House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
campervanman

85% Of Uk Manafacturing Say "stay In Eu"

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29404745

"Despite the continued problems in the eurozone, manufacturers remain overwhelmingly of the view that our economic wellbeing is inextricably linked to the EU and, we must stay in membership.

"It makes no sense to disengage from our major market and it remains fanciful to think we can just pull up the drawbridge and walk away with no consequences."

2015-2017 could be very interesting for the UK economy given the jitters in the market when it looked as though the Scots would go their own way.

By definition, companies that still exist today, are the ones that suit the EU.

If you want the true picture, you need to ask all the British companies that were destroyed by the EU over the last 5 decades.

85% of UK manufacturing co's is a very very small number of people, thanks to the EU.

85% of hardly anything.

Edited by SleepyHead

Large scale cross border manufacturers want to main cross border open market with uniform rules and ability to employ cheap staff whenever they like shock.

Bet nearly all of those 160 large companies polled have some, or a large part or most of their actual manufacturing done in China.

Odd that Chinese manufacturers also loves selling to the EU.

And they arent in it, or near it.

Maybe our manufacturers are missing a trick.

Norway and Switzerland have higher levels of immigration than the UK so I do not see how the cheap labour argument stacks up.

Bet both those countries have near zero undocumented immigration.

The UK should leave the EU, because we would then be unimpeded by safe working conditions, minimum wage, and human rights regulations so could compete with manufacturers in China and India.

Our magnificent banking and financial services industry could also show the rest of the world how to do things correctly and create a well balanced economy - for a large fee of course.

The UK should leave the EU, because we would then be unimpeded by safe working conditions, minimum wage, and human rights regulations so could compete with manufacturers in China and India.

The big companies are the ones in the best position to take advantage of cheap foregin labour and unregulated markets.

It is the small business sector that gets hammered. The swathes of CE based regulations, which cost say £20k for thte big manufacturer to adhere to (min) and the small co. £10K for example are much more likelt to put the small company out of business, make a market sector uncompetitive or present a barrier to even starting off in a sector / activity. Meanwhile elsewhere they can and do just put a ce sticker on it.

CE markign alone has probably destroyed millions of jobs across the EU, preferentially benefitted large EU companies by forcing out smaller competitiots and done almost no good overall in increassing product quality. The amount of dangerous junk that gets imported from China has ballooned, the smaller and cheap end suppliers in europe have folded, when there was nothign wrong with their product output thatn need CE marking nor administration by another layer of authority..

Norway and Switzerland have higher levels of immigration than the UK so I do not see how the cheap labour argument stacks up.

Ive just been on a yard stay job ni Norway and half the people there were cheaper to pay Polish, a No

"Despite the continued problems in the eurozone, manufacturers remain overwhelmingly of the view that our economic wellbeing is inextricably linked to the EU and, we must stay in membership.

"It makes no sense to disengage from our major market and it remains fanciful to think we can just pull up the drawbridge and walk away with no consequences."

2015-2017 could be very interesting for the UK economy given the jitters in the market when it looked as though the Scots would go their own way.

SO if such high numbers of people think we should stay in the EU then why are your ilk so scared to have a referendum?

Britain was far better off as a nation prior to the EU becoming the superstate it is now.

Well I remember Britain before it joined the EU. The country worked a 3 day week. I do not think it is fear of a referendum that people like me have, it is fear of what the UK economy would look like in the 2 years run up to a referendum although that would be a minor problem compared with what it would look like if the vote went the wrong way. The problem is for those who say what have we got to lose by leaving/voting UKIP is that you will not discover what you have lost until you have lost it and there will be no way back.

Edited by campervanman

Well I remember Britain before it joined the EU. The country worked a 3 day week.

I remember that too,..just after King Harold got an arrow in the eye...He should never have resisted the EU.

Not surprising really, manufacturing companies live in the real world.

Big companies like Nissan and Toyota came here because we were in the then EEC, many smaller Tier 1, 2 and 3 suppliers will depend on those companies (in some cases it's 100% dependence). Anything that creates uncertainty will hurt manufacturers, from a weak pound driving up the cost of imports of raw materials to EU based companies deciding that buy from the UK isn't worth the risk (despite potentially low prices).

They might not be happy with the EU (and to paraphrase the saying) it's better to be in the EU and be pi$$ed-off than to be outside and be pi$$ed on.

Have any opinion polls ever looked at how support for the EU varies between those working (in different sectors) and those on benefits (including state pension)?

The scottish were hammered with the same propaganda.

If anyone thinks there is any such thing as a free vote in the UK they are sadly mistaken IMHO.

They were also hammered by the "land of milk and honey" propaganda by those supporting the Yes vote.

Well at least you didn't call it bullying or scaremongering :rolleyes:

Well I remember Britain before it joined the EU. The country worked a 3 day week. I do not think it is fear of a referendum that people like me have, it is fear of what the UK economy would look like in the 2 years run up to a referendum although that would be a minor problem compared with what it would look like if the vote went the wrong way. The problem is for those who say what have we got to lose by leaving/voting UKIP is that you will not discover what you have lost until you have lost it and there will be no way back.

I too remember what the UK was like before joining up. There were regular shortages in shops - one month it would be sugar, the next toilet paper. Choice of foodstuffs was quite restricted, and all pubs and restaurants closed in the afternoon by law. Many people still had outside loos and central heating was not that common...

The point is though, the advances may well have taken place whether we joined or not. Once North Sea gas and oil turned up, we soon had central heating everywhere. And I suspect that cheap holidays in the sun would have taken place regardless...

Pulling out of the EU may well produce the long awaited hpc (and to be fair, so would have joining the Euro). But the crash may destroy the rest of the economy too. It's illogical to state "oh we can just trade with other English-speaking countries" as they too import from lower cost countries like China.

