House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Ed Miliband: Tax On Tobacco Giants Will Boost Nhs

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/22/ed-miliband-speech-tax-tobacco-nhs-labour-conference

Ed Miliband is to put the nation’s health at the centre of a 10-year plan for Britain’s future on Tuesday, backing the NHS with funding from a novel windfall tax on the profits of UK tobacco companies and the proceeds of a mansion tax on homes worth more than £2m.

In his final Labour party conference speech before next year’s general election, Miliband will tell sceptical voters he can bring the country back together and offer six ambitious goals, including changes to the NHS, designed to overcome “the greatest challenges of our age and transform the ethics of how Britain is run” over the next decade.

The NHS is generally acknowledged to be facing a growing funding crisis after four years of tight settlements, deepening demographic pressure and an inefficient system that splits health and social care. The Nuffield Trust has suggested there will be a financial shortfall of £2bn in 2015-16.

A mansion tax could raise £1.7bn, and had originally been earmarked by the shadow chancellor, Ed Balls, to fund a 10p starting rate of income tax, but that is now due to be funded by abolishing the marriage tax rate.

The details of a tax on the profits of tobacco companies – a variation of a so-called sin tax – were not available late on Monday from shadow cabinet sources. But tobacco firms, already subject to heavy excise duties and threatened with legislation on plain packaging, will be furious. Labour is likely to counter that the firms have a duty to help the NHS because of the link between cancer and tobacco. Estimates for the amount spent on tobacco in the UK in 2011 range from £15.3bn to £18.3bn. The cost of smoking to the NHS is put at between £2.7bn and £5.2bn.

Miliband proving how out of touch with reality he is.

I though Balls was selling the Mansion tax to cut the deficit now it's to fund the NHS. It appears this money is going to raise lots for spendy spendy.

Rather than tackling the issues we get fluff!

I though Balls was selling the Mansion tax to cut the deficit now it's to fund the NHS.

Have you not heard of fractional reserve promises?

If you own a big house you'll be expected to buy a hospital.

A vision of hospitality.

Doubtful.

Imported fags are killing revenue.

Walking round town, I'd say 50%+ are vaping now.

I never thought fags would die off that quick but the change to efags seems to have made a real difference.

In otherwords `A tax on the poor again, Get out and do something radical for a change you useless Tory Party emulators

The big tobacco companies poor??? How come they consistently pay some of the best returns anywhere on the FTSE to their investors?

There was me thinking it was just because so many of us refuse to become drugs barons, so the demand side is reduced leaving all the more profits for those who are happy to profit from pure evil.

The big tobacco companies poor??? How come they consistently pay some of the best returns anywhere on the FTSE to their investors?

There was me thinking it was just because so many of us refuse to become drugs barons, so the demand side is reduced leaving all the more profits for those who are happy to profit from pure evil.

Not them, They will pass the burden on to the consumer not the share holder. Or shorten the cigarette for the same price by lengthening the filter tip, The same way they can pass on duties

Invent a tax raising measure and that tax can be simultaneously allocated to the NHS, the deficit, debt, defence, welfare - you name it.

It's a form of double/triple etc counting. During his time as Chancellor Gordon was famous for it.

So oldies worth millions on asset wealth will be asked to help pay towards the care their generation will need.

Good stuff, they had a good run getting away with having the young pay for it all for so long. I don't want to see the NHS collapse under a grey tide of property millionaires claiming they're broke.

And smokers are going to get stung for smoking. Harsh again but fair, smoking is not exactly great for your health and we live in a society with collectivised health care. You choose to increase your chances of needing extra healthcare later in life, pay an extra 20p for those fags.

Edited by hans kammler

Doubtful.

Imported fags are killing revenue.

Walking round town, I'd say 50%+ are vaping now.

I never thought fags would die off that quick but the change to efags seems to have made a real difference.

Yup. As usual technology drives change. Not loudmouthed procrastinating tw@ts like miliband.

You can see where things are going. An ageing population means an increasing NHS that is taking up more and more of the cake. In 1970 it was one seventh of the size it is today in real terms. The average person 60+ now requires £5,000 per year in NHS treatments.

It just means that the transfer of resources from housing and children (the young) to elderly services, the NHS is unstoppable.

I see that even Labour are proposing a reduction on child benefit, meanwhile health is sacrosanct and I suppose it should be.

Tax is always their solution....take more and more and more.

Never rationalise and cut costs, sack the useless and get back to basics.

The NHS has not stopped 1 person from dying so I am not sure why they throw so much money at it.

The NHS has not stopped 1 person from dying so I am not sure why they throw so much money at it.

It could actually encourage bad lifestyle decisions. My dad has worked out that you can basically live off biscuits and Mr. Kipling pies and still have a low cholesterol level all through the miracle of statins.

and i guess if you become obese there is some comfort in the knowledge that treatment for diabetes improves all the time and normal longevity may still be available....cake and eating it stuff.

So oldies work millions on asset wealth will be asked to help pay towards the care their generation will need.

Good stuff, they had a good run getting away with having the young pay for it all for so long. I don't want to see the NHS collapse under a grey tide of property millionaires claiming they're broke.

And smokers are going to get stung for smoking. Harsh again but fair, smoking is not exactly great for your health and we live in a society with collectivised health care. You choose to increase your chances of needing extra healthcare later in life, pay an extra 20p for those fags.

The Treasury hope people keep smoking and drinking as at present

Edited by stormymonday_2011

Lots of talk that taxing everything is the answer to our problems in the last few days.

Think theyll find that its overspending that is the problem.

...... managing the economy is much the same as managing your own household.......less coming in, means spending less/cutting back not borrowing more.....else it leads to bankruptcy/poor credit rating......poor credit rating = no more debt or at the best very expensive debt. ;)

According to whom?

http://ahip.org/Issues/Age-Rating.aspx

According to US actuarial studies the average older person uses 6.7 times more health resources than younger people (see video - 'Premiums'). I'm struggling to bring up the data pm...but surely it's not much of a stretch of imagination to go from a £2,000 per capita spend across the entire population to something like £5,000 per capta for the retired. Health spending in 1970 was one seventh in real terms to where we are now on a much younger demographic.

One reason why you can forget about the 200,000 houses being built.... 1950s fantasy history when most people didn't live very long. Now we have health devouring a larger and larger share of National product (and with an ageing population) you haven't seen anything yet.

Edited by crashmonitor

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/22/ed-miliband-speech-tax-tobacco-nhs-labour-conference

Miliband proving how out of touch with reality he is.

I though Balls was selling the Mansion tax to cut the deficit now it's to fund the NHS. It appears this money is going to raise lots for spendy spendy.

Rather than tackling the issues we get fluff!

He will not be able to tax the cigarettes which come from Poland etc and will be the NHS,s biggest smoking related problem in the future.

It's saved 3 people in my family alone lad.

You make lots of great posts. Don't spoil them making daft statements like that.