House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendy

Windows 7 Licensing

Does anyone know how many installs of Windows (Home) 7 you can install – I was led to believe it was just one (it was) but seems MS have changed the rules recently to up that to 5 as long as it is the same IP (so my brother tells me)?

I’m trying to clarify that with an online source (will have to ask him where he got the info from, perhaps something MS has dug in the small print) – long story short a laptop wouldn’t boot the other day so I used a USB-HDD connecter to salvage anything on it then gave it a full format, installed my copy of Windows 7 CD rather than the recovery disc with added bloatware, got online and activated it fine (so this is the second install and no issues) – just wondering if something might crop up down the line or if anyone else has heard that multiple installs on the same IP are now legit?

I think you'll be fine, bendy. Once it's activated it seems they leave you alone.

I've had the same Windows 7 key on two completely different computers before now. Admittedly, neither computer gets turned on at the same time, and I only rarely use them.

I saw on hotukdeals some people were buying certain Windows 8 tablets because the licencing apparently allows you stick a copy on your desktop as well.

Edit:

Forgot to say - apparently people are buying the tablet with Win 8 and then going to MS's site and downloading Win 7 for their desktop.

I thought it was just one, but as I have an unlicensed copy on an old PC (30 days after I installed it, it now forces a shutdown after 1 hour) I will try my other valid license key and see what happens!

Cheers all - will see how it goes as I will have both PC's with the same license on at the same time.

Guess I'll sick it on my 'you might be the victim of software counterfeiting' PC too!

My dad's copy of windows 7 32 bit home says just one install on the box. But he's managed to install it without trouble on 1pc and 2 laptops. I tried to use it on a refurbed pc I got and it refused to accept the license. So 'it's pot luck' seems to be the answer in my situation. Turned ok, I got the 64 bit version instead which has turned out much better.