House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LandOfConfusion

Student Loans

Z for Zombie?

Crikey! I'd rather not look like "food"!

I was just thinking about fees this morning.

£27k for a degree :o

Just think about that - £27,000.00 (added zero's for dramatic effect)!

"Student Loans" is a daft idea, to get people to borrow for their own dole! :blink:

Last few years (since 2007 or 2009), US student debt has increase from $500B ish to over $1tn. They are now beginning to fret and average debt is in the order of $33K.

Normally there'd be a few students falling out of trees or hedges in the morning, after getting shitfaced the night (or a couple of days) before...

It is not all bad...think of all those salaries it has helped to pay for.......borrowed pay before it has been earned......add it to the slate. ;)

We will all look back on this an an "Era of Stupidity".

I was thinking how buying a new car is a waste of money. Then I thought how a student loan could buy a new ford focus every year for 3 years.

I think it's only worth going to university if you are a bit thick and are unlightly to have to pay the loan back. I am thinking mainly about subjects that don't help you in your career

£12bn of student loans to be sold to private firms

Ministers have begun the process for selling off part of the student loan book to private companies in a move branded ‘ugly’ by campaigners. Under the proposals, the Government plans to sell of loans issued before 2012 that are worth £12billion to the public purse in total. First to be sold will be the 2002/06 loan book, which had a face value of £4billion at the end of the 2014/15 financial year. The Government insisted that the move will not impact on former students who hold the loans, with controls put in place to ensure that terms are not changed.

Plans to privatise the vast debt pile were previously called off by then business secretary Vince Cable in 2014, after deciding that it would not reduce public sector debt by as much as originally thought.

But Sorana Vieru, vice president for higher education at the National Union of Students (NUS), said it could lead to unforeseen consequences. She said: ‘The government are pulling yet another ugly move on students. ‘Selling the loan book to investors is privatisation through the back door. Daily mail

What could possibly go wrong?

2 minutes ago, rollover said:

What could possibly go wrong?

Harumph! More financial shenanigans?:huh:

On 16/10/2014 at 3:37 AM, MrPin said:

We will all look back on this an an "Era of Stupidity".

So far 1997*-now - I predict a lot more stupid.

* perhaps time immemorial

14 hours ago, bendy said:

So far 1997*-now - I predict a lot more stupid.

* perhaps time immemorial

Not time immemorial; but since about 1990 anyway.

total-uk-debt.png