House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

Australian Freshly Baked Bread, Actually Made In Ireland

WTF!!!!

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/sep/29/coles-banned-for-three-years-from-advertising-freshly-baked-bread

The case was brought by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission after a former Victorian premier, Jeff Kennett, complained when he discovered a loaf of Coles bread that was advertised as freshly baked in-store had been made in Ireland.

https://www.facebook.com/BuyAustralianMade.com.au/posts/410879912297372

Local bread is made at home....you can't beat it, once you eat it you will never buy a plastic loaf ever again. ;)

Bought bread does not have to be plastic!

I know homemade is nice - I used to make ours - but we don't eat enough now to make it worthwhile. Wouldn't want to be feeding half of it to the birds on a regular basis.

Bought bread does not have to be plastic!

I know homemade is nice - I used to make ours - but we don't eat enough now to make it worthwhile. Wouldn't want to be feeding half of it to the birds on a regular basis.

Of course bread bought in certain places does not have to be plastic.....but you are talking £2 to £3 for a small loaf.

You don't have to eat a lot of bread to make your own, fill the oven up with smaller loaves or rolls and freeze the rest...bread freezes exceptionally well, remove it from the freezer the night before or even in the morning if you want toast....if you must and if time is of the essence could defrost in the micro......bread is made from flour and water 2.5 kg bread flour is 80p add a few seeds, olives, nuts, toms for a few pennies more.....a real loaf works out including fuel costing less than a plastic loaf for over £1.....good for your health also, let off steam, good exercise and helps prevent arthritis in the hands...all you have to add is the time and expertise... practice makes perfect :)

When I'm feeling flush, I'l buy a loaf of bread from an artisan bakery. It is expensive, between 3 and £4 for a good loaf, but it's something the two of us can enjoy eating over 2-3 days. A good pint now costs over £4 here in London and is gone within half an hour, so I don't see the bread as being expensive in that light.

When I'm feeling flush, I'l buy a loaf of bread from an artisan bakery. It is expensive, between 3 and £4 for a good loaf, but it's something the two of us can enjoy eating over 2-3 days. A good pint now costs over £4 here in London and is gone within half an hour, so I don't see the bread as being expensive in that light.

£4 is bread Inflation as we speak....make your own dough and save a fortune... ;)

When we were in Austria, one of the types of bread that seemed readily available at the hotel was a fairly hearty brown loaf with nuts in. I didn't inspect it too closely, but it tasted like they were chiefly (and maybe exclusively) walnuts.

Has anyone seen anything along these lines available in any British supermarket?

(And I don't want the answer to the following question to be 'make it yourself'. ;))

£4 is bread Inflation as we speak....make your own dough and save a fortune... ;)

Not convinced - seems to me you can spend 2 hours in making your own bread perhaps more. Plus cost of the oven etc. In order to save on £3.60 ?? And then you may still end up with duff bread. Don't get me wrong, if you like doing this, that's great, but it's not really saving money.

Not convinced - seems to me you can spend 2 hours in making your own bread perhaps more. Plus cost of the oven etc. In order to save on £3.60 ?? And then you may still end up with duff bread. Don't get me wrong, if you like doing this, that's great, but it's not really saving money.

No the time it takes hands on is 15 mins at most......the rest is waiting time and cooking time.....other things can be done in that time while your bread is proving....could be making your beer or wine, just an idea.......saving £4 a pop. ;)

Of course bread bought in certain places does not have to be plastic.....but you are talking £2 to £3 for a small loaf.

You don't have to eat a lot of bread to make your own, fill the oven up with smaller loaves or rolls and freeze the rest...bread freezes exceptionally well, remove it from the freezer the night before or even in the morning if you want toast....if you must and if time is of the essence could defrost in the micro......bread is made from flour and water 2.5 kg bread flour is 80p add a few seeds, olives, nuts, toms for a few pennies more.....a real loaf works out including fuel costing less than a plastic loaf for over £1.....good for your health also, let off steam, good exercise and helps prevent arthritis in the hands...all you have to add is the time and expertise... practice makes perfect :)

I entirely agree - no factory bread in this house. No bread machine either. Just a couple of evenings a week spent baking. Beats being sat in front of the TV.

BTW - where do you get flour for 80p for 2.5kg? Is that a typo? I pay 75p for 1.5kg at Aldi and thought that was quite a good deal. I'd buy in bulk but can't find it cheaper anywhere.

I entirely agree - no factory bread in this house. No bread machine either. Just a couple of evenings a week spent baking. Beats being sat in front of the TV.

BTW - where do you get flour for 80p for 2.5kg? Is that a typo? I pay 75p for 1.5kg at Aldi and thought that was quite a good deal. I'd buy in bulk but can't find it cheaper anywhere.

Sorry yes, 1.5 kg....I said 80p, 75p is a good buy...not that long ago was 50p so flour has risen, excuse the pun more than other fundamental food basics.....I do keep an eye out for strong flour prices and buy in bulk when there is a good deal, that is wholemeal and rye which I also use a lot....our local village store sells Wessex Mill Malt Loaf bread flour, you can't buy it in any supermarket, it gives bread a lovely flavour, you don't kneed much of it but I highly recommend it. ;)

No the time it takes hands on is 15 mins at most......the rest is waiting time and cooking time.....other things can be done in that time while your bread is proving....could be making your beer or wine, just an idea.......saving £4 a pop. ;)

save more and drop the poisonous bread from your diet altogether.

this also cures all fungal infections in days (maybe)

save more and drop the poisonous bread from your diet altogether.

this also cures all fungal infections in days (maybe)

Everything in moderation. :)

Everything in moderation. :)

the trouble with home cooked bread is that you cant do it in moderation. it entices you with its flavour, its aroma, and nothing is as good as a nice warm slice, slick with butter and jam..

then it clogs your arteries and fills your body with carbs.

the trouble with home cooked bread is that you cant do it in moderation. it entices you with its flavour, its aroma, and nothing is as good as a nice warm slice, slick with butter and jam..

then it clogs your arteries and fills your body with carbs.

+1. Bread is junk food. It's one of those foods that people eat on a regular basis, but many have some sort of aversion to for one reason or another. I know several people (including myself) who feel a lot better after removing or at least significantly reducing the amount of bread they eat.

Best avoided or at the very least minimise intake.