House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

Christmas Lights

A household on my commute has decorated their garden tree in white Christmas lights. It seems a tad early (except for booking Christmas work meals). They had to be first :)

The local shops (Boots to name one) also have decent size sections with 'Christmas gifts' there on the shelves. I even spotted the dreaded Christmas jumper in a store. However, I haven't seen anyone wearing one yet!

Has anyone else spotted any other typical Christmas 'things'?

Yep. Lights, selection boxes, Santa chocolates and two people have asked me what I want for Christmas as they are currently shopping. I said I wanted Halloween (I don't coz I hate it) but pleaseeee, it's far too early.

I'm not much interested in shops unless I need things but I've seen Christmas stuff in shops since September. Lots of outdoor decorations at houses but november has been the earliest I've seen them here. There seems to be a lot of competition between "homeowners" to have the best christmas lights show. Yawn!

We have a family get together christmas meal and I give the younger members of the family some cash to spend or save but apart from that christmas doesn't interest me. I don't put decorations up, don't send cards and generally just ignore christmas. However I suppose many get drawn into the hype and excess for one day.......if they can afford it. I think as each year goes by more and more people are cutting back due to other day to day financial struggles.

A household on my commute has decorated their garden tree in white Christmas lights. It seems a tad early (except for booking Christmas work meals). They had to be first :)

Has anyone else spotted any other typical Christmas 'things'?

Only B&Q selling garden hosepipes I can use on carol singers...

Guest eight

We usually spend Christmas Day at my In Laws, a tradition going back many years. MIL died a while back and FIL is currently gravely ill in hospital.

I think Christmas might be a bit awkward this year. I'm hoping Mrs. 8 doesn't go mental with the presents in an attempt to somehow compensate.