House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

London Transport Chief Warns City Could Face Riots As Transport Crisis Looms

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/london-transport-chief-warns-city-could-face-riots-as-transport-crisis-looms-9749138.html

London’s transport commissioner has warned the city could face riots again unless more trains and buses are available at affordable fares for the poorest communities.

Many of the poorest communities are no longer based in the inner-city but instead on the outskirts of London, according to Sir Peter Hendy. They rely on buses, whose fares have risen by 50 per cent over the past six year, to get them to work.

Sir Peter, head of Transport for London (TfL), said unless transport capacity is increased and fares stabilised there would be serious problems.

“The stakes are pretty high. If you're not able to increase transport capacity, and people find accessing work impossible, you risk social unrest. You can expect trouble."

Painting a bleak picture, Sir Peter said to the Guardian: "The bus network is the staple of outer London. We're going to need more revenue funding. Otherwise we're going to leave people behind.

“When you start leaving people behind, you start saying to people in London they may not be able to get to work on time and when that happens, you damage the economy quite severely."

The obvious solution of rebalancing the UK economy away from London rather than increasing density in London is clearly a stupid option. Spunking billions on improving the transport infrastructure to increase density further in London is clearly the better plan.

It's all part of the master plan and going well.

the bigger picture is to clear the scum and working class from Londona dn make room for the Oligarchs and 1%. If you are lucky then you will get servents quaters in a loaf of bread once per week.

Remember. these are the same big government stooges who want to ban things like uber because It might result in cheaper transport.

The network of unregulated minibuses in the developing world in places like Johannesburg, despite not getting subsidies like big operating monopolies deliver cheaper prices too

Around here the poles all crowd into taxis and minibuses to share the cost of getting to and from factories, maybe if London wasn't such an anti-social place where no one talks to one another they could do the same there.

Basically its just another self centred big government scumbag saying 'give me more money'

"The bus network is the staple of outer London. We're going to need more revenue funding. Otherwise we're going to leave people behind.

Threatening people with something that already happens without riots :rolleyes:

Cycles... Fast, cheap, pollutionfree urban transport for everyone.

Build quality segregated cycle infrastructure to make the city function. Even New York is doing it.

Hang on, we run a bus service, but we need more funding, otherwise we will leave people behind?

What is the logic going on here...we have full buses, therefore we need more funding? or maybe demand is there, and, buses that are full pay for themselves, therefore, they dont need any more funding, they need more buses...suggest they pop down the bank and lease a few.

Or are there pension funding and other admin issues that are sucking the fares away from the actual service provision?

Build quality segregated cycle infrastructure to make the city function. Even New York is doing it.

No objection but the weather and danger (I suppose segregation reduces this)are two reasons it will never really catch on. By the way its not completely pollution free as humans eat animals who create methane!

"Many of the poorest communities are no longer based in the inner-city but instead on the outskirts of London"

So where are they going on the bus?

Do they work in the city? Are their wages not good enough to support their transport costs?

No objection but the weather and danger (I suppose segregation reduces this)are two reasons it will never really catch on. By the way its not completely pollution free as humans eat animals who create methane!

II was interested in this too. The European Cycling Federation (It's got european in the title so obviously they're all communists) has a handy calculator and a link to the underlying data report.

http://www.ecf.com/resources/co2-calculator/

I've had a quick look at a 15km journey and a bike comes out at about 20% the CO2 emissions of a bus, and 8% of a car. I've not yet checked to see if that's journey only, or whole of life output (i.e. inc manufacturing of vehicles etc) or assumptions for capacity utilisation of car/bus.

Edit: The report behind the calc http://www.ecf.com/wp-content/uploads/ECF_BROCHURE_EN_planche.pdf

Edited by R K

Oddly enough millions of British workers used to commute by bicycle in the old days (pre-1980s) and the rain and danger didn't seem to put them off. Could it be that as a nation we are just fatter, lazier, more risk averse and have a higher sense of entitlement?