I still find it interesting that just a couple of weeks ago UKIP and Euro-sceptics were warning Scotland about the dangers of leaving a bigger political union!

The big companies are the ones in the best position to take advantage of cheap foregin labour and unregulated markets.

It is the small business sector that gets hammered. The swathes of CE based regulations, which cost say £20k for thte big manufacturer to adhere to (min) and the small co. £10K for example are much more likelt to put the small company out of business, make a market sector uncompetitive or present a barrier to even starting off in a sector / activity. Meanwhile elsewhere they can and do just put a ce sticker on it.

CE markign alone has probably destroyed millions of jobs across the EU, preferentially benefitted large EU companies by forcing out smaller competitiots and done almost no good overall in increassing product quality. The amount of dangerous junk that gets imported from China has ballooned, the smaller and cheap end suppliers in europe have folded, when there was nothign wrong with their product output thatn need CE marking nor administration by another layer of authority..

Totally wrong wrt CE marking. A CE mark can be applied by any manufacturer. It is a self-declaration that the product meets the requirements of the European harmonised standard appropriate for the product. If the products compliance is called into question however, the company must be prepared to show that it had good reason to apply the CE mark.

A company is free to perform it's own testing, if it is confident that it's test process is robust.

They were also hammered by the "land of milk and honey" propaganda by those supporting the Yes vote.

Well at least you didn't call it bullying or scaremongering :rolleyes:

I promise you, if Cameron ever delivers a referendum, you will come to understand what the full force of the MSM propaganda machine can do.

Never fear Pro EU people! There is no way that we'd vote to leave, the propaganda campaign that we would be subjected to in the lead up to any vote would be along the lines of:

"If you vote to leave; life as we know it will stop instantaneously and every molecule in your body will explode at the speed of light!"

Anyone voting to leave will be portrayed as an immature and reckless fool...

I guess we'd get a spike in GDP as the media would go on overdrive on the issue!

99.9% of British expats living abroad in the EU want to stay in the EU.

Funny that.

No, no, no, it's British Immigrants! Ex-pat is just the politically correct term for immigrant :D

I suspect a fair few would actually support the UK leaving the EU and would be horrified to find out the consequences. Heck they would probably claim they were mis-sold the idea of independence

I promise you, if Cameron ever delivers a referendum, you will come to understand what the full force of the MSM propaganda machine can do.

I would be very interested to see what the Daily Mail, Daily Express, The Sun etc do! Their natural inclination is anti-EU, however they don't want to be seen to be on the side that lost. So would they provide anti-EU misinformation or pro-EU scaremongering? Whatever they do I agree that we will see their full force!

The EU referendum is a trap

- if we vote to stay in the EU then the pro-integrationists will treat it as an OK for further integration

- if we vote to go out then our economy is going to suffer as less people will want to trade with us over time

I'm broadly in favour of an EU that's a free trade area with free movement of goods and people, but without all the political United States of EU that comes with it, and don't like the likely outcomes of either a yes or no vote

99.9% of British expats living abroad in the EU want to stay in the EU.

Funny that.

Youre lying, and what an utter idiotic comment.

Do you also think 99.9% of Europeans want to stay in the EU or is that 78.94%

No, no, no, it's British Immigrants! Ex-pat is just the politically correct term for immigrant :D

Clearly someone who doesnt know what the word expatriate means, yet tries to be clever at the same time ... Look it up.
Edited by Corruption

Does anyone know what stuff the UK wants to renegotiate? If you asked the average UK voter what they wanted then how many of them would be able to give a list things related to EU membership that affect them personally?

The EU referendum is a trap

- if we vote to stay in the EU then the pro-integrationists will treat it as an OK for further integration

- if we vote to go out then our economy is going to suffer as less people will want to trade with us over time

I'm broadly in favour of an EU that's a free trade area with free movement of goods and people, but without all the political United States of EU that comes with it, and don't like the likely outcomes of either a yes or no vote

Well said!

The referendum (like the one in Scotland) might only succeed in letting the genie out of bottle.

Clearly someone who doesnt know what the word expatriate means, yet tries to be clever at the same time ... Look it up.

It was a joke hence the smiley :rolleyes: as was the message I was replying to (I assume).

I've looked it up and here's the OED definition:

noun

a person who lives outside their native country: American expatriates in London.

adjective

denoting or relating to a person living outside their native country: expatriate workers.

verb

send (a person or money) abroad: we expatriated the prisoners of war immediately after the end of the war | people that have illegally expatriated funds | money found to have been expatriated to Singapore banks | the poet was then expatriated from France | [no obj.] : candidates should be willing to expatriate.

Here's the OED definition for immigrant as well:

noun

a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country: they found it difficult to expel illegal immigrants | [as modifier] : immigrant workers | an immigrant village.

So in conclusion a lot of British ex-pats are indeed immigrants and a lot of Polish etc. immigrants are indeed ex-pats (and vice versa).

I hope you use the terms correctly now, seeing as they are so important :rolleyes:

Our magnificent banking and financial services industry could also show the rest of the world how to do things correctly and create a well balanced economy - for a large fee of course.

Having seen manufacturing conditions in China and India first hand (albeit a while ago now), I hope not.

Yes they can make things cheaply because they treat people like human battery hens, employ kids, and ignore safety etc.

It's all very Victorian, and even if we did bring such exploitation back in this country under a "this is what we need to do to compete" banner, I'd give it 2 years tops before people were up in arms about it.

Probably best for globalised consumerism that manufacturing is hidden overseas these days so that folk can't see how atrocious the lives of most of the people who make the stuff they (often needlessly) consume really are.

Sure those running the world know that as well, so can't see much ever changing.

Edited by byron78