back since (and I've never lived that far away) it's been a massive disappointment.

BTW the curry mile featured extensively in the scenery of the BBC drama The Driver. That was shit too.

Nowadays, I'd pop down the road to West Didsbury instead.

Well I guess the last time I went to Rusholme was about the turn of the century too! Almost every small town now has a Bangladeshi restaurant, or two!

Bradford has had a good reputation for curries for many years. They also hold the world record for an onion bhaji ... it looks (what's the word I am looking for?).

worlds-biggest-bhaji.jpg

PAIN! PAIN!

horta.jpg

Despute having at least one curry a week for the last 10yearsI've never had a curry in Bradford. Perhaps I should try one.

Go to as Akbar's on Leeds road, highly recommended