Oddly enough millions of British workers used to commute by bicycle in the old days (pre-1980s) and the rain and danger didn't seem to put them off. Could it be that as a nation we are just fatter, lazier, more risk averse and have a higher sense of entitlement?

or cars became cheaper as economy grew wealthier

http://www.who.int/gho/urban_health/situation_trends/urban_population_growth_text/en/

The urban population in 2014 accounted for 54% of the total global population, up from 34% in 1960, and continues to grow. The urban population growth, in absolute numbers, is concentrated in the less developed regions of the world. It is estimated that by 2017, even in less developed countries, a majority of people will be living in urban areas.

I get it....like bike lanes for rich people and lanes for poor people. You can only ride in this lane if you have a Cannondale or above.

or cars became cheaper as economy grew wealthier

Or people are expected to commute further distances.

I get it....like bike lanes for rich people and lanes for poor people. You can only ride in this lane if you have a Cannondale or above.

LOL, I have a cannondale

I cycle as a form of protest. By cycling the gov gets bugger all revenue out of me in fact by using the cycle to work scheme I really hammer them. My journey is 2/3rds on cycle lanes but I dunno if I would be as keen to cycle through London traffic. Weather isnt too bad, I have been cycling over a year and I have only been caught in the rain a handful of times and I have a decent rain coat. If a sizable part of the population started cycling it would really damage the gov and I believe that the only really effective protest these days is with the money you spend.

I mentioned on the other thread, but may as well repeat myself. The whole ethos of transport provision in the UK is biased towards car. Everything that has been done in the last 50+ years has been to make car driving convenienter, faster and safer at the expense of other road users. Providing a few cycle lanes here and there is just fiddling with the deck chairs.

If we think that the sort of urban environment they have in Copenhagen, Amsterdam or Berlin is desirable, then it will require a fundamental change of direction to achieve.

From an entirely selfish point of view, riots in London are probably a good thing. Kind of win win.

I mentioned on the other thread, but may as well repeat myself. The whole ethos of transport provision in the UK is biased towards car. Everything that has been done in the last 50+ years has been to make car driving convenienter, faster and safer at the expense of other road users. Providing a few cycle lanes here and there is just fiddling with the deck chairs.

If we think that the sort of urban environment they have in Copenhagen, Amsterdam or Berlin is desirable, then it will require a fundamental change of direction to achieve.

From an entirely selfish point of view, riots in London are probably a good thing. Kind of win win.

cars are good.

Judging by the number of plus size people around, we have more than enough food to power our bicycles and still reduce pur intake.

Or people are expected to commute further distances.

Cheap cars, combined with sedentary jobs, were what led I think largely to the fat people we see today.

Mass car ownership also normalised long commutes, made people risk averse and scared of bad weather (as they got used to travelling in heated metal boxes), and led to a sense of entitlement as they vied to have the most expensive tin box on the road.

Add all that together and it's difficult to promote cycling as an alternative either to cars or public transport.

It doesn't particularly bother me, it just puzzles me somewhat when I cycle past all the motorists stuck in traffic jams.

and arrive at work stinking of sweat, freezing cold or boiling hot. No thanks.

All this cycling propaganda is de-civilization of the world. Technology is supposed to make life easier, not relegate us to a form of transport that had its day 150 years back. We should be in flying cars by now for gods sake.

Cheap cars, combined with sedentary jobs, were what led I think largely to the fat people we see today.

Mass car ownership also normalised long commutes, made people risk averse and scared of bad weather (as they got used to travelling in heated metal boxes), and led to a sense of entitlement as they vied to have the most expensive tin box on the road.

Add all that together and it's difficult to promote cycling as an alternative either to cars or public transport.

It doesn't particularly bother me, it just puzzles me somewhat when I cycle past all the motorists stuck in traffic jams.

Not the carb rich diet pushed by big agri?

They had near universal car ownership in the US in 1980, most industrial jobs already gone by then and obesity was a fraction of its current level.