House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GloomMonger

Running A 240V Device Off 12V - Is This Ok?

Calling all you electrical engineers / clever folks out there. I have a factory installed dvd system in my car. The audio for the wireless headphones is sent from a transmitter in the boot over 863Mhz UHF. The transmitter has an audio in from the dvd player and a 12v power supply. Sadly, the transmitter only powers on for a few seconds and I have bought a replacement off ebay. Due to the age of the transmitter I couldn't find the exact same model but it's the same brand. Whereas the broken one has DC 12v written next to Power In, the replacement only has DC and comes with a household 3 pin cable. What will happen if I plug the cars 12v power supply in?

Edited to change receiver to transmitter

Absolutely nothing unless you get an inverter

Misread your post. 12V from the car will be fine

Is it designed as car receiver? If so it will be 12 or 24v - 24 if it is actually designed for lorries.

I think the 3 pin plug may have been added by mistake - unless of course you mean that it is a 12v power supply designed for a house. In which case, it will work in the car.

Absolutely nothing unless you get an inverter

Misread your post. 12V from the car will be fine

That's great, will try tonight.

Is it designed as car receiver? If so it will be 12 or 24v - 24 if it is actually designed for lorries.

I think the 3 pin plug may have been added by mistake - unless of course you mean that it is a 12v power supply designed for a house. In which case, it will work in the car.

sorry, meant to say transmitter not receiver. The replacement I bought is designed for the house, but I'm hoping to use it in the car.

Edit - if you are going to run a device that was designed to run off a household 12v supply, you may want to put a decent sized capacitor across the inputs to smooth out the lumps that are inevitably present in a car's power supply.

Looky here! If you have bought a 240 volt device, it may not work in a car, unless it has a power supply "brick" and the real voltage input needed is 12 volts or so DC! I don't have enough information to advise!