House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northerner

Man Vs. Breakfast (For £100).

Now if I was still in my prime ...

EHR_MEN290914BREAKFAST_8.jpg

Could this belly-busting 8,000 calorie fry-up be Britain’s biggest breakfast? That’s the claim of Congleton’s Bear Grills Cafe, which is offering £100 to any customer who manages to finish the monster meal.

Not one of the 20 daring diners who have risen to the challenge so far have managed to finish the feast, which consists of eight sausages, eight rashers of bacon, four hash browns, four fried eggs, a four egg cheese omelette, four waffles, four pieces of toast, four pieces of fried bread, four chunks of black pudding, two ladles of beans, two ladles of tomatoes, mushrooms and a portion of large chips - with two pints of milkshake to wash it all down.

Mark Winder, boss of the all-day breakfast cafe, said: “I reckon with these ingredients you could feed a family for a week. The breakfast alone is around 6,000 calories and the 2,000 calorie milkshake just tops it off. “We weighed all the cooked food and it came to a whopping 7lbs. That’s the weight of a baby. It’s called the Hibernator because if anyone completes it they’ll have so sleep for a year.”

Customers must sign a legal disclaimer before they attempt the Man vs Food style challenge to confirm they are over 18 and have no underlying health conditions because of the shockingly high calorie and fat content. It clocks in at four times a woman’s recommended daily intake of 2,000 calories and more than three times the guideline limit of 2,500 for a man.

Mark, 39, said: “It is all men who have tried the challenge, and they look at the ingredients up on the board and say ‘I am going to smash that.’ “But then they see it come out on the big platter all heaped high and start to cry on the phone to their friends. They give up after about twenty minutes.”

The feast is brought out on a 4ft turkey platter, because Mark could not find any plates big enough, and challengers have an hour to devour it all.

Anyone who manages to finish the £19.95 meal gets £100 as well as having their name added to a wall of fame, a breakfast named after them and the chance to add another ingredient to the challenge.

Mark said he cooked up the idea to lure in a younger clientele, but added: “It is great fun to watch and my customers in their 60s and 70s come in especially to watch. “They love it. It’s a great spectator sport.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/man-vs-breakfast-could-belly-busting-7853592

If it were veggie, and you could forgo the milkshake I'd give it a damp good try.

You reckon you could get off on a politically correct technicality and claim your 100 sheets with this tactic?

Even better say your vegan and it looks as if any fried has had beef dripping contact! Just leaves you with shrooms, beans and tomatoes on toast!

This is an extreme example of restaurant food, but the fashion of unlimited seems to have taken off in this country. Snacks may be shrinking to nothing...Mars bars have become fun size, crisps put into shrinking packets; but the restaurant meal has become unlimited.

Think Pizza Hut and Harvester unlimited buffets and the carveries.

I don't do unlimited that well, because I get greedy and any extra is free.

I note the new fish fingers advert for Bird Eye shows the family loading the oven with more fish fingers as in a rolling buffet where the kids keep helping themselves to more.

In the old days you got what you were given but now presumably Birds Eye are saying that family meals are super sized unlimited.

Wow.

I used to do my own version of that at a place on Spitalfield market.

If any of my mates could two of their breakfasts - big fry-up + chips + buttered bread - I would pay for both.

Nobody, even the big eaters, got close.

I could just about manage that meal if I had a whole day to eat it.

Since when is a milkshake a normal thing to wash down a fry up with?

Gross. And I know I am a mite fanatical about not wasting food, but I can't bear the thought of a lot of that going in the bin after the idiots who have taken up the challenge give up.

Guest eight

Since when is a milkshake a normal thing to wash down a fry up with?

Gross. And I know I am a mite fanatical about not wasting food, but I can't bear the thought of a lot of that going in the bin after the idiots who have taken up the challenge give up.

I bet the potwasher in that place is ninety clem.

Edit: Just to avoid confusion, http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Clem&defid=5777092

8 slices of bread, chips, four waffles and two pints of 2000 calorie milkshake will do for most people's chances I reckon.

