House Price Crash Forum

Next Chain Must Have Stopped Stocking T-Shirts And Shorts

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

It amuses me the way warm / cold / unseasonal weather is blamed by companies for profit falls. Ice cream, maybe, and other consumables but clothes?

The idea that that hundreds of thousands of people trot off to buy a new coat every year when the first autumn leaves hit the ground is ludicrous.

Edited by deflation

HOLA444

It amuses me the way warm / cold / unseasonal weather is blamed by companies for profit falls. Ice cream, maybe, and other consumables but clothes?

The idea that that hundreds of thousands of people trot off to buy a new coat every year when the first autumn leaves hit the ground is ludicrous.

Clearly many in the retail sector this is the case.

HOLA445

What would be the alternative for a fashionable lass? Wearing something you were seen in last winter?

This year's crop ...

STATEMENT-COAT.jpg

The Statement Coat

Whether it’s a major fluff-ball, a bold mac or a fabulous in-between hybrid, a super coat is the one key piece you really need to invest in this season.

Key AW14 trend piece: There are tons to choose from – will you snuggle up in one of Phillip Lim’s powder puff patchwork numbers, or Roksanda Illincic’s Mongolian monsters? Rodarte’s glitter bomber or Burberry’s water-colour dream coat? You decide.

Read more at http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/blogs/547170/autumn-winter-2014-fashion-trends-the-marie-claire-catwalk-edit.html#Up2t6vQJDBLB4Kf1.99

HOLA446

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29422263

"

Next warns of lower sales growth due to warm weather"

The recovery that never was.

Why is it always the weathers fault?.....could it be people have other more pressing things to buy with their money, rent and debts to pay, could it be people are looking for alternatives, such as charity shops and on-line bidding sites, could it be people are make doing and mending, could it be peoples wardrobes and drawers are already overflowing with fabrics and cloth already? ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA447
HOLA448

Have Next stopped buying back their shares yet?

Most of the clothing retailers seem to be in a panic af the moment - loads of flash sales online. I think they are seeing a huge slowdown in purchases and will have a panic run-in to Christmas.

The big retailers and energy companies keep telling me they are dropping prices...which is odd as they seem to cost more every year,

HOLA449

I am looking for a few new shirts, I went into next a couple of months back and their stock reminded me of the tat that I associate with Pakistani gentleman running market stalls. Matalan is no better, so I am still shirtless.

Hard to believe that none of the mainstream shops wast to flog be a few decent shirts for £20 each!

I noted that the cheap rubish they have in Asda is of the same quality of next.

HOLA4410

What would be the alternative for a fashionable lass? Wearing something you were seen in last winter?

This year's crop ...

STATEMENT-COAT.jpg

The Statement Coat

Whether it’s a major fluff-ball, a bold mac or a fabulous in-between hybrid, a super coat is the one key piece you really need to invest in this season.

Key AW14 trend piece: There are tons to choose from – will you snuggle up in one of Phillip Lim’s powder puff patchwork numbers, or Roksanda Illincic’s Mongolian monsters? Rodarte’s glitter bomber or Burberry’s water-colour dream coat? You decide.

Read more at http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/blogs/547170/autumn-winter-2014-fashion-trends-the-marie-claire-catwalk-edit.html#Up2t6vQJDBLB4Kf1.99

The middle one looks like it's made out of tinfoil and the other two from old bits of clothing found in a bin. So it's probably quite prescient about what most British people will soon be wearing!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

or in the future - the chinese websites selling direct. everbuying.com / newfrog.com . They all sell items for 70% less than UK prices just takes 10-15 days for delivery. Once these guys work out their supply chain and bring a bit of supply to the UK there will be a 35-40% discount on high street prices and next day delivery.

HOLA4413

I am looking for a few new shirts, I went into next a couple of months back and their stock reminded me of the tat that I associate with Pakistani gentleman running market stalls. Matalan is no better, so I am still shirtless.

Hard to believe that none of the mainstream shops wast to flog be a few decent shirts for £20 each!

I noted that the cheap rubish they have in Asda is of the same quality of next.

There was a hotukdeal a few days ago with some posh London shirt maker selling £80 shirts for a tenner each. Check hotukdeals for 'shirts' in the past week.

HOLA4414

or in the future - the chinese websites selling direct. everbuying.com / newfrog.com . They all sell items for 70% less than UK prices just takes 10-15 days for delivery. Once these guys work out their supply chain and bring a bit of supply to the UK there will be a 35-40% discount on high street prices and next day delivery.

Not seen those sites before only dx.com and I agree it's only a matter of time before the middlemen or UK retailers as you could call them get properly squeezed! Some clients I work with are already seeing the Chinese move onto Amazon.co.uk and selling direct from Amazon's warehouses (FBA) however I wouldn't like to bet they aren't paying the correct duty / tax when sending their stuff by the pallet load to Amazon's warehouses...

