House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northerner

Time (Bst To Gmt)

"British Summer Time officially ends on Sunday, October 26 at 2am. That's when the clocks go back and we revert to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)".

Why?

I know about the war, and Scottish people afraid of the dark in the morning, but what a load of fuss. My long-case hates being mucked about and if no one had thought about it in the first place then we would just get on with it. If it's such a good idea, why not do it once every season?

It was the politics of envy again. The populist government of the day wanted to be seen to irritate those who'd inherited grandfather clocks. Just wait until Labour get in again - they'll be coming for your timepieces.

It's been in the house longer than I have, now't to do with me!

Is there a suit of armour in the hall as well?

WTF is a long case

It's what some people would call "a grandfather clock"!

I am very educational!

You just wanted to boast that you have a long-case, didn't you?

Always fancied one myself.....and they have been falling in price now for about thirty years because nobody wants brown furniture anymore. For a really good one, that's a proper brass faced one with nice proportions (slender waist) early Georgian say 1720...about £4,000 retail or £2,000 auction value. Meanwhile a fat painted faced one from the Victorian era, almost worthless these days.

http://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/292229/brass-dial-oak-longcase-clock/

The odd MP keeps going on about having double summer time and then summer time (current time) in winter which makes a lot of sense as you get light evenings.

It always seems to get quietly shelved as some vested interests don't like it.

Always fancied one myself.....and they have been falling in price now for about thirty years because nobody wants brown furniture anymore. For a really good one, that's a proper brass faced one with nice proportions (slender waist) early Georgian say 1720...about £4,000 retail or £2,000 auction value. Meanwhile a fat painted faced one from the Victorian era, almost worthless these days.

http://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/292229/brass-dial-oak-longcase-clock/

That's quite amazing that you can get a piece of craftsmanship in wood and horology (?) from nearly 300 years ago for less than a months rent for a London house.

I bought a welsh dresser in oak from 19thc for a grand, and a beautiful Victorian Ash wardrobe, both pre-2008.

Probably worth half what I paid for them.

But better than losing money on property!

Instead of working 9-5 and screwing about with the clocks to try to accommodate this, why not work 8-4 and leave the clocks alone?

It has the same effect as year-round BST and keeps midday at the traditional time of 12 o'clock.

The odd MP keeps going on about having double summer time and then summer time (current time) in winter which makes a lot of sense as you get light evenings.

It always seems to get quietly shelved as some vested interests don't like it.

Why bother with the double bit? It gets dark late enough anyway in summer.

Instead of working 9-5 and screwing about with the clocks to try to accommodate this, why not work 8-4 and leave the clocks alone?

It has the same effect as year-round BST and keeps midday at the traditional time of 12 o'clock.

Makes sense to me (even though I don't like getting up before 8, but that's just how it fits in with everything else so an overall one-off shift of everything ultiamtely makes no difference to that).

Why bother with the double bit? It gets dark late enough anyway in summer.Makes sense to me (even though I don't like getting up before 8, but that's just how it fits in with everything else so an overall one-off shift of everything ultiamtely makes no difference to that).

Because of the other end of the day; you don't really want bright sunlight at half four in the morning when you're trying to sleep.

Because of the other end of the day; you don't really want bright sunlight at half four in the morning when you're trying to sleep.

Or at half five either. In the middle of summer the sun rises well before most people do anyway. That's one reason for having curtains. The sun might affect getting to sleep, it shouldn't affect staying asleep just as long as it doesn't rise straight into your eyes.

Or at half five either. In the middle of summer the sun rises well before most people do anyway. That's one reason for having curtains. The sun might affect getting to sleep, it shouldn't affect staying asleep just as long as it doesn't rise straight into your eyes.

Curtains? You posh git :P

I'd still go for double summer time. I can use the hour of daylight at the end to stay out or in the garden, I don't make use of any daylight prior to six in the morning.

I like a bit of dark in the evening. And going to bed before sunrise (going to bed after happens a few times every summer). I don't make use of daylight prior to 9am very often though and would love it a bit later in winter. I could shuffle myself around but it would be simpler if everything else fitted that too.

I think we ought to have a big screen in space that blocks out the sunlight when it's time to go to bed.

Don't suggest it to David Cameron. :blink:

I find it annoying too. Having to rotate my granite sundial back and forth.

I find it amazing that the Government can affect the Earth's orbit, by legislation! I feel am having a Canute moment! I'd rather have a **** one, and I won't care what the clock says!