House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Nalmefene - Anybody Tried It?

It reduces the urge to drink and is for people drinking more than 7.5 units per day (men) 5 units per day women (yes I know ladies, it's so unfair :P ).

I like the sound of it because I'm in that category. I don't drink spirits or wine, don't drink in the day, rarely get drunk, but most nights I fancy a few pints (anything from 2 - 6, usually 3 or 4), and had three pints last night for example, about 6.4 units. The negative effects are minor but noticeable: carry a bit more weight, I get a slump in the late afternoon, and my previously-excellent memory has dipped to merely good. I rarely go a day without having anything and it is, being honest, an effort because it's just a wee bit boring sat there late in the evening sober.

This sounds ideal as I would like to just, well, reduce the urge a bit and not drink most nights as I think it would do me good.

Anybody?

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Clockwork-Orange-drug-stops-craving-booze/story-23038298-detail/story.html

Is that a scrabble teaser?

You need a hobby. Perhaps, spend more time on HPC?

(I'll get me coat).

Very good!

I lead full and active days, enjoy my job, get out on kayak, bike or shanks' pony.

I usually then slump onto the settee anywhere between 8 or 9 with no more physical energy to put up some shelves or suchlike but with a desire enjoy the warm relaxing glow of some beer, as well as the taste.

I've no desire to give it up entirely (I have 40 pints of homebrew maturing as I type) but would like to, well, just want it less as this drug is claiming to do.

Maybe do what the French do with their wine and meals, have a large glass of water whilst drinking. Will trick your body (at least stomach) into thinking that you are drinking far more than you are, will be naturally hydrating you counteracting the dehydrating effect of the alcohol and many of the negative effects. Probably clear the pallet an give you more of a taste hit from the beer too.

I had a bottle of stella cidre (2.6 units maybe? 4.6%?) the other night. Does that qualify me for it?

It's only 1.8 units extra compared to the control group of counselling only.

I'm sticking with the pop - I guarantee the effects of the drug long term will be worse.

After all, they're both drugs right!

Maybe do what the French do with their wine and meals, have a large glass of water whilst drinking.

Italians customarily mix the water and the wine. In the same glass!

Sometimes when I reach a pub and am mildly dehydrated (as in, I've been hiking or cycling on a hot day) I'll order two pints: one of beer, the other of plain water.

Italians customarily mix the water and the wine. In the same glass!

Sometimes when I reach a pub and am mildly dehydrated (as in, I've been hiking or cycling on a hot day) I'll order two pints: one of beer, the other of plain water.

Good practice....I will often add water to a glass of wine, very refreshing....in Spain they have what they call tinto de verano. ;)

Personally I'd cut down the pints a bit and stay off the drugs. Would it hurt to limit it to 2 - 3 pints rather than 3 - 4?

For me, drink is social. If I am on my own, I don't drink - I have no urge to drink or need to drink. The family have been away for a few days and it haven't touched a drop. However, when we sit down together, I will cheerfully nail an entire bottle of red on occasion, more normally half a bottle. Don't know if that really is a problem, I suppose I'm doing 30 - 40 units a week.

I don't think I need a drug to stop me drinking! I think drink tells you at the the end!

Big pharma in search of your tax money

http://www.fiercepharma.com/story/lundbeck-launches-anti-binge-drinking-drug-selincro-some-eu-countries/2013-04-22

Estimated 600,000 people in the UK could qualify for this drug.

At £3 a pop x 365 days a year that is potentially big money.

Personally I would rather they let me spend the money on drink

As other have mentioned if you want to reduce your consumption of booze just drink half a pint of water per unit and it wont cost you or the taxpayers a penny

... most nights I fancy a few pints (anything from 2 - 6, usually 3 or 4), and had three pints last night for example, about 6.4 units.

It looks as if that's about 540 calories, over 20% of the recommended daily intake for a man. Watch that waistline!