House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

The Madness Of Ed's Mansion Tax: Experts Predict Property 'carnage'...and Warn Values Could Fall By A Third...

The madness of Ed's mansion tax: Experts predict property 'carnage'...and warn values could fall by a third as it's revealed millionaire stars including Johnny Wilkinson and Pete Waterman will NOT have to pay out!

(Volcanoes will erupt, beasts of all forms will appear to terrorize all home owners of £2 million pound homes, tidal waves will flood the world, x factor will be cancelled..)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2772158/The-madness-Ed-s-mansion-tax-Experts-predict-property-carnage-warn-values-fall-third.html

This looks promising and should help cool the market, not sure why you would limit it to houses over 2mil though, you could quite happily roll it out across the entire housing stock.

Would also potentially make ownership vs renting debate less one sided, and encourage people to 'store' their wealth in other (hopefully more productive) places.

Why do the Daily Mail think it would be 'devastating' if I could buy a home thats 30% bigger?!

Look, "property experts" said it would be "carnage" so quit all that thinking and asking insightful questions nonsense and get with the fear program, okay? At this point fear of change is pretty much the only population control button the Establishment have left to press and they'll be jolly cross if it stops working.

Look, "property experts" said it would be "carnage" so quit all that thinking and asking insightful questions nonsense and get with the fear program, okay? At this point fear of change is pretty much the only population control button the Establishment have left to press and they'll be jolly cross if it stops working.

Do property experts have to take an exam these days? or can anyone that has brought property become an expert?

Do property experts have to take an exam these days? or can anyone that has brought property become an expert?

"Property expert" is usually a newspaper euphemism for "estate agent". Even tabloid journalists are aware that the public don't take estate agents seriously.

The Establishment:

1. Keep Scotland/Great Britain intact. Tick

2. Keep Britain in Europe by fair means or foul Tick

3. Globalised trade, unfettered capital flows and removal of restrictions on workers Tick

4. Keep house prices high for ever and ensure the hoi polloi are indebted into servitude via education and housing Tick

You lose. All your base are belong to us.

Depressingly accurate. :(

The Establishment:

1. Keep Scotland/Great Britain intact. Tick

2. Keep Britain in Europe by fair means or foul Tick

3. Globalised trade, unfettered capital flows and removal of restrictions on workers Tick

4. Keep house prices high for ever and ensure the hoi polloi are indebted into servitude via education and housing Tick

You lose. All your base are belong to us.

We still have elections and the internet though, so there is a way back. Unfortunately it requires the general public to engage their brains and start thinking about things a bit so it won't be easy.

We still have elections and the internet though, so there is a way back. Unfortunately it requires the general public to engage their brains and start thinking about things a bit so it won't be easy.

Very rare for things to get sorted first time round as well.

I predict a UKIP and Tory coalition come 2015, with people only then realising that the vast majority of UKIPs policies are more swivel-eyed and nonsensical than Iain Duncan-Smith.

Labour will then probably lurch further right again (after promises of social housing and renatonalisation of various privatised mishaps fails to get them re-elected).

Status quo preserved until it gets really REALLY nasty and we have a fresh batch of riots and violence.

The UK version of people thinking about things is to support UKIP. That is the same version of thinking about things as people thinking that hpi = a sustainable substitute for real wealth. Thinking about things means a bit more than looking for simplistic badly thought out solutions to long term problems.

Ah, I'm expected to find more tears for the asset rich, cash poor multi-millionaires again?

Help me Mr Taxman - I have no money, just this worthless flower pot full of diamonds, I need my benefits...

The UK version of people thinking about things is to support UKIP. That is the same version of thinking about things as people thinking that hpi = a sustainable substitute for real wealth. Thinking about things means a bit more than looking for simplistic badly thought out solutions to long term problems.

Maybe so, but even as somebody who disagrees with almost everything Farage says I still think voters going over to UKIP is a step up from them voting red, blue or yellow. It takes a bit of imagination and independence of thought to walk away from mainstream choices.

Maybe so, but even as somebody who disagrees with almost everything Farage says I still think voters going over to UKIP is a step up from them voting red, blue or yellow. It takes a bit of imagination and independence of thought to walk away from mainstream choices.

Really? I can't think of anything more mainstream than a party wanting to recreate a middle england that never actually existed.

Really? I can't think of anything more mainstream than a party wanting to recreate a middle england that never actually existed.

True

Yes its the last gasp hope that we can exist in the globalised economy wthout actually doing anything different.

Have UKIP actually said anything about making the economy more productive .?

I predict a UKIP and Tory coalition come 2015, with people only then realising that the vast majority of UKIPs policies are more swivel-eyed and nonsensical than Iain Duncan-Smith.

Almost no chance of that. It'll be a Labour landslide. In fact I predict that the number of 3rd party MPs will be lower than they have been in years.

The sort of points made in the Mail sounded convincing during Thatcher's time and UK people gave it a chance.

It was given a chance and look at the UK's economy now - worse than ever.

It's not convincing anymore.

Edited by billybong

A mansion tax may appeal to many on this forum and not many people will feel sorry for people living in houses worth over two million. However whilst it may cause falls in the values of these expensive houses, it will not raise as much as politicians will want. Like all taxes, it will be extended to cover almost all properties. If it happens you will not just be paying council tax a mortgage or rent, but a house tax too.

We don't need more taxes, we need lower government spending, a step change in planning approvals and a big reduction in immigration.

It was given a chance and look at the UK's economy now - worse than ever.

The uk economy is worse than ever? Really?

The uk economy is worse than ever? Really?

Depends which side of the divide you're on, but for the average worker its worse now then at anytime in the last 40 years.

My mates kids are 16 and have just left school they know there is no chance of them buying a house at least when i left school 23 years ago in the middle of a recession you thought (at the time) with a bit of hard work you could make an decent living on a building site or somewhere similar to better yourself. Nowadays its clear working is a mugs game that gets you nowhere.

Edited by Corruption

I refer you to my sig thats been there for about a year now.

Hold your nose, bite your lip, close your eyes and vote Labour.

You're mad.

The party of unfettered immigration, the HPI miracle and incontinent spending are going to deliver lower house prices.

I have some magic beans you might be interested in.