House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChumpusRex

Governments Start Pushing For Mandatory Backdoors In Electronic Security

Apple's recent announced that it has redesigned the iOS security/encryption system, to remove any backdoors, with the result that Apple would no longer be able to assist the police in searching seized iphones, etc. It appears that the US government has taken notice of this, and is in full panic mode, with several officials urging tech companies to ensure that security backdoors are left in place.

The reason given, however, is so cliched that I can barely bring myself to say it - but I suppose I must: "won't somebody think of the children".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/09/30/holder-urges-tech-companies-to-leave-device-backdoors-open-for-police/

they doth protest too much.

They complain the loopholes are closed, yet, I suspect, these are the ones they want you to know about.

Typical Government behaviour: Spend loads of money on Security for our own "Protection", then ensure that there are ways to circumvent said Security. May as well not have any security at all, but then again how could they justify extracting money from the Taxpayer if nothing is to be implemented?

Self-serving to the last...

Something with backdoors in it, is not very secure. Perhaps the Government would like to view my bathroom?