House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baxter Basics MP

" Reach Out ", " Reaching Out " & " Reached Out "

Anyone come across these terms being used more and more in the UK:

"I'm reaching out to you..." instead of "I'm emailing you..."

"please could you reach out to bob" instead of "please could you call bob"

"I've reached out to Fred and he said I'm a ****" instead of "I spoke to Fred on the phone he said I'm a ****"

Was glad to see the back of "touch base" and "inbox me" but now "reach out" seems to be the new kid on the block when it comes to management psychobabble.

So yeah, just reaching out to you guys to see if you've come across this before...or you could just inbox me.

:D

I get it all of the time when I am in States, and now as you have pointed out it is becoming more prevalent over here. Makes me want to burst into song :lol:

I'd like to take the opportunity to reach out to the Forum in general here.

We all need to touch base, reach out to each other.

I'll be there.......................

I refuse to overlook these nonsense phrases. Was in a meeting today with some Yanks who said "... who does it depends on who can most advantageously leverage their baseline". So I said "I don't have a clue what you just said - must be the cultural divide". After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing we agreed that they meant " the task would be done by whichever organisation had someone available to do it."

I refuse to overlook these nonsense phrases. Was in a meeting today with some Yanks who said "... who does it depends on who can most advantageously leverage their baseline". So I said "I don't have a clue what you just said - must be the cultural divide". After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing we agreed that they meant " the task would be done by whichever organisation had someone available to do it."

I wish there was a Likes system on this forum.

Good on you.

Good for you!

I forgot about another one. Was on a email chain at work about an IT problem, one of the directors in the US (English guy) asked me:

"do you have bandwidth to look at this?"

LOL

Thankyou, Mr Oakes, for expanding my vocabulary of slang terms. You'll have to excuse me now if I nip off to erase my google search history of the term!

Sick burn bro'

it's fkn annoying.

to me, "reaching out" evokes a samaritan offering help to somebody in trouble, perhaps dangling above a precipice by the merest foothold.

instead of what it usually is:

some marketing chancer trying to peddle something.

No,the marketing chancer will have been dealing with the public sector, and this language is rife...I have a glossary on the words they use, and the change of meaning from everyday useage.

Im going to evaluate its usage in a safeguarding environment so that key factors can be identified.

Don't know what you mean, I'm sure :)

P

The OP has not become enlightened to your Jesus like qualities yet, Jesus!

Pope Pin XII