House Price Crash Forum

Accepting Parcels For Other People. Does Anyone Else Object?

Bruce Banner

HOLA441

This is getting beyond a joke.

Almost every day the doorbell rings and a delivery driver asks me to accept a delivery for another house. Even the postman is at it.

Once in a blue moon would not be a problem, but being retired and at home a lot in the day in a road where most of the other residents are at work, I get bothered not only in the morning by the delivery drivers, but again in the evening by the recipient.

This morning's request, which I refused, In my dressing gown, was a delivery for four houses down the road.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Put a camera on your front door and vet the doorbell ring...

Has the added advantage in that you can ignore cold callers and annoying in laws..

I order a lot of stuff online so it could be for me.

Put a note on your door: 'Night worker - please do not disturb before noon'.

I'd rather not be bothered after noon either. Perhaps I'll have to put up a note saying "No deliveries for other houses accepted".

Victor Meldrew

Nothing to do with age, I would have objected when I was in my twenties, possibly more so. Although it didn't happen in those days and I was at work anyway.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

This is getting beyond a joke.

Almost every day the doorbell rings and a delivery driver asks me to accept a delivery for another house. Even the postman is at it.

Once in a blue moon would not be a problem, but being retired and at home a lot in the day in a road where most of the other residents are at work, I get bothered not only in the morning by the delivery drivers, but again in the evening by the recipient.

This morning's request, which I refused, In my dressing gown, was a delivery for four houses down the road.

Classic boomer angst. Get a job, you pension junkie, and you'll never have to deal with an unwelcome parcel again.

( ;) , just incase....)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I work from home so I'm around most days, and here it is indeed just once in a blue moon. Not a problem with me. And having a karma point or two doesn't hurt if I need a favour.

Mind you, being on a hill with more than 40 steps up from the road to the front door kind-of deters the postman knocking speculatively when trying to deliver to anyone more distant than my immediate neighbours with just one wall to cross.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Seriously though, issues with damaged parcels etc. Not really a very good idea to rely on neighbours, much better if you know you are going to be receiving parcels and you are going to be out to get a secure box for deliveries, but then you have the parcel chekcing issue again!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Is it really that much of a burden to take a parcel in if you're already in? I'd look on it as a valuable social and business contribution you're performing. You could say, "where's my payment", but instead look on the fact that you're neighbours are at least out working and paying NI and income tax (not meant as a dig, I know to get to retirement you'll have had to pay your due, just saying our contribution to society shouldn't always be viewed as a 1 dimensional level, they pay NI, you've taken a parcel in, both of which helps the country keep on moving and be a nicer place). I know I've always been very grateful for people who took my parcels in.

HOLA4418

Is it really that much of a burden to take a parcel in if you're already in? I'd look on it as a valuable social and business contribution you're performing. You could say, "where's my payment", but instead look on the fact that you're neighbours are at least out working and paying NI and income tax (not meant as a dig, I know to get to retirement you'll have had to pay your due, just saying our contribution to society shouldn't always be viewed as a 1 dimensional level, they pay NI, you've taken a parcel in, both of which helps the country keep on moving and be a nicer place). I know I've always been very grateful for people who took my parcels in.

Yes, it is a burden.

I don't like being bothered by people knocking on my door. Sod's law dictates that it's always at an inconvenient moment, when I'm in the bath, bog, or watching a film.

I certainly don't want payment and I don't want people to take delivery of my parcels either.

We often take parcels in as there is generally someone home during the day all week, it's good karma. You never know you could always miss a delivery yourself.

I would prefer to collect any delivery that I miss from the post office, or arrange for the carrier to re-deliver, rather than put anyone else to the bother.

Actually, I think the answer to my problem is to get a sign made up saying "Please do not ask us to accept delivery for other addresses, and if we are not in, please do not ask anyone else to accept delivery for us".

HOLA4419

Not got a problem with it......sooner or later they will knock asking if I have anything for them that couldn't be delivered.....one good turn deserves another.

Reminded me of the sharing society, where no money passes hands only trust.....swap tools, swap homes, swap skills. ;)

HOLA4420

I have often considered setting up a scheme where by you get local pensioners to be the recipient of your parcels. You pay a small fee for the privilege, say £1 per parcel.

You get access to your parcel without the worry of where or with whom it might end up and they get a bit of extra money for cat food or whatever.

---

Personally doesn't bother me taking in a parcel, but I'm sure it gets a little tedious if you are the only local in all day.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Happens now and then, but I don't particularly object since neighbours have taken in the odd parcel and a delivery of flowers for me.

We live in a close where random people rarely walk past the house, so I usually say 'if out leave in porch' and touch wood it's always been OK. But in a street where things are likely to be nicked I can see why they do it. Agree it must be a nuisance if happening often, though. And I would not do it again for anyone without the courtesy to say thank you.

HOLA4424

What's wrong with accepting a parcel? I do for my neighbours, and they frequently do for me! It's better than a 45 minute drive to the courier's depot!

HOLA4425

Archived