House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Blocking Phone Calls On Mobiles

As someone who, rather unusually compared to most people today I will admit, uses his phone as pretty much just a telephone to make/receive telephone calls and text messages (i.e. never use any of the various zillions of others apps/utilities such as camera, email, GPS, Facebook, finding your cat and gawd knows what else, etc)............

Can someone briefly enlighten me as to the limitations in blocking incoming calls from a specified number?

Two things specifically.....

1) what i am interested to know is IF, once blocked, it is still possible for me to get a notification/keep tabs on IF the person is still trying to get through (i.e. will get a record showing 'blocked' call or such like), and

2) Ideally want to perform the block in such a way that the person trying to call will not be able to definitively know/prove that they are being blocked (i.e. they may suspect, but never be able to prove). I would also like to do the block in such a way that the person cannot leave a voicemail message either (but I suspect will not be able to block incoming text messages?)

Will the ability to fulfill any of the above requirements be device dependent or network provider dependent?

I block calls from ALL numbers by switching it off! :blink:

It depends on a combination of the phone's software and the network setup.

I used to have an iPhone 3G, and found some unofficial software to do call blocking. You had the option as to whether the caller would just hear ringing, whether it would go straight to voicemail, or would simply get a "number unavailable" tone. I tested all the options, and they all did exactly what they said on the tin. The only exception was the "number unavailable" option, where the caller would hear 1 ring, and then they'd get the "beep beep beep the the number you have called has not been recognised", so it sounded a bit weird, but could easily be put down to a "network glitch".

My current samsung android phone has call blocking built in, but it just sends the calls straight to voicemail, there is no option to give a custom message or prevent them from leaving a message. The call is listed in your call log as "auto rejected".

Not sure about Android or iOS but Windows Phone allows you to block calls (not sure about texts) from specified numbers. You can also specify 'quiet hours' when only specified groups (e.g. friends and family) will be able to reach you - all other numbers will be blocked during the quiet hours you set (there are some options you can tweak, e.g. allow someone to reach you if they call 3 times within a few minutes and auto reply to blocked calls with a text message).

Not sure whether a blocked caller has any indication that you are blocking them. Voicemail options will be dependent on the network I believe.

Barclays provide 'Kaspersky Mobile Security' free of charge to their customers. With KMS installed, when you receive a call from a new number, you have the option to block it in future, ambulance chasers, PPI pests, and the like only get through once.

I have the ringer turned off on the landline as there is no comparable solution for that.

Landline? I remember those - in fact I used to have one once.

Does anyone still use landline phones rather than just unplugging and using the broadband (I don't even have that).

Thanks all.

Still trying to determine definitively answers myself from random websurfing too.

FWIW, if it helps, the handset in question is a Huawei Y310 and service provider is T-Mobile (called 'EE' now I believe) - am still trying to rummage around their own help service.

As an aside I did also forget to mention/ask on the issue of text messages.....

specifically IF a caller is blocked but they can still send text messages, is there anyway the sender can know IF I have at least opened/read the sent text message (i.e they may well get a confirmation that their message got sent, but can they know IF I read it?).