House Price Crash Forum
subspace

Labour To Introduce Local Housing Benefit Caps

"We will cap structural social security spending and keep the benefits cap, but we will make sure it properly reflects local housing costs"

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/98137818419/speech-by-ed-balls-mp-to-labour-party-annual

Any self respecting voter would question why they didn't do this for the 13 years they were recently ruining....errr, I mean... governing the country. <_<

I'm not sure about the local cap. My gut feeling is that HB should be the same where ever you live in the country. Anyone moving out of London to some where cheaper would then get a lot more money to spend locally. This surely would stop the the north south devide?

So they are basically going to raise the cap in London so those working part time on minimum wage can continue to live here whilst those that aren't entitled to benefits are going to once again have to compete with their benefit counterparts in an already overheated rental market. Raising the cap just means landlords know they can charge more. ******ing great.

I'm not sure about the local cap. My gut feeling is that HB should be the same where ever you live in the country. Anyone moving out of London to some where cheaper would then get a lot more money to spend locally. This surely would stop the the north south devide?

Labour are desperate to keep hold of London boroughs. They'd rather have taxpayers pay more towards HB so that the recipients vote Labour.

Stop talking sense! The whole point of the govt. is to tax the rest of the UK to keep funnelling money into London.

You'll be wanting to rebalance the economy away from property next!

Edited by R K

I think it could help to keep the London property market propped up. Investors who bought properties in London will be able to find taxpayer subsidised tenants to pay their high rents and make their investments viable, something that is not currently possible due to the national benefit cap.

Edited by subspace