House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bambam

Classic Mumsnet Thread: People On Benefits Don't Get Much, Really

So the OP is the proverbial single mum on benefits. Sh*t at money management, but that's neither here nor there.

She posts her income, which comes to £900/month (plus subsidised gym membership from the council) AFTER rent & council tax is paid for (which, she claims don't count as income), and then says 'I don't get much, really.' Entire thread is basically people saying 'I work all the hours god sends and don't get close to that'. She is surprised by these responses.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2192825-Here-is-my-total-income-as-a-lone-parent-on-benefits

LOL

Of course she is only an amateur, a real pro would be registered self employed selling Avon or similar, add on the working tax credits, kids with ADHD for the disability benefits.

Just shows working is a mug's game unless you get a big salary, though these days with HPI even a big salary doesn't go far.

I like this bit

"Um, that's not bad really is it?

Suppose you add in council tax (120ish?) and housing benefit (700ish?) that you have paid direct to recipient that is 1722 a month in benefits.

That's equivalent to 20664 take home pay, which is equivalent to a job paying £26000.

That's not that bad?"

Of course that is not true most people earning £20K + have travel costs so she is really on the same as £28K p.a +

900 a month after rent and council tax is at least 20k smackeroos a year, at least. Nobody at the lower end of the working stiff scale is going to get anywhere near that.

If this is how generous it is under the Tories, just think how much more generous it will be under Labour. More tax from people who actually work to pay for the "poor" benefits recipients.

Wait until her youngest goes over 16/18 and she then becomes a NMW worker whos tax pays for the next batch of tax credit/benefit claims.A few people i know are crossing that line now in their mid 40s and they are waking up to the fact they are stuffed from here until pension age ,68 for them as things stand.One works part time and thought it was a wind up when her entire tax credits stopped and she was told £90 a week on 16 hours entitled her to 0.HB and council tax benefit yes.

Likely the next parliament will also see benefits capped at 1% every year and possible tinkering with allowable earnings levels and clawback rates.

Just imagine if she got more than £5.00 in child maintenance on top !

The other thing I notice is how normal it is to be in debt. It's my belief most of the food bank users are there primarily because of previous borrowing.

The other thing I notice is how normal it is to be in debt. It's my belief most of the food bank users are there primarily because of previous borrowing.

This is it, the payment meter, for example, is costing a fortune, and it's purely because she's sh*t at looking after her money. This often gets painted as government not paying enough benefits, when the reality is most of the time it's just bad personal choices.

Wait until her youngest goes over 16/18 and she then becomes a NMW worker whos tax pays for the next batch of tax credit/benefit claims.A few people i know are crossing that line now in their mid 40s and they are waking up to the fact they are stuffed from here until pension age ,68 for them as things stand.One works part time and thought it was a wind up when her entire tax credits stopped and she was told £90 a week on 16 hours entitled her to 0.HB and council tax benefit yes.

Likely the next parliament will also see benefits capped at 1% every year and possible tinkering with allowable earnings levels and clawback rates.

The trick is to have another in your late thirties/early forties.I know a couple of lasses from the area of my youth who had three/four kids in their teens/early twenties and then popped another one out when the tap was about to run dry.Coincidence naturally.

As you so often point out in the Tesco thread,it's all about free cash flow.

Indeed, if the father of her children had a job she really would be rolling in it. One of my daughters friends mum has 4 children by 3 different men. If they have average wage jobs she is pulling in 50% of that and she gets all those benefits on top.

I pay my ex £800 per month, she has a mortgage free house and works part time as a teacher. Gets £6k p.a. Tax credit and child benefit. When she declared her finances she admitted she was saving £1k per month. I guess she has £2k per month coming in net with no rent.

If my children were to spend even one day a week with me (they are both over 12 and therefore get a "free choice"), she would lose a lot of that. Can you imagine the impact of that on ones relationship with your children?

Also is it not surprising that men who can actually do respectable jobs will not go near such women?

You are right the support is for the kids support not the parents.... Which leaves the parents time to enrich them with a good educational environment, teach them the right life skills and good work ethics......this will then work out to be their new support, supported by their working kids and the countries future support by way of their kids taxes.....after that very little help is given, you are basicly on your own.....having kids is a big sacrifice and can if not done correctly will sacrifice your financial future.

You are right the support is for the kids support not the parents.... Which leaves the parents time to enrich them with a good educational environment, teach them the right life skills and good work ethics......this will then work out to be their new support, supported by their working kids and the countries future support by way of their kids taxes.....after that very little help is given, you are basicly on your own.....having kids is a big sacrifice and can if not done correctly will sacrifice your financial future.

In theory, Yes.

In practise, No.

Schooling and working used to be a way out of poverty. That social escalator has broken in the last 200 odd.

Brought home to me when I went to see a mate who lives on an estate near to where I grew up.

The place was overrun by grandkids of people I went to school with, who signed on, whose kids signed on, or rather tax-credited/single mummed. Im in my early 40s by the way.

Most people tend to copy what there parents do.

Thats now true if your parents/parent is on benefit.

Also is it not surprising that men who can actually do respectable jobs will not go near such women?

I've heard that an immigrant boy on benefits is just the toy to have these days.

Only 16 hours away a week for the work plus entitlement.

And absolutely no chance of becoming a rugby or cricket widow.

Surprised the Mail hasn't done a feature.

Are you serious? Do you think Heather Frost's children have good work ethics? Most people get ethics by watching what others do, not what they say.

She will probably become "ill" and other benefits when she her children start work.

In theory, Yes.

In practise, No.

Schooling and working used to be a way out of poverty. That social escalator has broken in the last 200 odd.

Brought home to me when I went to see a mate who lives on an estate near to where I grew up.

The place was overrun by grandkids of people I went to school with, who signed on, whose kids signed on, or rather tax-credited/single mummed. Im in my early 40s by the way.

Most people tend to copy what there parents do.

Thats now true if your parents/parent is on benefit.

In the majority of cases you are of course right......only the few manage to escape the slippery slope that can follow on over many generations.....tptb have encouraged this by the policies they have made....the people change their behaviours to match those polices......Throwing money at people is the easy way, instead of creating job security, discipline along with top notch education.....all that comes at a much higher price, when we now only have short-term politics in this country.......tomorrow is not our problem, tomorrow is a growing problem others will have to deal with. ;)

In the majority of cases you are of course right......only the few manage to escape the slippery slope that can follow on over many generations.....tptb have encouraged this by the policies they have made....the people change their behaviours to match those polices......Throwing money at people is the easy way, instead of creating job security, discipline along with top notch education.....all that comes at a much higher price, when we now only have short-term politics in this country.......tomorrow is not our problem, tomorrow is a growing problem others will have to deal with. ;)

Surely the people who voted for those policies are equally guilty? Many other European countries don't have those policies.

Surely the people who voted for those policies are equally guilty? Many other European countries don't have those policies.

Yup. So it's all very sad. However now people have cottoned on, the only way to end this warped state of affairs is to end the policy.

I don't follow winkie's line of reasoning. If we accept that these people are victims what do we then do about it? Even if her kids had a guaranteed Oxbridge place if they got the grades, they are not going to get the grades.

The sad truth is that people do learn by example and if we hear of benefit queens living it large that is a powerful example, a better one than "work your azz off and if you do well, and pass your exams, you'll maybe get a good job."

Part of the solution is surely to see benefit queens having a lot in life that others would not wish to emulate.