House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Banner

House Prices Would Rise Under A Labour Government - Balls

Ed Balls, speaking at the Labour conference........

We will introduce "......a mansion tax on houses worth over two million pounds, but we will do it in a fair, sensible and proportionate way. Raising the limit each year in line with average rises in house prices......."

So there you have it, Labour intend for house prices to rise if they win the next election.

All the parties want house prices to increase, as it's creates the mirage of wealth. No one is insane enough to want to destroy that and get elected.

Rising in line with average prices will make London squeal, they'll have to have special dispensation.

Raising the limit each year in line with average rises in house prices......."

So there you have it, Labour intend for house prices to rise if they win the next election.

Well, average rises in houses over the long term is only something like 2-2.5% (in line with inflation). That is what he means, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Edited by renting til I die

No one is insane enough to want to destroy that and get elected.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2014/sep/22/labour-conference-ed-balls-speech-and-reaction-politics-live-blog

They think they control and set and even produce all in the economy with what comes out of their gobs.

All the parties want house prices to increase, as it's creates the mirage of wealth. No one is insane sane enough to want to destroy that and get elected.

I corrected your sentence

Not quite sure how the OP comes to the conclusion that this means he wants a rise in house prices, they can set this threshold at whatever they want once in power, and you can be sure that in time itll be lowered.

Id sooner Ed Balls in charge as hes just a stuttering, financially illiterate incompetent fool, Gidiot is a pure evil financially illiterate incompetent fool.

Edited by Corruption

If the Conservative branch has the secret plan of leaving house prices so high at the general election that they're bound to collapse under their chums the Labour branch then they'll have to pump prices up even more before the general election - because Labour clearly think that at the moment there's some more headroom for price increases after the election.

Edited by billybong

If the Conservative branch has the secret plan of leaving house prices so high at the general election that they're bound to collapse under their chums the Labour branch then they'll have to pump prices up even more before the general election - because Labour clearly think that at the moment there's some more room for price increases after the election.

Man with house says, I will use your money to make my house and my friends house worth more.

Vote for me.

:blink:

Man with house says, I will use your money to make my house and my friends house worth more.

Vote for me.

Indeed that's what Ball was about saying and forgetting about non-owners and also going on and on at the same time about being fair.

Many hypocritical threads within the same conference speech. Likely Milliband's speech tomorrow will be along the same lines.

Next week the Conservative conference will demonstrate even more of the same.

It's a shame that Gordon doesn't seem to be speaking at this conference given that he likes clear multi point plans on things like Devo Max. A multi point plan from him on housing and the 40 new Garden Cities would be interesting.

Maybe he should have his own conference.

Edited by billybong

Vote for me.

Democracy in action. We have seen how a majority of voters are idiots who think HPI is good for them (elections passim). Until that changes, and renters are in the majority, expect more of this.

I'm no fan of Balls, but I think you're being unfair to him. He's simply repeating the assumption that HP will rise, and stopping Tories claiming 'average folks' will be skewered by fiscal drag as their house prices rise in 'value'.

Note that Ed M. has spoken often about 'Out of reach' house prices being a bad thing.

I'm no fan of Balls, but I think you're being unfair to him. He's simply repeating the assumption that HP will rise, and stopping Tories claiming 'average folks' will be skewered by fiscal drag as their house prices rise in 'value'.

Note that Ed M. has spoken often about 'Out of reach' house prices being a bad thing.

Unfair to balls? He has bigger problems. He has to live with Yvette Cooper for starters.

And did he do anything about it when the last government, of which he was a member, pushed house prices higher and higher?

Cameron criticised "Labour's housing bubble" and then pushed it higher and higher.

Vince Cable criticised "Labour's housing bubble" and did nothing about it.

Labour, Conservative and LibDems have all presided over the same housing bubble, which is why so many of us will be voting UKIP next year!

Their mansion tax sounds toothless. So the "poor" little old biddy in a £5 million property can't pay so we shouldn't charge her. What's the point of a mansion tax that lets 99% get around it?

Nominal prices will rise under any government.

Cameron, Osborne & Shapps have certainly given them a turbo boost.

But all Balls is doing (probably) is using Osborne's OBR figures for house prices.

Edited by R K

Of course they will rise, they will be increasing QE in order to make them rise as they are unable to control spending commitments. That's why they need immigration to rise, doesn't matter that nobody can complete these mortgages, that's someone else's problem.

What's the point of a mansion tax that lets 99% get around it?

Electioneering. None of it makes practical sense because none of it is aimed at improving anyones lot. It is for headlines, for idiots to read, for votes.

Rationale?

We have a sovereign govt. and a central bank.

You need to come up with a rationale why they would orchestrate falling nominal prices.

You need to come up with a rationale why they would orchestrate falling nominal prices.

Millions of renters. Many owners who want to upsize but can't afford to.

Banks wanting to volume lend, at some point, on all that outright/high equity (£Trillions) mostly in possession of older owners. Banks don't make muc money with so much equity in the system trapped as owners' wealth - needs fresh debt on it - and if needs be, at much lower house prices.

Too many older VI complacent owners counting their HPI. We also had a sovereign government and a central bank in 1990.

Millions of renters. Many owners who want to upsize but can't afford to.

Banks wanting to volume lend, at some point, on all that outright/high equity (£Trillions) mostly in possession of older owners. Banks don't make muc money with so much equity in the system trapped as owners' wealth - needs fresh debt on it - and if needs be, at much lower house prices.

Too many older VI complacent owners counting their HPI. We also had a sovereign government and a central bank in 1990.

We had a bunch of self serving ****s and idiots in 2007.

Nominal prices will rise under any government.

Cameron, Osborne & Shapps have certainly given them a turbo boost.

But all Balls is doing (probably) is using Osborne's OBR figures for house prices.

no they won't.

if you can't provide a climate where people feel comfortable doing business ,the wealth producers(that's not just bigwig CEO's, but the geeks, techies and people that can actually MAKE stuff and do stuff), leave.

once you have a financial and brain drain..it is game over.

given that FTSE is at exactly the same level that it was 15 years ago, with inflation running at circa 3%, UK PLC has lost about 60% of it's net value compound.

so our stewards have done a feckin lousy job and need to be removed.

lets compare USA...10000- 17000 = 70% gain, less 60% inflation = 10%...roughly ok

Germany..similar.

This wide scale view always fails in the face of the realities of the details on the ground.

It is a theme I identified in another thread. These kinds of statements are made but the mechanisms are simply not there. All very hand-wavey, entirely unconvincing, and no opposing argument is ever presented when the contradictory details are laid out.

This wide scale view always fails in the face of the realities of the details on the ground.

It is a theme I identified in another thread. These kinds of statements are made but the mechanisms are simply not there. All very hand-wavey, entirely unconvincing, and no opposing argument is ever presented when the contradictory details are laid out.

? Well if you can point me to a sustained fall in nominal prices - Let's say RPI or CPI or even nominal wages over the longer term then I'm happy to have a look at your data.

But given we have a central bank that will happily expand its b/sheet by £375bn at the drop of a hat, and a government that has mandated a +ve inflation rate I suspect you'll have some difficulty.

(points are deducted for using the word 'japan' unless you're name is zugzwang, where it's mandatory)

Edited by R K