House Price Crash Forum

How Black Can Black Be?

Northerner

HOLA441

Vantablack - well he's never been down a mine with his cap lamp turned off, or he would not be spouting all this rubbish! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29326916

A material dubbed the darkest substance on earth is being used creatively by internationally acclaimed artist Sir Anish Kapoor. Vantablack, developed by Surrey Nanosystems, uses complex technology to ensure that over 99% of the light that hits its surface is absorbed.

Speaking to Sarah Montague on the Today Programme, Sir Anish explained that the substance is "blacker than anything you can imagine... So black you almost can't see it".

He went on to explain the possible artistic applications of Vantablack:"It's effectively like a paint.... Imagine a space that's so dark that as you walk in you lose all sense of where you are, what you are, and especially all sense of time."

"Something happens to your emotional self and in disorientation one has to reach in for other resources," he added.

HOLA442

He's right about the disorientation part (and I have been done a mine with my cap lamp turned off), and possibly the blackest substance - mines theemselves aren't particularly black, they're just lacking in light sources to show up what colour they are. An important difference. However the bit about "blacker than anything you can imagine" suggests one that he's not considered.

HOLA443

This is the stuff that looks likes crumpled up foil on one side, then you turn it over to the side with the nano-tubes and you simply can't see any imperfections in the surface because the detail is completely lost?

I understand it has very interesting applications.. Probably can't / shouldn't say what though.

HOLA444

This is the stuff that looks likes crumpled up foil on one side, then you turn it over to the side with the nano-tubes and you simply can't see any imperfections in the surface because the detail is completely lost?

I understand it has very interesting applications.. Probably can't / shouldn't say what though.

would have been handy on the black hole thread.

HOLA445

Hiding the national debt

Fireworks display?

HOLA446

If you think you have seen a black cat, you haven't! They are so optically dense that light cannot get out! All you see is a black cat shape! You can pretty much see where they have been though, because they have runny brown shit!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Vantablack - well he's never been down a mine with his cap lamp turned off, or he would not be spouting all this rubbish! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29326916

A material dubbed the darkest substance on earth is being used creatively by internationally acclaimed artist Sir Anish Kapoor. Vantablack, developed by Surrey Nanosystems, uses complex technology to ensure that over 99% of the light that hits its surface is absorbed.

Speaking to Sarah Montague on the Today Programme, Sir Anish explained that the substance is "blacker than anything you can imagine... So black you almost can't see it".

He went on to explain the possible artistic applications of Vantablack:"It's effectively like a paint.... Imagine a space that's so dark that as you walk in you lose all sense of where you are, what you are, and especially all sense of time."

"Something happens to your emotional self and in disorientation one has to reach in for other resources," he added.

He should visit the off topic forum.

HOLA4415

On dear, no doubt another 20+ page thread with you amateur Einsteins over-complicating everything again.

Let me explain...

XYY

Great stuff! I can just remember that.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I think the blackest black I see are the watch and sunglasses sellers on Spanish beaches.

These guys are just black, i mean really black...not obama black, just absorbing the light, black...makes the sunglasses look even more twinkly in contrast.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I guess that dressing up like "African Minstels" has gone out of fashion for white-ish blokes like me!

I suppose I was rather "wowed" by a rather young Shirley Bassey, as seen on monochrome TV when I was 5 years old! I didn't even work out she was black! I just liked the pretty lady!

HOLA4423

Nina Simone was certainly gifted! She can play the piano and sing at the same time. With modern studio techniques this skill is not required. What makes her hair so high. Is there a cardboard cone holding it up?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived