House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

What Do You Call This - It's Not Slander Or Libel?

Bloke with same name and very similar circumstances to a drunken wife beater goes to the press to see if it can help him at all as most people are assuming he's the guilty party.

"Guilt by mistaken identity" perhaps?

A LOVING husband has been facing outrageous questions after a man with the same name and a bizarre number of personal similarities was convicted of attacking his wife.

Trevor Bailey, 53, of Truro, and his family have been asked uncomfortable questions and heard rumours that he deliberately hurt his wife Michaela in a case of mistaken identity.

Trevor, who has been happily married for nearly three decades, was horrified to discover people were confusing him with Trevor Bailey, 54, of Goonearl, Scorrier, who punched and strangled his wife in a drunken rage.

The men also have wives with similar nicknames, are a year apart in age and Trevor grew up near the other man in Scorrier, where his parents still live. Trevor even knows Bailey, a long distance lorry driver who is employed at his father's haulage firm Conway Bailey Transport Ltd, potentially causing more confusion.

Trevor said: "I am surprised by the coincidence of it, I mean he works for my father's company and lives about 20 steps from their house in Scorrier."

To make matters worse, Michaela had her wisdom teeth extracted, leaving her with a swollen face shortly after the news of Bailey's conviction.

Michaela said: "It didn't look very good and it didn't help. Trevor just isn't that sort of person. He is a brilliant husband and father, we have been married for 27 years and he has never hit me. He just isn't like that – it's not in his nature."

And it is not the first time people have mixed up the two men. Trevor said: "People have thought he is my father's son when he has been driving and last year I had a bill sent to my house for £15,000 which was meant for him."

But Trevor is concerned about the affect it might have on his and his father's businesses.

He said: "I have had merchants and suppliers asking me about it and I don't want potential clients associating me with it.

"When someone gets something in their minds it's hard for them to forget it.

"I would never hit a woman, have never hit a woman and swear that on my kids' lives. But people are beginning to ask me and my family if I have hit my wife, and I don't want people to think I am capable of such things."

Bailey admitted assault causing actual bodily harm at Truro Crown Court and was sentenced to four months in prison suspended for two years and ordered to pay £500 in prosecution costs and an £80 victim surcharge.

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/unfortunate-case-mistaken-identity/story-23062596-detail/story.html

You can see how people would think it was him.

TMT said on here about the head boy of his school who was convicted of sex with an octopus. It turns out that he wasn't (one of a squid was amongst loads of bestiality photos he had on his computer and the story grew from there) but it's now "widely known" that he did.

Although he has a less strong case than Trevor Bailey. Arguing your case in the pub that you didn't have sex with an octopus but instead had a picture of somebody have sex with a squid is unlikely to end up with your being bought a pint.

I was reading that as if it was one of those 'If a car and a train leave Poole at the same time and one is travelling at...' questions.

It is just coincidence and reporting in the media isn't it - so that people get confused.

You then add in word of mouth - Chinese whispers - and you end up with it being common knowledge that such and such person has been convicted of beating his wife or such and such has sex with an octopus even though both are factually and actually quite wrong.

It is just the world we live in.

If anything, the disadvantage of modern times is that the wrong information can spread rapidly... but it would do so via word of mouth anyhow... but via media sites the correct information can now quickly be put out there and things corrected.

Sadly, people being people there will always be some idiots who believe the wrong information even after it has been corrected.

The guy I was in school with probably just has to learn to live with some people pointing and gossiping just as this chap will also have to live with it.

I was reading that as if it was one of those 'If a car and a train leave Poole at the same time and one is travelling at...' questions.

It is just coincidence and reporting in the media isn't it - so that people get confused.

You then add in word of mouth - Chinese whispers - and you end up with it being common knowledge that such and such person has been convicted of beating his wife or such and such has sex with an octopus even though both are factually and actually quite wrong.

It is just the world we live in.

If anything, the disadvantage of modern times is that the wrong information can spread rapidly... but it would do so via word of mouth anyhow... but via media sites the correct information can now quickly be put out there and things corrected.

Sadly, people being people there will always be some idiots who believe the wrong information even after it has been corrected.

The guy I was in school with probably just has to learn to live with some people pointing and gossiping just as this chap will also have to live with it.

:D

I see what you mean!

It's a tricky one. I was part of a crowd when at school that did something (minor damage) and it seemed not to matter one iota that I and most of us hadn't done it (only two of the six or so in the crowd actually did it); it went down in common myth that we had all done it.

It wasn't anything particularly bad so I could shrug it off, but there was no way I could change anybody's minds on the issue and I gave up trying.

Bloke with same name and very similar circumstances to a drunken wife beater goes to the press to see if it can help him at all as most people are assuming he's the guilty party.

"Guilt by mistaken identity" perhaps?

Not much help, but I can add "passing off" to the list of things it is probably not.

Peter Kay had one comedy TV episode where the story centred on a health & safety inspector who had s*x with dogs.

When the series was re-screened it had to have a disclaimer stating that all characters were fictitious and were in no way connected with a real health & safety inspector of the same name.

Peter Kay had one comedy TV episode where the story centred on a health & safety inspector who had s*x with dogs.

When the series was re-screened it had to have a disclaimer stating that all characters were fictitious and were in no way connected with a real health & safety inspector of the same name.

And Channel 4 had to pay him £10k damages, as I suspect Kay clearly did intend to embarrass him locally - bet he still gets dog barks now. Having just found an article about it I'd forgotten how funny it all was. :lol:

CHANNEL 4 has paid £10,000 compensation to a fire safety officer who said a hapless character in a comedy series was based on him.

The company agreed to pay damages to Keith Laird, who works for Bolton council, after he complained about the close resemblance he bore to the fire safety officer in Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights. In the programme, set in a fictional northern social club, comedian Peter Kay plays a number of characters, including Keith Lard, a fire safety officer with a penchant for bestiality.

As well as sharing a similar name, Mr Laird pointed out that the character had a bushy moustache much like his own, wore the same luminous yellow safety jacket and had a penchant for quoting one of Mr Laird's favourite sayings: "It's not fire that kills - it's ignorance." Mr Laird, 45, said colleagues had nicknamed him "Woof Woof", a reference to the fictional fire officer's fetish for dogs.

I can't believe someone got damages for that !! Very amusing though.

Woof woof :)

Slightly off topic, but it reminds me of Frank Skinner and that other bloke mocking that footballer with the pinapple haircut. I think it did ruin his form, allegedly, but I don't think he got any money for it. I suppose it is a bit unfair, being mocked on national TV.

Slightly off topic, but it reminds me of Frank Skinner and that other bloke mocking that footballer with the pinapple haircut. I think it did ruin his form, allegedly, but I don't think he got any money for it. I suppose it is a bit unfair, being mocked on national TV.

Jason Lee - he's got a pineapple on his head.