Total filler overload, dirt cheap crappy stuff too. They should charge a tenner for that lot as 'Stage 1' and anyone who finishes it can elect to order 'Stage 2' with everything else for another tenner. Would probably save a lot of wasted food as few would manage it at all, nevermind with sufficient room to consider taking on the rest.

At £20 for 52 separate items, under 40p each with costs/margins included. Must be basement quality. I'd be interested to see the salt content.

8 slices of bread, chips, four waffles and two pints of 2000 calorie milkshake will do for most people's chances I reckon.

Total filler overload, dirt cheap crappy stuff too. They should charge a tenner for that lot as 'Stage 1' and anyone who finishes it can elect to order 'Stage 2' with everything else for another tenner. Would probably save a lot of wasted food as few would manage it at all, nevermind with sufficient room to consider taking on the rest.

At £20 for 52 separate items, under 40p each with costs/margins included. Must be basement quality. I'd be interested to see the salt content.

Rather judgemental.

Have you ever kept drinking way past the point of being a bit squiffy?

8 slice of bread - 50p - 8 items

tin of toms and tin of beans - 50p - 4 items

8 eggs - 70p - 8 items

20 items at 40p each - £8

Actual cost £1.70

8 rashers of bacon - £2

8 sausages - £1

4 hash browns - 50p

Further 20 items at 40p each - £8

Actual cost - £3.50

4 Waffles, chips, mushrooms, 2 milkshakes, 4 black pudding not going to exceed £4

None of it is particularly expensive stuff. The bacon at £5/kg probably the most expensive?

Mostly potato and bread. Both under £1/kg

just over 3kg of food.

8 slice of bread - 50p - 8 items

tin of toms and tin of beans - 50p - 4 items

8 eggs - 70p - 8 items

20 items at 40p each - £8

Actual cost £1.70

8 rashers of bacon - £2

8 sausages - £1

4 hash browns - 50p

Further 20 items at 40p each - £8

Actual cost - £3.50

4 Waffles, chips, mushrooms, 2 milkshakes, 4 black pudding not going to exceed £4

None of it is particularly expensive stuff. The bacon at £5/kg probably the most expensive?

Mostly potato and bread. Both under £1/kg

just over 3kg of food.

It appears your self employment will be short lived if that is the standard of your arithmetic.

It appears your self employment will be short lived if that is the standard of your arithmetic.

Or a promising career at a provincial financial institution.

This would be my rough take on cost of the thing:

8 bacon – 1.50

8 sausage – 80p

8 bread – 40p

4 hashs – 40p

8 eggs – 80p

Bit of cheese – 20p

4 waffles – 25p

Black pud – 25p

2 ladle beans – 20p

2 of tomato – 15p

Good portion of shrooms – 30p

Large chips – 20p

All in for around 5.50 at cost (I’m probably a bit out by being a few years back, it’s a while since I’ve purchased anything like this crap). Could probably knock 10-20% off for bulk buying. So around a 400% markup which sounds extortionate but he probably makes about 1 pence profit on it after taking out rent and tax overheads!

This would be my rough take on cost of the thing:

8 bacon – 1.50

8 sausage – 80p

8 bread – 40p

4 hashs – 40p

8 eggs – 80p

Bit of cheese – 20p

4 waffles – 25p

Black pud – 25p

2 ladle beans – 20p

2 of tomato – 15p

Good portion of shrooms – 30p

Large chips – 20p

All in for around 5.50 at cost (I’m probably a bit out by being a few years back, it’s a while since I’ve purchased anything like this crap). Could probably knock 10-20% off for bulk buying. So around a 400% markup which sounds extortionate but he probably makes about 1 pence profit on it after taking out rent and tax overheads!

I dont think your pricing actually qualifies as food.

I dont think your pricing actually qualifies as food.

Indeed - I'm thinking along the lines of Costco bulk though, or the kind of crap you'd get in Iceland!