House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

2M Disability Cars But How Many Blue Badges?

http://www.trafford.gov.uk/residents/transport-and-streets/parking/blue-badge-scheme.aspx

it's much harder to get a blue badge, so why so many disability cars?

A girl at work gets one every three years from her disabled father who gets them cheap under motability; it's auto but perfectly drivable by somebody able bodied.

A girl at work gets one every three years from her disabled father who gets them cheap under motability; it's auto but perfectly drivable by somebody able bodied.

I knew a friend who's g/f got a new car every couple of years from the government because she had dodgy hands.

Did she f&&&k - she played pool alright. Just another scammer.

I knew a friend who's g/f got a new car every couple of years from the government because she had dodgy hands.

Did she f&&&k - she played pool alright. Just another scammer.

Two women I know, both about 40, have coincidentally problems with their hand tendons such that changing gear is painful so they are considering automatics. It sounds like they should be thinking more ambitiously and start considering free cars.

A lady I now gets a free Mercedes van, with an electric tail lift for wheelchairs. That's because she doesn't walk!

These things are not strictly free in the sense of the word.

If they are verified disabled they will get disability living allowance. Comes in at different rates depending on the severity of the disability. It is also meant as a benefit to assist with mobility around the place.

Many will exchange this benefit for a car under the motability scheme under the either or principle. They can have the cash for taxi/busses ect or use it for a vehicle.

Bog standard Fords and Vuaxhalls are free under the plan. When you start moving up the scale a down-payment on the 3 year lease agreement is required. Adaptation if needed have to be paid for by the applicant. You can get top of the range range rovers under the motability plans

The person mentioned with the Merc van with tailift will almost certainly have put a not inconsequential sum of their own money forward to cater for a vehicle of that standard. Or maybe Rowntree funded it for them.Down payments for 3 year leases on these sort of motors can be £3000

These things are not strictly free in the sense of the word.

If they are verified disabled they will get disability living allowance. Comes in at different rates depending on the severity of the disability. It is also meant as a benefit to assist with mobility around the place.

Many will exchange this benefit for a car under the motability scheme under the either or principle. They can have the cash for taxi/busses ect or use it for a vehicle.

Bog standard Fords and Vuaxhalls are free under the plan. When you start moving up the scale a down-payment on the 3 year lease agreement is required. Adaptation if needed have to be paid for by the applicant. You can get top of the range range rovers under the motability plans

The person mentioned with the Merc van with tailift will almost certainly have put a not inconsequential sum of their own money forward to cater for a vehicle of that standard. Or maybe Rowntree funded it for them.Down payments for 3 year leases on these sort of motors can be £3000

All I know is she didn't work and had the newest car on the estate every couple of years.... :P

All I know is she didn't work and had the newest car on the estate every couple of years.... :P

There's no newer cars on our street than the mobility cars.

http://www.trafford.gov.uk/residents/transport-and-streets/parking/blue-badge-scheme.aspx

it's much harder to get a blue badge, so why so many disability cars?

These seem to be the criteria for the car

Eligibility

The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair by exchanging their Government funded mobility allowance . If you receive either the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMC DLA), the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP) , the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS) or the Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) you may be eligible to join the Motability Scheme.

http://www.motability.co.uk/understanding-the-scheme/eligibility/

Can I get a "Motabiliy Maserati" for stubbing my toe a bit?

Can I get a "Motabiliy Maserati" for stubbing my toe a bit?

No, it's not on the list

http://www.motability.co.uk/

Do you qualify?

Daily living difficulties

You may get the daily living component of PIP if you need help with things like:

• preparing or eating food
  • washing, bathing and using the toilet
  • dressing and undressing
  • reading and communicating
  • managing your medicines or treatments
  • making decisions about money
  • engaging with other people
Mobility difficulties

You may get the mobility component of PIP if you need help with going out or moving around.

What makes you think there are fewer blue badges than Motabiltiy cars?

I would have thought there would be quite a few more badges than cars. A lot of people who have them don't or can't drive. I have driven a few such to their hospital appts. etc.