House Price Crash Forum

Hmrc Questioning My Ltd [Property] Company

HOLA441

VI sets up a Ltd Co for his portfolio of around 55 properties, usual old chestnut of "with interest rates at an all-time low" followed by a some dodgy accounting set-up to avoid some tax. Taxman doesn't quite agree.

http://www.property118.com/hmrc-questioning-ltd-company/68694/

:)

HOLA442
HOLA443

It is a scam unless the LTD has purchased all the debt from the man, the ownership of the houses have been sold to the LTD at an "armslength" price and the whole kit and caboodle belong to the LTD.

In other words, I suspect he is putting the income through the LTD which actually might be OK, but the costs of the housing have no place in the books of the LTD as it has no ownership or interest in them. I suspect they have "employed" the LTD as a sort of dependant EA manager, but as the scheme is solely aimed to reduce a tax liability then it is clearly an evasion.

HOLA444
HOLA445

"We put through a fixed amount (15%) of the yearly rental income that would be similar to high street letting agents. This amount is based on the fact that we manage all the maintenance and file any eviction paperwork and attend court ourselves, so the 15% was deemed to be fair."

I don't know what that means...

If the properties are owned by the LTD company then all income and expenditure of them is the LTD companies and presumable he and his wife as directors can take salary and dividends?

HOLA446

"We put through a fixed amount (15%) of the yearly rental income that would be similar to high street letting agents. This amount is based on the fact that we manage all the maintenance and file any eviction paperwork and attend court ourselves, so the 15% was deemed to be fair."

If the properties are owned by the LTD company then all income and expenditure of them is the LTD companies and presumable he and his wife as directors can take salary and dividends?

I think the properties are owned by him plus wife. The ltd is just a letting agent charging 15% of rents to him and his wife for managing properties

HOLA447

I think the properties are owned by him plus wife. The ltd is just a letting agent charging 15% of rents to him and his wife for managing properties

Yes I think it is reasonably sure this is the scam.

If he gets away with it I will start billing a limited company for all the cleaning, driving, general chores, financial advice, personal training etc I render to myself in order to lower my tax bill.

HOLA448

He is saying what I said...he is claiming his other company is the managing agent and has costs which it charges for.

Its just that he is charging himself and doing the work himself where the evasion could occur.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Think he means set up a ltd co. as a quasi estate agency/rental agency,

He is saying what I said...he is claiming his other company is the managing agent and has costs which it charges for.

Its just that he is charging himself and doing the work himself where the evasion could occur.

Being both the provider of services and the purchaser of services then puts him in the position to potenitially fiddle the figures to ******. It is like making up your own bloody invoices!

Edited by onlyme2

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

When you think about it this is exactly along the same lines as the corporates - who shuffle the "profit" part of their business to whichever company they prefer, except in their case it is set up so those "managing agents" or "profit centres" are in a prefereable tax location altogether.

HOLA4413

When you think about it this is exactly along the same lines as the corporates - who shuffle the "profit" part of their business to whichever company they prefer, except in their case it is set up so those "managing agents" or "profit centres" are in a prefereable tax location altogether.

Quite. his error was not registering in Nevada.

HOLA4414

Being both the provider of services and the purchaser of services then puts him in the position to potenitially fiddle the figures to ******. It is like making up your own bloody invoices!

The proper way to do it (from a local example) is have a third party set up as a letting agent, they collect the rent and employ themself through it and then forgot to give you the rent money. They go bust having spent it all.

Then you have to take it back in house and manage it yourself until you find another friend interested in doing this.

Of course in the mean time the bank doesn't get it's money back but it'll be about 6 years before they grow the cahonies to do anything about it.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

It appears there are three separate tax payers. The ltd (managing agent) and then himself and his wife (property owners). All the scheme does is defer tax if the ltd does not pay a dividend or salary. HMRC will want to ignore the ltd as being a sham inserted for a non commercial purpose. As the ltd has no third party income, no independent directors and does not actually collect the rents HMRC have a case. IMHO

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

The scam with incorporation is dividends...you set your salary low and take the rest with a mere 10% hit on dividend. In theory the dividend is supposed to be the icing on the cake and the bulk of earning through paye as an employee of your own company.

The fact is some accountants take libities with the divi.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Of course, if he was smart he would have found another LL and run HIS properties, whilst that LL did the same and ran his. That way, no challenge would be possible by HMRC.

Shows how crazy the whole thing is.

HOLA4423

The scam with incorporation is dividends...you set your salary low and take the rest with a mere 10% hit on dividend. In theory the dividend is supposed to be the icing on the cake and the bulk of earning through paye as an employee of your own company.

The fact is some accountants take libities with the divi.

Even better, you get a tax credit on the dividends, because you've already paid corporation tax on the profits. And you don't pay national insurance on dividends...

HOLA4424
HOLA4425