House Price Crash Forum

Ann Barnes Kent Pcc

geezer466

HOLA441

Is being nicked by her own force for driving uninsured......

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/crime-commissioner-facing-probe-over-24201/

Ann Barnes is reported to be facing a probe about driving with no insurance after being involved in a car crash in Dartford.

According to The Mail on Sunday, Kent's Police and Crime Commissioner is under investigation by her own force after the collision in September.

Her soft top Mercedes collided with another car and then ploughed into a tree on her way to a meeting.

All together now...... :P:P:P:P:P

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Does anyone think it's a resigning issue?

Yep. If you cause an accident that puts somebody else in a wheelchair that person could need £1m worth of income support, medical treatment and personal care throughout the remainder of their life. (A fairly young relative of mine was the victim in exactly this scenario.) Where is the money to pay for that supposed to come from if somebody is driving without insurance? Should the victim just accept that they are now going to be disabled and in grinding poverty for 5 decades because somebody else couldn't be bothered to log on to a price comparison website?

The penalty for driving without insurance should be prison time. The consequences for others can be severe.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Classic. It shows yet again that laws are there to keep the productive in line. Gypsies pay no tax and are therefore of little concern.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I thought it was an 'absolute' offence?

That was my impression. I very nearly came a cropper to this, when an insurer cancelled my policy without telling me; but I found out incidentally before anything happened.

However, while I was looking into making a complaint about this, and making enquiries on various forums, I was contacted by someone who had bought insurance, but the insurer had cancelled the policy and written to the wrong address. There were caught driving by an ANPR camera and prosecuted. They pleaded not guilty on the basis that they thought they had valid insurance and the insurer had not followed the cancellation procedure in the T&C. They were convicted anyway, the judge said that failure to follow procedure by the insurer was irrelevant to offence, and it was a separate civil matter.

I've also come across a couple of cases where an insurer has written a cancellation letter by recorded delivery, but the letter was returned undelivered. In those cases, the ruling was that the fact that the letter was returned was irrelevant. It was the insured's responsibility to have read and acted upon the letter.

HOLA4411

That was my impression. I very nearly came a cropper to this, when an insurer cancelled my policy without telling me; but I found out incidentally before anything happened.

However, while I was looking into making a complaint about this, and making enquiries on various forums, I was contacted by someone who had bought insurance, but the insurer had cancelled the policy and written to the wrong address. There were caught driving by an ANPR camera and prosecuted. They pleaded not guilty on the basis that they thought they had valid insurance and the insurer had not followed the cancellation procedure in the T&C. They were convicted anyway, the judge said that failure to follow procedure by the insurer was irrelevant to offence, and it was a separate civil matter.

I've also come across a couple of cases where an insurer has written a cancellation letter by recorded delivery, but the letter was returned undelivered. In those cases, the ruling was that the fact that the letter was returned was irrelevant. It was the insured's responsibility to have read and acted upon the letter.

A letter posted is deemed received in law.

A fax is deemed received when it us received oddly.

Not sure what the position is with an email.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Even if it is sent to the wrong address?

not sure...All I know that in the cases I have been involved in, all that was needed was a proof of posting...usually a book kept in the post room recording the letter posted, the date and time.

Archived