House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northerner

New Dad's Army

Good casting ...

Gambon and Courtenay to star in Dad's Army film Bill Nighy, Michael Gambon, Toby Jones and Sir Tom Courtenay are among the stars who will appear in a big-screen remake of classic sitcom Dad's Army.

Jones will star as Captain Mainwaring, Nighy will appear as Sergeant Wilson and Courtenay will play Corporal Jones. Gambon will fill the role of Private Godfrey and there will also be roles for Catherine Zeta Jones, Sarah Lancashire and Mark Gatiss. The original sitcom followed a hapless World War II Home Guard platoon. It ran for nine series from 1968 to 1977 and is regarded as one of Britain's greatest TV comedies.

The story will see Zeta Jones play a glamorous journalist sent to report on the Walmington-on-Sea Home Guard before MI5 discovers that there is a German spy in the fictional British town. The film will be directed by Oliver Parker, who made Johnny English Reborn, St Trinian's and Othello starring Sir Kenneth Branagh. The script will be written by Hamish McColl, who wrote Johnny English Reborn and Mr Bean's Holiday.

The film, which will begin shooting this month in Yorkshire, has been supported by Screen Yorkshire's Yorkshire Content Fund.

Pictures: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29536370

Jobs for the boys. Really is time people like Bill Nighy and Michael Gambon are put out to pasture and make way for some new blood. Havent they extracted enough of licence payers money already. Boomers just never stop taking.

"The script will be written by Hamish McColl, who wrote Johnny English Reborn and Mr Bean's Holiday"

Move over Larry David, comedy pedigee if ever I heard it

Another example of pissing on fond memories to create a everlasting taint.

(I'm quite proud of making that phrase up)

It reminds me of the 1984 film 'Boys in Blue' starring Cannon and Ball which was a remake of the 1930s Will Hay classic 'Ask a Policeman'.

It was utterly, utterly abysmal and embarrassing.

The odd thing was, which I still can't understand, that both films were written by the same man, the late Val Guest. I can only assume he was pretty hard up by the 1980s.

It reminds me of the 1984 film 'Boys in Blue' starring Cannon and Ball which was a remake of the 1930s Will Hay classic 'Ask a Policeman'.

It was utterly, utterly abysmal and embarrassing.

The odd thing was, which I still can't understand, that both films were written by the same man, the late Val Guest. I can only assume he was pretty hard up by the 1980s.

I was thinking more of that awful 'Carry On Columbus' that 'starred' the alternative comedy lot along with a few of the originaly 'Carry On...' crowd still alive.

Good casting ...

Gambon and Courtenay to star in Dad's Army film Bill Nighy, Michael Gambon, Toby Jones and Sir Tom Courtenay are among the stars who will appear in a big-screen remake of classic sitcom Dad's Army.

Jones will star as Captain Mainwaring, Nighy will appear as Sergeant Wilson and Courtenay will play Corporal Jones. Gambon will fill the role of Private Godfrey and there will also be roles for Catherine Zeta Jones, Sarah Lancashire and Mark Gatiss. The original sitcom followed a hapless World War II Home Guard platoon. It ran for nine series from 1968 to 1977 and is regarded as one of Britain's greatest TV comedies.

The story will see Zeta Jones play a glamorous journalist sent to report on the Walmington-on-Sea Home Guard before MI5 discovers that there is a German spy in the fictional British town. The film will be directed by Oliver Parker, who made Johnny English Reborn, St Trinian's and Othello starring Sir Kenneth Branagh. The script will be written by Hamish McColl, who wrote Johnny English Reborn and Mr Bean's Holiday.

The film, which will begin shooting this month in Yorkshire, has been supported by Screen Yorkshire's Yorkshire Content Fund.

Pictures: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29536370

"Do you think that's wise?"

He died aged 94 in Palm Springs so I think he did alright :lol:

What's the point in this when the original series is still shown on TV the whole time and hasn't dated at all? It simply can't be beaten and a modern film will just be redundant.

What's the point in this when the original series is still shown on TV the whole time and hasn't dated at all? It simply can't be beaten and a modern film will just be redundant.

I imagine if there is a pay-check actors will do almost anything. Perhaps they hope that the quality that is 'Dad's Army' will make whatever they produce brilliant simply by association?

You know, like the BBC used to have excellent journalists working for it... but now some journalists who work for the BBC think they are excellent simply because they work for the BBC?

I hope it's good, but I suspect the WW2 means little to most people alive today, whereas in 1970 the comedy made sense! Still a good one. Why not get the whole set of DVDs ? :blink:

I agree, unfortunately, for they have chosen some good actors! You can't remake a classic!

Somebody didn't remake "The Producers" very well and I couldn't watch it and it went straight to a charity shop!

I hope it's good, but I suspect the WW2 means little to most people alive today, whereas in 1970 the comedy made sense! Still a good one. Why not get the whole set of DVDs ? :blink:

I met a teenager a few years back - supposedly bright, lots of grade A O levels, etc, etc. Was of the opinion that the Nazis won WW2.

Could a remake set in a contemporary zone of bother, like Korea or Israel, work better?

Could a remake set in a contemporary zone of bother, like Korea or Israel, work better?

Yeah, maybe they could do something along the lines of some mobile army surgical hospital. Have some sexy nurses and some bitter, cynical doctors.

Maybe a trannie corporal?

Korea could work! Oh shit, it's been done (MASH!). Another classic!

Vot is your name?

Don't tell him Pike!

Yeah, maybe they could do something along the lines of some mobile army surgical hospital. Have some sexy nurses and some bitter, cynical doctors.

Maybe a trannie corporal?

You beat me by two seconds, but I have to admit you beat me!

I met a teenager a few years back - supposedly bright, lots of grade A O levels, etc, etc. Was of the opinion that the Nazis won WW2.

They did. A lot of them got well-paid jobs in NASA and the US Defense industry.

They did. A lot of them got well-paid jobs in NASA and the US Defense industry.

Like Doctor Strangelove, and Werner Von Braun?

I thought it was only my Father who liked this crap. Poor scripts, poor acting and ok gags. All in all typical BBC rubish, just like last of the summer wine.

Would have been better off making a modern day steptoe.