HOLA4415

The middle one looks like it's made out of tinfoil and the other two from old bits of clothing found in a bin. So it's probably quite prescient about what most British people will soon be wearing!

It's good to be different.....home made is a one off, no chain store clone. ;)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Have Next stopped buying back their shares yet?

Most of the clothing retailers seem to be in a panic af the moment - loads of flash sales online. I think they are seeing a huge slowdown in purchases and will have a panic run-in to Christmas.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=NXT.L#symbol=NXT.L;range=5y

There's a chunk of downside to aim at.One of the most overvalued shares in the FTSE in my humble.

Symbolises the recovery really,lots of over borrowed borrowing to overpay for clothing.

HOLA4418

Not seen those sites before only dx.com and I agree it's only a matter of time before the middlemen or UK retailers as you could call them get properly squeezed! Some clients I work with are already seeing the Chinese move onto Amazon.co.uk and selling direct from Amazon's warehouses (FBA) however I wouldn't like to bet they aren't paying the correct duty / tax when sending their stuff by the pallet load to Amazon's warehouses...

There is away I think in which British clothing retail could be dragged out of the 1970s.

One would be to employ trained fitters to measure men and women for made to measure clothing, not just suits but all kinds of things like shirts, coats, jeans etc. The measurements would then be emailed to China where premade patterns would be adjusted and assembled then couriered out for collection in the branch. This is already done by a number of far eastern tailors as well as some British firms, but the problem is that delivery is slow and erratic, and they either rely on customers sending their own measurements or they have tailors who visit the UK only at certain times and places. This could even be done by 3D scanners. However I suspect the British retailers don't want to go down this road, as retail is more now about shifting tat off the shelves as quickly as possible instead of providing quality products that fit.

Edited by Austin Allegro

HOLA4419

Such is the oddity of British retail selling.

Visit most of the major retailers in mid February and you will struggle to buy a winter hat/coat/scarf as they have sold out – but they have brought out their summer range if you want to buy a bikini or a pair of shorts despite it being minus 5 outside.

Of course they ignore the post Xmas gym joining rush in January – so no shorts etc to be found.

Come mid August they flog off all their summer gear – and by the end of the month the winter coats and outfits abound.

They then wonder why they don’t sell anything in September when its 70 degrees outside – and retain all those heavy winter coats unsold until early November.

Why not have an all year round selection - to cope with people's actual needs?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=NXT.L#symbol=NXT.L;range=5y

There's a chunk of downside to aim at.One of the most overvalued shares in the FTSE in my humble.

I still wish I'd brought the 500 needed to qualify for a 25% discount once a year back in 1992 or thereabouts when they were 12.5p each.

HOLA4422

The trickle down isn't quite working. Are Lidl and Aldi selling clothes too?!

Yeah. Got my daughter a wazzle quality winter coat in Lidl for £7.99. Same in Next would have been about £35.

HOLA4423

Such is the oddity of British retail selling.

Visit most of the major retailers in mid February and you will struggle to buy a winter hat/coat/scarf as they have sold out – but they have brought out their summer range if you want to buy a bikini or a pair of shorts despite it being minus 5 outside.

Of course they ignore the post Xmas gym joining rush in January – so no shorts etc to be found.

Come mid August they flog off all their summer gear – and by the end of the month the winter coats and outfits abound.

They then wonder why they don’t sell anything in September when its 70 degrees outside – and retain all those heavy winter coats unsold until early November.

Why not have an all year round selection - to cope with people's actual needs?

Because of floor space.

In July I previewed and ordered for SS15. Some brand's SS lines arrive as early as December. Not far into January and whilst SS is still arriving I'll start forward ordering for AW15.

The reason Next will be having this issue is because they're AW lines are already coming into stores but the weather is still too good for anyone to be interested in buying as you've said.

Companies such as Next would have forecast and booked their orders with the manufacturers and organised the deliveries months ago.

HOLA4424

Most people I know spend at least two thousand pounds on clothes each year, don't you know. I spend at least five thousand, because coats only last one season. Once the expired clothing is past fit for purpose, I ensure the worthy charity shop passes them onto the "less fortunate". I check the latest trends, and ensure my outfits match, and that they are colour co-ordinated. One must not be seen wearing grey this autumn as it is completely out of fashion. The latest trend this season is aubergine, and I am glad to say I am the first to wear such an exemplary outfit amongst my inner circle. Aubergine, remember that! I'll be seeing YOU around the town!

HOLA4425

Yeah. Got my daughter a wazzle quality winter coat in Lidl for £7.99. Same in Next would have been about £35.

I am most pleased with my £9.99 waterproof jacket from Lidl. Ok it's not quite as breathable as my 15 year old Goretex jacket ( £130) but since it'd set me back the best part of £200 for another Goretex I'll make do with the Lidl one for now.