House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Uk New Car Sales Hit 10-Year High In September

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29503364

New UK car sales had their strongest September in ten years, boosted by confidence in the economic recovery, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders has said.

Sales reached 425,861, up 5.6% on the same time last year, and represented the 31st consecutive monthly increase.

Almost two million new cars have been sold so far this year - 9.1% up on the same period last year.

September is usually a busy month because of the new registration plate.

SMMT chief executive Mike Hawes said: "September's strong performance underlined the continuing robustness of the UK new car market, particularly in the context of last September's bumper volumes.

"Demand for the new 64-plate has been boosted by intensifying confidence in the UK economy, with consumers attracted by a wide range of exciting, increasingly fuel-efficient, new cars."

However, he warned that the market was coming off the boil.

"In the months since March - which saw an 18% jump in registrations - the growth has shown signs of levelling off as the market starts to find its natural running rate," Mr Hawes said.

Surely the headline should be new car leases hit 10 year high?

I did read that headline earlier and wondered how so many people can affording new cars?

Surely that's several hundred pounds per month?

Say £15k / 3 years / 12 months = £416pcm

Maybe MEW? Last time I asked this question was 2005. Lots more retirees around since 2005.

Pity theyre probably all Nissan juke shitboxes (sorry to any owners on the forum).

Why cant everyone buy nice Beemer 7s or audi A8s so I can buy one dirt cheap in 5 or 6 years.

Dunno whose buying though. £15k for a fiesta with reasonable spec. No thanks.

I did read that headline earlier and wondered how so many people can affording new cars?

I've been wondering this as well. One can only presume it is more debt.

Surely that's several hundred pounds per month?

Say £15k / 3 years / 12 months = £416pcm

Maybe MEW? Last time I asked this question was 2005. Lots more retirees around since 2005.

You see there's your mistake.

A Ford Focus Edge

Starting from: £14,495

Finance from £149 pcm

http://www.sandicliffe.co.uk/configure/ford/focus?dn=fordfocusppc&gclid=CMi94degmMECFQMUwwod3AYAzQ

This isn't about buying a new car but renting a new car because people no longer can afford to buy one.

My Mum and Stepdad get new cars every 3/4 years. They are in their late 70's with good pensions and investments so may as well spend it.

They just passed on their "old" one to me now it is out of warranty, only has 14K miles on it.

I think a lot of it is people want the 'in' model.

On the broadspeed website you can get a new A6 2.0tdi with 190hp for a little under £24k (list nearly £32k) or an A3 saloon 1.4 petrol for a little over £24k.

I don't know who in their right mind would actually want to pay more for a cramped little A3 than an A6, but the A3 saloon is supposedly desirable now. God knows those Ford focus's on stilts, sorry 'Range rover Evoque's seem common as muck already...over £30k for something that is basically a tarted up focus!

A Ford Focus Edge

Finance from £149 pcm

http://www.sandicliffe.co.uk/configure/ford/focus?dn=fordfocusppc&gclid=CMi94degmMECFQMUwwod3AYAzQ

This isn't about buying a new car but renting a new car because people no longer can afford to buy one.

I see:

FORD FOCUS HATCHBACK 1.6 Edge 5dr

Monthly Payments £149

Number of Payments 24

Cash Price £14,495

Customer Deposit £2,753

Dealer Deposit Contribution £2,295

Amount Payable £15,186

Charge for Credit £681

Amount of Credit £9,446

GMFV £6552

Miles per Annum 6,000 Miles

Excess Mile Charge £0.06

APR 4.20%

I think a lot of it is people want the 'in' model.

On the broadspeed website you can get a new A6 2.0tdi with 190hp for a little under £24k (list nearly £32k) or an A3 saloon 1.4 petrol for a little over £24k.

I don't know who in their right mind would actually want to pay more for a cramped little A3 than an A6, but the A3 saloon is supposedly desirable now. God knows those Ford focus's on stilts, sorry 'Range rover Evoque's seem common as muck already...over £30k for something that is basically a tarted up focus!

My current ride cost someone the best part of £28k back in 2007 - I have it for sale and am struggling to get interest at £2k!

A Ford Focus Edge

Finance from £149 pcm

Exactly right. The cockroaches in the city of London squeezed pretty much the last drop of blood they can out of housing mortgages, now its time to make debt slaves out of car buyers and students.

Wake up people, its not Scotland that is a drag on the UK, its LONDON. They are NOT net contributors. They are parasites. Thiefs. London creates NOTHING. They simply make money on agency. On being middlemen and taking a cut that should not, in a free market, exist.

My current ride cost someone the best part of £28k back in 2007 - I have it for sale and am struggling to get interest at £2k!

Possibly the market is more dominated than ever by the small car - running coss, VED, insurance costs and whether it will fit in the micro garage or off street slot.

Most-popular-cars-September-2014_chartbu

The top of the range Fiesta (the 190bhp hot hatch ST) is actually about 18K. Great little car, but 18k??

Edited by Errol

Here's 2012, Premium priced and larger cars slipped off the top slot even since then.

1. Ford Fiesta 109,265 2. Vauxhall Corsa 89,434 3. Ford Focus 83,115 4. Vauxhall Astra 63,023 5. Volkswagen Golf 62,021 6. Nissan Qashqai 45,675 7. BMW 3 Series 44,521 8. Volkswagen Polo 41,901 9. Mercedes C-Class 37,261 10. BMW 1 Series 34,488

Back in 2008 there were still some family saloons in the top list. Having said that generally small cars have somewhat grown in size to compensate.

1. Ford Focus 101,593
  2. Vauxhall Corsa 99,574
  3. Ford Fiesta 99,489
  4. Vauxhall Astra 90,641
  5. Volkswagen Golf 65,029
  6. Peugeot 207 53,462
  7. BMW 3-Series 49,384
  8. Ford Mondeo 44,150
  9. Vauxhall Zafira 43,169
  10. Vauxhall Vectra 42,555
Edited by onlyme2

The run rate of PPI refunds is down on last year which will doubtless erode a source of some sales:

http://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/financial-services-products/insurance/payment-protection-insurance/ppi-compensation-refunds

Latest figs are for July (updated monthly three months in arrears).

Some in the industry are mindful of a PCP returns timebomb in 2015/16, when the 2, 3 and 4 year term PCP deals taken out in hugely increasing numbers from 2012 expire in unison with few people being willing or able to meet the balloon payment to keep the car. It may generate a new sale as a result but the effects on the used market could be marked, and this of course has an effect on the cost and effectiveness of future PCP contracts since the used value at the end of the contracted term is a key ingredient in the cost.

Edited by Joan of The Tower

Wow...£2k...im guessing its Korean?!

Nope, Vauxhall Vectra Estate Elite V6 24v Turbo 2.8 Petrol Auto.

Nice car if you're not doing many miles or ca afford the petrol!

I always wanted a fast estate car (Volvo V70 T5) and back in 2011 I guessed that only BMW, Merc etc would be making them, which would be out of my price range!! I bought the Vectra early 2011 (just over 4 years old) for £3800 with 68k miles on the clock.

It's been a great car with every extra you can think of and 250bhp. Got me from Kent to Ireland a good few times.

The only reason i'm selling is that we now only need 1 car, and I would like something a little cheaper on the fuel as we will be doing a few more miles in just the one car. Having said that if I cant get 2k for it then I will keep it as i'm only saving £900/yr in running costs over a diesel.

I always wanted a fast estate car (Volvo V70 T5) and back in 2011 I guessed that only BMW, Merc etc would be making them, which would be out of my price range!! I bought the Vectra early 2011 (just over 4 years old) for £3800 with 68k miles on the clock.

It's been a great car with every extra you can think of and 250bhp. Got me from Kent to Ireland a good few times.

The only reason i'm selling is that we now only need 1 car, and I would like something a little cheaper on the fuel as we will be doing a few more miles in just the one car. Having said that if I cant get 2k for it then I will keep it as i'm only saving £900/yr in running costs over a diesel.

Ahh...£500 road tax?

I was trying to think what it was. I did consider a 2007 Mondeo (old square shape) in 2012, so only 5 years old at £2500, but it was base spec so only £14k or so new, ended up buying a low miles 2003 model for £900....I guess the top spec Mondeos probably fall to near nothing as well.

I like the vectra/insignia vxrs but £500 road tax is a big downer, £250 is bad enough.

If it's a proven car and you've looked after it, I'd keep it. It only takes one DMF, DPF, injector, turbo or ECU/CANBUS problem to wipe out any fuel savings which are often more negligible than you'd think.

Edited by chronyx

I'll be honest.

I have never met anyone who has ever bought a brand new car.

I bought a new car once. Renault 5. Don't regret buying it but would never buy another new car. Cars are more reliable now so there's nothing wrong with driving older cars.

I bought a 2006 mondeo tdci ghia six months ago off ebay for £1000 just under 100,000 on the clock. should do me for 4-5 years.

The run rate of PPI refunds is down on last year which will doubtless erode a source of some sales:

http://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/financial-services-products/insurance/payment-protection-insurance/ppi-compensation-refunds

Latest figs are for July (updated monthly three months in arrears).

Some in the industry are mindful of a PCP returns timebomb in 2015/16, when the 2, 3 and 4 year term PCP deals taken out in hugely increasing numbers from 2012 expire in unison with few people being willing or able to meet the balloon payment to keep the car. It may generate a new sale as a result but the effects on the used market could be marked, and this of course has an effect on the cost and effectiveness of future PCP contracts since the used value at the end of the contracted term is a key ingredient in the cost.

Fear not, everyone will be cashing in their pension pots by then

I bought a new car once. Renault 5. Don't regret buying it but would never buy another new car. Cars are more reliable now so there's nothing wrong with driving older cars.

I bought a 2006 mondeo tdci ghia six months ago off ebay for £1000 just under 100,000 on the clock. should do me for 4-5 years.

Unless it's an expensive prestige one like a Bentley, Porsche, Range Rover etc etc......which top the tables for being unreliable.