House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northerner

Quorn Plans European Expansion As Demand For Meat-Free Protein Soars

Tried it (quorn sausage on a BBQ) but did not finish it. It says here (and I can't believe the firm is from Yorkshire) that people who could eat meat are eating quorn instead. Don't understand it but good on the firm for exporting the stuff. As they say round here, where there's muck there's brass.

QUORN Foods, the maker of the fast growing Quorn meat substitute, is to expand into Germany, Denmark and Finland this month as part of plans to significantly increase its presence on the continent.

The firm, which is based in Stokesley in North Yorkshire, said Germany represents a significant growth opportunity as the country’s £78m meat-free market is growing at 30 per cent a year. Kevin Brennan, CEO of Quorn said Germans tend to be in favour of ethical and sustainable food production and a large number are open to reducing meat in their diets and exploring protein alternatives. “Despite the challenging economic environment in the euro zone countries, we believe the unique nature of Quorn enables us to continue to invest in new markets,” he said. “We’re confident that Quorn can become a market leading brand.”

Quorn is also planning to launch in Denmark and Finland later this month and the company is exploring other countries such as Spain and France. “We’re seeing growth all over the world, as people re-think their meat-eating habits and becoming more aware of the ethical, health and environmental benefits Quorn offers,” said Mr Brennan. “For the first time, more carnivores than vegetarians are eating our products.”

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/business-news/business-headlines/quorn-plans-european-expansion-as-demand-for-meat-free-protein-soars-1-6883715

Tried it - some okay, some bland. Stick with seitan or tvp IMO if you don't fancy meat (as you can make your own and it's not grown in vats which are probably worse than the worse 'meat'!)

Guest eight

Does the fact they've got Mo Farrah fronting their advertising suggest that Quorn is the main ingredient in halal pork chops?

Good news for Stokesley though - not exactly an employment hotspot, yet houses there are crazy expensive.

It is a press release about firms plans to expand into Europe.

Some retailers think simply opening shop is all you need to do..In some cases, they are correct.

Selling a Quorn Pastie is a real Pastie unsold though.

It's OK, but you really need some kind of sauce to cover up the bland taste. There are much better alternatives to meats around, though; some of the veggie burgers these days taste pretty good, for example.

I just googled Quorn to find out what the hell it's actually made of....apparently Mycoprotein, which is some sort of fungus?

I'm always skeptical of any foods that come in a box and are made in factories.

Not convinced that Quorn is healthier than eating good quality meat sparingly.

Not a one-way street then ...

From vegetarian to confirmed carnivore

John Nicholson was a strict vegetarian for more than 20 years. But when he and his partner became ill, they had a carnivorous conversion.

Growing up as a working-class kid in the North in the Sixties, food was incredibly limited. It wasn’t like today, where everyone has groaning cupboards of unused goods; we had just enough food to get through each week. Meals were plain and boring, but everything was wholesome and home-cooked.

.....By 1982, I was living in the North of Scotland in a sort of croft with my partner, Dawn. Two years later, we decided to stop eating meat because we used to see all the cattle taken away to the slaughterhouse and we were growing a lot of our own food anyway.

....We were very smug about our lifestyle, which we thought was both healthy and morally correct. But after about six or seven years of being vegetarian, we both started to get slowly and progressively more ill.

....After 17 years of having something you get used to it, you just think it’s always going to be with you, and then, suddenly, it’s not. I stopped filling my entire meals with carbohydrates – wheat, rice and potatoes – and introduced all meats, butter, cream, lard and goose fat. But it was pure food, nothing processed. And I thrived on it.

....Yes, my diet is important but the really shocking thing, and the thing that I really wanted to explore in the book, is how we’ve been fed this healthy-eating orthodoxy for 30 years and many of us have got sicker as a result. That’s the real scandal of it.

Full article: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/from-vegetarian-to-confirmed-carnivore-8505787.html

From memory, quorn came about because Mr Rank (wheat, Hull) had loads of left over husks and stuff from milling.

He had a chat with Mr ICI (chemicals, Middleborough) and they kitted out a lab to work out how to turn the milling leftovers into food.

This was post-war, waste-not, want not.

God knows how long it went on but they come up with a fermented fungal soup.

They eventually managed to turn it into quorn which is fugging horrid. And it does not my guts in.

Tofu - depp fried, ask me for the magic recipe - is much better.

Any quorn needs to be cooked with something that imparts flavour to it.

I think on the whole the mince works best, because it most easily takes on the flavours around it. If you want veggie sausages, try Cauldron Foods "lincolnshire" ones for a bit more flavour (but still fry them up with good accompaniment: a little tomato, onion and pepper for instance).

I wouldn't touch it....but people will buy anything if told it is cool and good for you......there are far better things that are cool and good for you with a name better than quorn. ;)

Tofu - depp fried, ask me for the magic recipe - is much better.

Tofu tends to be genuinely disgusting unless expertly cooked. The only thing I have confidence to do with it is to add it to a soup that's going to be creamed, where the liquidised tofu is lost in the tasty ingredients.

I have just one fond memory of eating tofu when I could detect it as such. A chinese restaurant in Pisa had made something very nice from it.

Quorn is not a good thing. It is too processed. Why not buy real mushrooms?

Quorn is not a good thing. It is too processed. Why not buy real mushrooms?

....because eating lumps of tasteless rubber is so much more sophisticated..... ;)

It might be worth investing in producers of "synthetic meat" or meat alternatives.

In the future, only the rich can afford meat as there are so many mouths to feed in the future. David Braben will be right, as predicted in his game Frontier Elite 2 (the year 3200).

tutorial5.gif

....because eating lumps of tasteless rubber is so much more sophisticated..... ;)

I can't believe how it is marketed, but tasteless rubber, sort of sums it up! Why not get some exotic strange mushrooms, and cook them in butter, or olive oil! There's no reason a vegetarian meal should be horrible (India is a fine model, smashing food there), but then you lose the "hair shirt" martyr look! And some people like to "suffer for their art" ,and need to be seen suffering. :wacko:

Quorn mince is ok for chilli con carne and spag bol.

Ditto their Chicken style pieces for curries.

But the rest of it is shite, especially their revolting hot-dogs.

I was brought up to never waste food and to eat what is put in front of me or starve, but those hot dogs went straight in the bin. Eat that mank...? I'd rather lick my own ärsehole...

XYY

Quorn mince is ok for chilli con carne and spag bol.

Ditto their Chicken style pieces for curries.

But the rest of it is shite, especially their revolting hot-dogs.

I was brought up to never waste food and to eat what is put in front of me or starve, but those hot dogs went straight in the bin. Eat that mank...? I'd rather lick my own ärsehole...

XYY

You are a talented athlete! :unsure:

Tofu tends to be genuinely disgusting unless expertly cooked. The only thing I have confidence to do with it is to add it to a soup that's going to be creamed, where the liquidised tofu is lost in the tasty ingredients.

I have just one fond memory of eating tofu when I could detect it as such. A chinese restaurant in Pisa had made something very nice from it.

This:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/02/vegan-experience-crispy-tofu-worth-eating-recipe.html

With the additional tip that you coat the tofu with a mix of corn flour (not wheat flour) and salt.

I put the mix in a freezer bag and shake.

In a wierd twist, the tofu I buy from a health food shop in the SW, Clearspot, comes from a factory in Malton, quite close to the Malton bacon factory. Massive place, 1000s of pigs fed in it from the wolds. In its day, you could always get a job there and overtime and much better pay for night shifts. Now the factory has gone under a few times, is much smaller and is full of Poles. The only downside is it did send you a bit nuts, knife crazy and blood thirsty.