House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

80S Pop Stars ... As They Are Now

Guest eight

Sonic Youth are a bit ironic now.

I have to say that Crimson/Red by Prefab Sprout is one of the best albums I've heard in recent times, even if Paddy McAloon is turning into Roger Whitaker.

I'm surprised how little some of them have changed in 30 years.

The only ones who look a bit daft are the "outrageous" ones: Nina Hagen and Lene Lovitch need a style makeover urgently.

If I was going to step back into the limelight and had gained a few pounds I would have hired a personal trainer for a year and sprung on stage toned and impressive.

I am not, however, the great artist that Kate Bush is.

I suspect she made a conscious decision not to do this and see how many people would miss the marvellous songs and staging and merely home in upon her being a bit fat.

A lot of talent right there. Thank god this wasn't done as a listicle, took me 10 minutes to review as it is.

Stranglers look murderously mad. David Byrne is getting more Lynch-ian by the year. Surprised Holly Johnson is still with us. Sting, Morten Harket and Bananarama - for the win - age did not weary them! Tears for Fears - not much change... Peter Gabriel not so much. Can't think of any major omissions - Echo and the Bunnymen, Curiosity Killed The Cat, Terence Trent d'Arby, Dire Straits...

A quick gander at the picture of a band I do know - XTC - looks like this was taken for the Oranges and Lemons album promotion in 1989.

So I withdraw my comment about how good they're all looking 30 years on because I think a lot of those photos are pretty dated.

Most of the 60s-80s stars seem to have kept their hair (except boy George). Dad had some photos from an old school reunion a year or so back. They all kept their hair too despite being all in their mid 60s.

Im barely 30 and already hair isn't as thick as it once was, most my friends losing theirs too.

Modern diet? Lack of smoking? I read somewhere baldness was unknown in Japan till they adopted a more western diet. I see more younger guys with less hair nowadays than older guys!

There's nothing sadder than an ageing rocker. Most of them would look perfectly ok if they just dropped their 'rock star' look but I suppose they can't let it go.

On the subject of baldness I'm not sure there's more of it about. You can't tell easily in old pics because most men combed their with a side parting, so if you were going a bit thin on top a combover hid it for a while, also lots of men keep their hair at the front but go bald at the back which you don't see in pics, more men also wore hats. Nowadays men shave it all off even if they're just going a bit thin on top or not at all, so perhaps it just seems as if there are more slapheads around.

If I was them I'd be worried, a lot of them look like the sort you'd report hanging around a playground, and I don't just mean Glitter

Sort yourselves out FFS before you get trial by image treatment :lol:

Terri Nunn out of Berlin looks very nice!

Again though it's the dodgy hair and clothes and 'mutton dressed as lamb' look which ages them. Look at Adam Ant. He has exceptionally fine features, good skin, is not overweight etc (he might be bald under the headscarf) but his bizarre get up makes him look much older than he actually is.