House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blobloblob

What Does Liquid Hand Soap Have In Common With Yeast That Grows On Fruit?

Allergy related question for HPCers of a chemistry persuasion. If I eat apples, grapes, blueberries or other fruit that grows a natural yeast on its skin, I come out in little spots on my hands and feet. They're like whitehead spots you get on your face in your teens. Diyshidrotic eczema apparently.

Anyway, even though I avoid these fruits I still get the odd outbreak and I'm starting to suspect liquid hand soap. Anyone know what substances they have in common?

Allergy related question for HPCers of a chemistry persuasion. If I eat apples, grapes, blueberries or other fruit that grows a natural yeast on its skin, I come out in little spots on my hands and feet. They're like whitehead spots you get on your face in your teens. Diyshidrotic eczema apparently.

Anyway, even though I avoid these fruits I still get the odd outbreak and I'm starting to suspect liquid hand soap. Anyone know what substances they have in common?

I am no expert, but sometimes strong detergents kill the good as well as the bad....a mild medicated soap might help.

Talking of yeasts, picked this great book up in a charity recently....really interesting, will try making mead next week. ;)

fermentation.jpg

I think it just means that you are a fruit.

soap ingredients to avoid

http://www.mountaingirlbotanics.com/store/index.jsp?page=soap-ingredients-to-avoid

and don't forget that if your liquid soap is in a plastic container, you need to clean it regularly - a refillable soap dispenser can cover your hands with 26 times more bacteria than you started with – including those that cause rashes

I never understood what was wrong with a good old bar of soap, yes it gets soggy from time to time and so it forces you to give the sink a wipe down - THIS IS A FEATURE

The only advantage of liquid soap is that you can screw the container to the wall to stop people stealing it.

soap ingredients to avoid

http://www.mountaingirlbotanics.com/store/index.jsp?page=soap-ingredients-to-avoid

and don't forget that if your liquid soap is in a plastic container, you need to clean it regularly - a refillable soap dispenser can cover your hands with 26 times more bacteria than you started with – including those that cause rashes

I never understood what was wrong with a good old bar of soap, yes it gets soggy from time to time and so it forces you to give the sink a wipe down - THIS IS A FEATURE

The only advantage of liquid soap is that you can screw the container to the wall to stop people stealing it.

My uncle used to nail his bars of soap to the wall.

I am no expert, but sometimes strong detergents kill the good as well as the bad....a mild medicated soap might help.

Talking of yeasts, picked this great book up in a charity recently....really interesting, will try making mead next week. ;)

fermentation.jpg

I believe this same book was published in the USA under the title 'Living With Thrush'.

Fruit extract?

What flavour is it?

hmmm, not sure but I suspect it'a Tart's Boudoir judging by the smell.

If it helps, I also suspect that silicone bathroom sealant may trigger outbreaks, but I use it so infrequently I don't really think I have enough info to be certain.

I currently have this on my left hand, between my fingers, it's also called pompholyx. I self-cured but it has flared up again recently after contact with the allergen, which is......

...wheat/gluten, apparently!

I scratched my head for months about what the environmental trigger might have been, and it was only after a holiday where my diet changed to include lots of toast, sandwiches and cakes that I figured this was the culprit (it flared up worse than ever). The recent flare up has been triggered by cake again (that I was told was wheat-free, but it seems that it wasn't).

So maybe think about things other than the fruit that could be causing it.

Apparently, this is often caused by an overgrowth of candida, or more specifically, when candida (which is always harmlessly present as part of normal gut flora/fauna) transforms into its fungal form, often in response to antibiotics, and it becomes damaging to gut walls, allowing undigested food particles to enter the bloodstream and cause allergic reactions. The docs won't tell you this, they were next to useless for this in my experience and aren't interested in understanding possible causes, but this seems to be a plausible theory from t'internet, and it makes sense to me.