Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

I Like To Start My Days With A....35 Minute Train Journey Into London

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44720570.html

"

5 bedroom detached house for sale
Beachampton, Buckinghamshire, MK19
Guide Price £1,195,000"
The only problem being....no one in London is buying now perhaps ?
26/09/2014
Agent changed: from 'by Knight Frank' to 'Knight Frank'
Price changed: from '£1,350,000' to '£1,195,000'
07/04/2014
Title changed: Beachampton, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK19
19/03/2014
Price changed: from '£1,450,000' to '£1,350,000'
06/02/2014
Price changed: £1,450,000
03/02/2014
Initial entry found.

£1.2M in MK, ROFL. Don't get me wrong, I have lived in MK and if you pick the right location (one of the old villages) it's a great place.

I love these slow motion car crash sales, you can almost hear the air hissing out of the increasingly flaccid balloon.

Didn't we have loads like this that went on for years where the vendor repeatedly dropped to just above the going rate as the market went down in 2008-10?

'kin hilarious. Talk about short term memory loss!

I was going to say, "Who would pay £1m for a HOUSE"? But then I looked at the link and, to be fair, it is a nice house. If I was a multi-millionaire I might consider it.

4 x annual gross pay of £250k per year.....for some it might be worth the 35 min train journey, for a short period of time of a lifetime. ;)

And don't forget the 9 mile drive to the station with a margin of error for bad days before the 35 minute train ride followed by the further ride from Euston to the office.

I would guess that the total door to door trip to work in London is somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes each way depending on where the office happens to be.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44720570.html

"

5 bedroom detached house for sale
Beachampton, Buckinghamshire, MK19
Guide Price £1,195,000"
The only problem being....no one in London is buying now perhaps ?
26/09/2014
Agent changed: from 'by Knight Frank' to 'Knight Frank'
Price changed: from '£1,350,000' to '£1,195,000'
07/04/2014
Title changed: Beachampton, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK19
19/03/2014
Price changed: from '£1,450,000' to '£1,350,000'
06/02/2014
Price changed: £1,450,000
03/02/2014
Initial entry found.

It's worrying that when people post links to properties down south, they are looking cheaper than ones up here.

For offers in excess of £1m in Cheshire you can have a derelict barn in 0.7 acres.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45110138.html

Or how about a 2 bed flat in Chester for £1.3m?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43734409.html?premiumA=true

I was going to say, "Who would pay £1m for a HOUSE"? But then I looked at the link and, to be fair, it is a nice house. If I was a multi-millionaire I might consider it.

have you overlooked that it is Grade II listed ?

I have written before that I think that peoples attitudes to listed buildings (i.e often paying a premium to live in them!!) is nuts. I MIGHT consider it if it were heavily discounted - to take into account all the liability and responsibility in maintaining to the satisfaction of the the officious busybodies who decide on these matters.

IF it were less than half the current price I MIGHT consider it.

The thing is, nice house or not, 35 minutes is a totally unrealistic indication of the commute time to London that someone living there would face. Most of the trains will actually take 45 minutes or more then, when you add in the time to get to the station in MK and the time to get from Euston to wherever you work in London, you'd be like to see much change from 90 minutes.

I did the Cambridge to London commute for several years and I lost count of the number of people who assumed my door to desk time in the City would be an hour at most. They all said this based on the mendacious marketting material for new developments in Cambridge they'd seen in the Evening Standard and generally refused to believe me when I told them that, on a good day, I could do it in 1:45 and, on a normal day, it was 2 hours. Such is the power of advertising I guess.

The only point in buying a house in the UK for £1million would be to sell it for £1.5 million and go and live somewhere else where the £500k profit would enable you not to live in the UK. Those days are gone now.

And don't forget the 9 mile drive to the station with a margin of error for bad days before the 35 minute train ride followed by the further ride from Euston to the office.

I would guess that the total door to door trip to work in London is somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes each way depending on where the office happens to be.

brompton-train.jpg

brompton-train.jpg

Nine miles each way on a Brompton every day, plus however far you have to go at the London end, is quite a tiring commute, unless you keep the Brompton in your car boot and then take it out when you get to the station. Bromptons can take up a lot of room on very crowded trains though and some guards have been known to refuse carriage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_in_London 2013 deaths[edit]

In November 2013, six cyclists were killed on London streets within a two-week period, bringing the number of cyclists killed in London in the year to 14,

How many car drivers were killed in the same period?

Edit: I'll guess around 200. (10 million people in London - 1/6th of UK population. 1800 road deaths per annum - 9 months of the year gone = roughly 200).

Edited by the gardener

How many car drivers were killed in the same period?

Edit: I'll guess around 200. (10 million people in London - 1/6th of UK population. 1800 road deaths per annum - 9 months of the year gone = roughly 200).

I would imagine quite a few pedestrians were killed too, but you never hear people say 'oooo you won't catch me walking in London - far too dangerous!'