House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

Adverts With Childish Voiceovers

This trend is really starting to grate. I see and hear it far too often these days. From the use of actual children to tell people what to do - to the growing trend to have (mostly) women talking in extremely condescending ways - (Banks seem to really love this)

Was on a flight recently - think it was Thomson - and the entire safety video is a 4 year old telling me how to be safe on the flight - and do what I am told....

Well sorry to sound rude - but shut up ya wee **** and get back to your Lego.

Or is it just me being annoyed by this.....:)

Advertising is a weird thing! I used to like the old adverts of hat-wearing dad, driving a Ford Anglia, smoking a pipe, or cigar, whilst his adoring wife and 2.4 children, ate Murray-Mints, and marvelled about how white a particular washing powder makes their clothes!

These and stupid CGI cuddly animals on adverts - like they're aimed at children, when, in fact, the target is just stupid adults.

Another, connected, bugbear is grown women, with responsible jobs, speaking like eight-year-olds...Why? :ph34r:

Makes my grown-up woman's blood boil!! :unsure:

Am I just getting old and nostalgic, or did adverts used to be lighthearted and self deprecating.

Now, everything is pretentious. I guess its the PC americanization of everything.

Yes...and yes.

These and stupid CGI cuddly animals on adverts - like they're aimed at children, when, in fact, the target is just stupid adults.

Another, connected, bugbear is grown women, with responsible jobs, speaking like eight-year-olds...Why? :ph34r:

Don't watch the latest ones telling us how banks are now being better at lending money - and explaining in the most patronising way as to how the banks did things wrong before. Cringing. I think its TSB.

Don't watch the latest ones telling us how banks are now being better at lending money - and explaining in the most patronising way as to how the banks did things wrong before. Cringing. I think its TSB.

I moved town and got a Coop-Bank account! As my last bank were not represented there! The first debit card I got said "Coop Bank, Good with money"! The replacement card just says "Coop Bank" Noit very good with money then?

I saw it yesterday in the cinema. Cringeworthy.

This trend is really starting to grate. I see and hear it far too often these days. From the use of actual children to tell people what to do - to the growing trend to have (mostly) women talking in extremely condescending ways - (Banks seem to really love this)

Was on a flight recently - think it was Thomson - and the entire safety video is a 4 year old telling me how to be safe on the flight - and do what I am told....

Well sorry to sound rude - but shut up ya wee **** and get back to your Lego.

Or is it just me being annoyed by this..... :)

Not this one....Yes see what you mean. :P

When i was a student in the 80s, advertising seemed like the absolute coolest, most in demand, career it was possible to imagine. Do students today think the same? if so it means I must have got old and grumpy because today it seems like the devils work, that any decent person would be ashamed to be part of. (coincidentally, banking was also very popular).

the target of ads is always stupid people,

and all ad campaigns are extensively focus-grouped prior to launch nowadays,

so what the OP thinks (or feels) doesn't matter. literally.

So youre telling me this means I am not stupid ? :)

Can't remember the last time I saw an advert.. doesn't sound like I'm missing much.

I seem to remember quite enjoying the tobacco and beer adverts occasionally, I doubt I'm their target audience any more though.

Because more and more UK adults are child-like.

In a couple of generations we seem to have gone from the likes of Jack Hawkins, John Mills, Dickie Attenborough, Anna Neagle, Kenneth Moore, Virginia McKenna, John Gregson and Co fighting off the evil Nazis to a society where we probably would now surrender to the Telly Tubbies.

In a couple of generations we seem to have gone from the likes of Jack Hawkins, John Mills, Dickie Attenborough, Anna Neagle, Kenneth Moore, Virginia McKenna, John Gregson and Co fighting off the evil Nazis to a society where we probably would now surrender to the Telly Tubbies.

The child's voice is to make you feel guilty for not buying the product. :blink:

Can't remember the last time I saw an advert.. doesn't sound like I'm missing much.

I seem to remember quite enjoying the tobacco and beer adverts occasionally, I doubt I'm their target audience any more though.

I'm forced to watch them in the cinema. Otherwise I dont.

I agree, but whose fault is it? The product of too much nannying by the state? And how can it be reversed?