House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Repairing A Dining Chair How Do I Get The Nut Out?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/insert-nut-type-e-m6-x-20mm-pack-of-50/43217#

Current nut looks like this.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/insert-nut-type-d-m6-x-13mm-pack-of-50/59937 - this is the replacement I've got.

I have a dining chair that I need to replace something like the above, but looking at the bolt in the chair there doesn't appear to be notch to put a allen key. It just appears round at the top.

So how do I get one of these nuts out if there is no hex key notch?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/insert-nut-type-e-m6-x-20mm-pack-of-50/43217#

Current nut looks like this.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/insert-nut-type-d-m6-x-13mm-pack-of-50/59937 - this is the replacement I've got.

I have a dining chair that I need to replace something like the above, but looking at the bolt in the chair there doesn't appear to be notch to put a allen key. It just appears round at the top.

So how do I get one of these nuts out if there is no hex key notch?

There are two kind of insert nuts - screw in and hammer in. From the photo you have posted you have the hammer in type known as a knock-in nut.

Edt:

It is not supposed to come out. Sorry. Sounds like it needs to be drilled out in some way or, as this sounds fragile, for the wood to be carefully prised or chiselled open around it, the nut removed and then some kind of replacement put into place.

There are two kind of insert nuts - screw in and hammer in. From the photo you have posted you have the hammer in type known as a knock-in nut.

So I just need to hammer it from the opposite side then to get it out?

If you can get it to it to hammer it out that would be the thing to do. You obviously have to be carefull about splitting the wood as these things are meant to be in there forever. Maybe use some linseed oil on the wood and leave for a few days to soften the wood up a bit so that it is less brittle?

But, yes, basically if you can hammer it out that is the way to go. Probably a bit of prising and chiselling as well. Take your time.

You could take the chair to a local engineering bod who could drill it out for you - basically break it up. But there would be the risk of splitting the wood.

I wouldn't drill it myself as I hate bits of metal flying around.

Edit:

Wood merchants might do it. Furniture repairs do this all the time.

Those edgy bits will make it very hard and you'll have more repair to do.

If it is wobblying on that bit then fill it with wood glue and let is set solid.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/joint-connector-bolts-bzp-m6-x-45mm-pack-of-50/64094

http://www.screwfix.com/p/cross-dowel-bolt-m6-x-50mm-pack-of-50/78664

It would be easier if I could find an M6 bolt that fits into the current nut. Can't remember which of the above I've got but the one I have only goes in so far before it becomes stuck and will become cross threaded.

This was my thought, but I think some of it would be left in the wood, but I really can't see another option.

?...

2vamdsw.jpg

In tribute to the v. cr@p things thread, here's a link to the Silverline version

and you'd have to find one small enough, as well as generating a really thick blanket of positive thoughts to protect the surrounding wood

Are you trying to get a nut or a bolt out? the OP describes "but looking at the bolt in the chair there doesn't appear to be notch to put a allen key. It just appears round at the top."

I am confused.

Are you trying to get a nut or a bolt out? the OP describes "but looking at the bolt in the chair there doesn't appear to be notch to put a allen key. It just appears round at the top."

I am confused.

I'm trying to get the nut out that's in the chair as we've lost the original bolt. The replacement bolts won't fit into the original nut. The easiest solution would be to find another bolt that matches the thread in the nut.

If there is no allen key slot then it is the hammer in insert type rather than the screw in type. It needs to be pulled out, but doing so will cause breakout so you need to support the hole - a penny washer or similar should do this. then whilst maintain pressure on the washer against the wood you need a means of pulling out the nut, thread an m6 bolt in (or whatever size it is) and then think of a way of applying force or impacts to the head to gently as possile extract the insert.

You could use a 20mm hole saw and then plug it maybe if it all goes horribly wrong, but it would tend to wander.

Are there any other bolts in the chair?

If so, get one out, measure it and buy another like it.

I don't like bouncy chairs!

Just use a tap and die set to rethread the metal insert to a standard thread. Use plenty of cutting oil to prevent the insert spinning.

You can use Semtex, and then get a new chair!

Good chance of damaging the chair trying to get the nut out.

If you can 'borrow' another bolt from a similar chair, that would be they way to go imo. Use it as a guide to buying identical bolts.

If the nut has some damage, eg cross threaded, you can make a ghetto tap by hacksawing a few slots down the length of a spare bolt. Could really do with a vice for that. Work the tap slowly, half turn in, quarter turn out, minimum torque and take your time.

If you can't get the original out, and you can't find a replacement bolt, how about (and I realise it's a bit Heath Robinson) filling the hole in the nut with the hardest "liquid metal" type epoxy you can find, then drilling it out and threading it to a slightly smaller (known) size?

If you can't get the original out, and you can't find a replacement bolt, how about (and I realise it's a bit Heath Robinson) filling the hole in the nut with the hardest "liquid metal" type epoxy you can find, then drilling it out and threading it to a slightly smaller (known) size?

Yes, this is what I'd probably try, or shoving a matchstick or tiny slither of coke can in there so the replacement bolt has something to grip.

Might also do a quick survey of the other bolts on the chair to see if some are likely to get more use than others in normal use, then switch them around.