House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bootsox

Validity Of Isp Speed Testing

I am sure that the ISPs have wised up to speed-testers like speedtest and allow these websites special internet access (so as to give good speed-test results).

I think it is called profiling or shaping.
3807668937.png
But if you go to, for example, this website, there are large files that you can download for experimental purposes:
For which I get:
….and 560 kb/sec x 8 = 4.5 Mbps
Opinions please?

Speed tests are OKish but mostly a waste of time.

It all depends on when and from where you access a given server. Lots of people use speed test software that is based in X country and use it to test an ISP based in Y country - pointless.

If your speed is in the ball park that is as good as it gets. Don't waste your time trying to get a perfect speed.

I notice that the speed test is in the UK and the download file address in Germany. The server at the far end and everything in between will slow you down (the connection will only be as fast as the slowest link in it), speed testers try to have lots of servers so there are as few bits like that as possible. That might be unrealistic for most normal usage but it's the closest you're going to get to measuring the capability of the bit under your ISP's control.

I stream a lot of stuff (not netflix). During the day I get amazing speeds and stream in HD quality. At night when more people are using the bandwidth it is much slower and more often than not have to revert to SD quality.

The later in the day the more chance the ISP's will shape their traffic..

It's all a compromise. If every server in the world suddenly decided to hit the main BBC news page then it would 'go unavailable' even with the levels of bandwidth available to them.

Your post stating you will test in half an hour was at 10.17 a.m. and this post is at 6.20 p.m.

:rolleyes:

Download speed was 10000 Mbps but ping was 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999 ms.