House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GinAndPlatonic

My Outlook Express Hacked.?

Any tech savvy people out there know if my pc is vulnerable to a hacker.?

I received an e mail this morning purportedly from Amazon saying my last transaction hasn`t gone through please click on link ...blah blah...all with bad spelling etc etc.

What alarmed me was the fact the e mail was sent from my own account and received by the same one.? (my outlook express) Has my e mail account been hacked and if so does it make my pc vulnerable or do I just make sure i do not click on suspect links or open odd attachments etc as usual.?

Thanks in advance.

Look at the headers for the email to see what the real email address they have sent it from is, what you are seeing is most likely the display name set to be your email

Look at the headers for the email to see what the real email address they have sent it from is, what you are seeing is most likely the display name set to be your email

Was going to say this. Unless there is something else going on it's most likely been set up to use an email address as the display name trying to fool you in to thinking it's something genuine.

Some email clients just use this display name, others only show the actual sender used in the email 'envelope'*

They can also change the return address so worth checking when you hit reply that it's going to where you think it is.

Although having said that I ignore all and any emails sent to me asking me to log in to anything using a password. If in doubt use the actual website by going in to your browser and entering a URL that you know is genuine.

I must get 10-15 emails a week from HSBC, Natwest, Bank of America telling me something is up with my account and to click the link to log in, I have never had an account from any of those. Therefore why would I trust anything saying it's from my actual bank.

* There are a couple of levels here, a display name which can be anything, an actual email address it's been sent on behalf of and then the actual email location. The first can be literally anything, the second will have a link to an email server as will the last. Although you need to take special notice of the domain name, a standard practice is to use a domain which looks genuine but one of the characters is slightly different so for example WWW.MICR0S0FT.com, depends on the font but that can look very similar.

Spybot has cleared this for other people. I've installed it on three people's PCs who were finding that others were receiving spam emails from their accounts without there having been a record of anything sent.

Ran Spybot two or three times and their accounts stopped sending them.

Spybot has cleared this for other people. I've installed it on three people's PCs who were finding that others were receiving spam emails from their accounts without there having been a record of anything sent.

Ran Spybot two or three times and their accounts stopped sending them.

Hotmail was hacked to do just that a couple of years ago...the problem may not always be on your equipment.

Hotmail was hacked to do just that a couple of years ago...the problem may not always be on your equipment.

I accept that but in the three instances that I was asked to help the problem was on their equipment as it was solved by Spybot; you don't know until you try.

I accept that but in the three instances that I was asked to help the problem was on their equipment as it was solved by Spybot; you don't know until you try.

absolutely, its rare for the ISP to be hacked so most likely to be spyware or spoofing.