House Price Crash Forum

Vince Cable: Build On Golf Courses To Solve The Housing Crisis

HOLA441

I'm all in favour of liberalising planning, but I cannot see the need to compulsorily purchase golf courses. The housing shortage could be solved overnight if we built a relatively few houses within every single town and village in the country. Large developments of slave boxes on gold course or any other land is not the solution to providing housing that people want. These developments only provide housing that people tolerate.

Who said anything about compulsory purchase? If planning permission were granted they'd sell the land, or part of it, in a jiffy

Including sections on the edge of existing towns

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

I live in Surrey (questioning getting out now as I am well priced out).

I have been in a rented place for a few years. Last year there was a open council commitee to discuss proposals for building on a patch of land, just off an A road that is an unused field that backs onto somewood. A lot of the locals (who already own houses of course) were deeply against it. They were their first and its where their labradors took a dump each morning before galvating into the woodland.

I stood up and mentioned that as someone local with a young family, the housing would be very helpful to those of us yet to have our own property within the local area...

I kid you not, they all turned round and looked at me like scum with a look of total disdain.

Jeez. My sympathies

HOLA444

Of course the problem is that we will then concrete over all of the UK and then where will we be .... plus other such nonsense, housing takes up .... wait for it .... 1.2% of the UK. Yes one point two percent and 9% is urban. There is no shortage of land only a shortage of lane with 'planning permission' and that is political and controlled by the 1%. No reason why we can't DOUBLE the number of houses in UK. Also there are rows and rows of empty houses (could be redeveloped) in the North but no jobs. Instead everything is centered on London.

I think you'll find that forcing pensioners into prostitution is not the way forward and that's the inevitable result of building on golf courses. You whipper snappers think you know the price of everything but I can sure you in no certain terms young man that you know the value if nothing. Imagine, forcing children to eat dog poo, that's what it will lead to! Think of the wildlife man!. You should take a look in the mirror!

HOLA445

And you think doubling the number of houses wouldn't be very, very noticable? I get rather sick of people saying "It's only x%" (in this case apparently only the land the house itself sits on and not everything else that goes with them), as if because the number is a little one it's irrelevent. Try having 1.2% of the pixels on your screen dead and you'll find it very, very annoying.

Sure, you could easily fit that number of houses in but anyone pretending that wouldn't make the place rather more unpleasant is utterly deluded.

Oh no not the number of pixels in my screen argument!

Well you've just won now.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

You'd have thought that building on a Golf course would make much more money for the land owner than running a golf course and therefore that would take care of the situation on it's own.

Exactly

All about planning permission

HOLA4417

Who said anything about compulsory purchase? If planning permission were granted they'd sell the land, or part of it, in a jiffy

Including sections on the edge of existing towns

Guilty. Golfers/golf courses drive me to take extreme positions. All golfers have V8 gas guzzlers so can easily pop to Scotland or Spain if they feel the need to privatise the land to hit a little ball in the long grass with a bit of metal.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

All golfers have V8 gas guzzlers so can easily pop to Scotland or Spain if they feel the need to privatise the land to hit a little ball in the long grass with a bit of metal.

You've never actually been to a golf club have you?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Sadly, I have. I try hard not to repeat the experience.

In which case you'll know that the vast bulk of the players there are ordinary working people who don't drive V8 gas guzzlers or have the time to drive up to Scotland to play.

Also, in the event that they did start building on golf courses it'd be the ordinary Joe's pay and play courses that got concreted over, the elite's country clubs would escape untouched.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

In which case you'll know that the vast bulk of the players there are ordinary working people who don't drive V8 gas guzzlers or have the time to drive up to Scotland to play.

Also, in the event that they did start building on golf courses it'd be the ordinary Joe's pay and play courses that got concreted over, the elite's country clubs would escape untouched.

You've obviously never been to a Surrey golf course.

HOLA4424

You've obviously never been to a Surrey golf course.

You have probably not been to any of the northern municipal courses built on old slag heaps and ex council tips.

In fact you would almost certainly not want to live in a house built on some of the UKs golf courses if you knew what lay inches under the surface of some of them

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/11236546.Council_facing___3_5m_bill_to_remove_waste_at_Waterstock_Golf_Club/

http://www.golfecology.co.uk/articles/landfill.html

Edited by stormymonday_2011

HOLA4425

They already built on most of the school playing fields.. this seems a pretty natural progression of where we are headed.

I presume Vince is long golf clubs.. A lot of people should stand to make a tidy profit on the change of use, in fact many canny investors are probably putting in planning applications for golf courses as we speak!