House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scunnered

New Cambridge Students To Attend Compulsory Sexual Consent Workshops

You'll like this...

As freshers arrive at Cambridge University next month, on their packed timetable of welcome meetings, matriculation photographs, punting trips and city tours there will be one extra date for their diaries.

For the first time in the university's 800-year history, new undergraduates at half of the colleges will be expected to attend compulsory sexual consent workshops.

Each workshop will involve up to 30 students and will last about 30 minutes, the aim being to get freshers talking about the issue of consent, as well as unpicking some of the myths that surround it. Finally, the following description will be read out: "Consent is active and willing participation in sexual activity. It means that both parties had the freedom and capacity to make choice."

Cambridge is not alone in seeing the need to introduce workshops. Oxford is also putting on compulsory sexual consent sessions in 20 of its colleges.

The National Union of Students, which this week published a survey claiming more than a third of female students had been groped or inappropriately touched, is also launching a pilot scheme, offering "I ❤ consent" programmes for 20 further and higher education institutions.

[more...]

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/sep/19/new-cambridge-university-students-attend-compulsory-sexual-consent-workshops

Also in the Independent: Oxford and Cambridge running compulsory sexual consent workshops for freshers.

Rapes are mostly committed by sociopaths. The idea that ordinary men need to be taught about consent is absurd. We know what consent is. Accidental rape is a myth and perpetuating this myth puts people at risk. Men are being demonized and women are being disarmed from those who wish to harm them.

Rapes are mostly committed by sociopaths. The idea that ordinary men need to be taught about consent is absurd. We know what consent is. Accidental rape is a myth and perpetuating this myth puts people at risk. Men are being demonized and women are being disarmed from those who wish to harm them.

Nice bit of irony there. Very clever!

Nice bit of irony there. Very clever!

I do not believe that rapists will be put off their activities by being made to go on a PC box ticking course about consent.

There are more effective ways of dealing with them.

Not much I agree with Alexei Sayle on usually

"Anyone who uses the word workshop outside of light engineering is a tw@t." Alexei Sayle

Not enough to pay £10k a year to study FE they now want to patronise students with this kind of BS?

More students need to start looking at courses abroad.. Get a degree and learn about the world outside our little island of lefty do gooders.

Not enough to pay £10k a year to study FE they now want to patronise students with this kind of BS?

More students need to start looking at courses abroad.. Get a degree and learn about the world outside our little island of lefty do gooders.

Not sure why you'd think making students pay £10k a year is a "lefty do gooder" policy.

Not sure why you'd think making students pay £10k a year is a "lefty do gooder" policy.

Because it's ill-considered and likely to actually result in outcomes at odds with their public rhetoric?

It's the "new left". All the pitfalls and none of the benefits, unless you're part of some designated group of supposed "victims". After all, in lefty world there's a lot of money to be made (and power to be gained) by ensuring there's always a victim rather than a solution.

In this case, there's obviously considerable mileage in implying that all women are likely to be "victims" of men. I would posit that the initial solution is not to get so completely hammered that you have little or no connection with reality. But then, of course, I'd be castigated for blaming the "victim".

Reading my post again I agree that could be inferred.

I meant to explain more succinctly that if people pay £10k p/a for their education out of their own back pocket they should be able expect to get what they pay for.. Not be forced to indulge the current political whim of some do gooding lefty with an over-inflated social conscience.

If British universities decide they can't get past this, the fact that the system is privatised means there is no reason at all not to go to a course anywhere in the world where they actually teach you what you have asked to learn.. not some completely irrelevant and patronising b/s dictated by someone else's agenda.

In this sense privatised education is very much a good thing. Students have the power to vote with their money.. and they should use it.

Better to triple check and walk away rather than a year of limbo and court.

What an awful place we have created

It does make you wonder what they are thinking if a law is so complicated that the most academically gifted students in the country need to have it spoon fed to them.

The obvious answer is an outright ban on sex without prior signed consent being formally notarised by a solicitor. And kissing behind the bike sheds should clearly be completely out.. The schools could have a rape case on their hands!

These are supposed to be adults, admittedly new ones! I didn't get to Cambridge, because I was not "clever enough", but I was clever enough for this sh!t!

This survey showing a third of burds has been touched innapropriately ? Did they bother to ask the same of the blokes or is it just a given we are all rapists so no point in even asking ?

What a ******ed up country this is.

The obvious answer is an outright ban on sex without prior signed consent being formally notarised by a solicitor. And kissing behind the bike sheds should clearly be completely out.. The schools could have a rape case on their hands!

Maybe we're going back to "no sex before marriage" (for all but the lucky few). Marriage just not being for life anymore, apart from in the sense of financial obligations.

I see we're back on the moaning and groaning about how we're all going to have to carry consent forms around to sign before doing the deed. It's health and safety gone mad etc. Back in realityland there are about 100k cases a year in the UK in which a woman self-identifies as having been raped compared to 1k rape convictions. Keeping some perspective by referring to quantitative data might help to keep the imagined scenarios from spiralling out of control on this thread.

I see we're back on the moaning and groaning about how we're all going to have to carry consent forms around to sign before doing the deed. It's health and safety gone mad etc. Back in realityland there are about 100k cases a year in the UK in which a woman self-identifies as having been raped compared to 1k rape convictions. Keeping some perspective by referring to quantitative data might help to keep the imagined scenarios from spiralling out of control on this thread.

whilst your figures may carry some reality, rape is by its nature non consentual.

Going on a course doesnt make it any different.

whilst your figures may carry some reality, rape is by its nature non consentual.

Going on a course doesnt make it any different.

I doubt the course will achieve much, but I can't really see the harm in it either. When I was a fresher in the 2000s they made us go to a half hour sex education lecture where they explained condoms and sexual orientation and things like this, it was all a bit awkward, and then we shuffled out and got on with our lives. I don't remember if there was anything about consent and rape, might well have been.

Somebody with a corporate non-job at the Uni is trying to justify their salary.

Nobody dares object in case they be branded uncaring about rape.

So it goes through on the nod.

At a previous company somebody thought it would be a good idea to send staff on Diversity and Equality training, again nobody spoke against it. So everybody got sent, every two years, and didn't rise to any of the guff the trainer was coming out with because it would be reported back and they would be disciplined. It will only cease when that company mismanages itself into administration, which is sounding likely from what I hear.

Some overreactions here.

The Uni has a duty of care to students, even though they are 18 they are still (often very) young adults, many of whom will not have lived away from home before.

There are some seriously predatory blokes in fresher's week who use the context of plentiful booze to get into as many pairs of pants as possible.

Especially in 'better' unis, many students will have come straight from a single sex educational environment. This is a bit of help. It may seem obvious, but there are a lot of ignorant blokes out there.

Most women experience unwelcome and persistent sexual attention. If this kind of thing makes it clearer that 'no means no', then I am all for it.

Somebody with a corporate non-job at the Uni is trying to justify their salary.

Nobody dares object in case they be branded uncaring about rape.

So it goes through on the nod.

At a previous company somebody thought it would be a good idea to send staff on Diversity and Equality training, again nobody spoke against it. So everybody got sent, every two years, and didn't rise to any of the guff the trainer was coming out with because it would be reported back and they would be disciplined. It will only cease when that company mismanages itself into administration, which is sounding likely from what I hear.

I think the wind is changing on this. I've challenged logic in several training courses, some of them 'new agey' and hasn't harmed my career in various places. You just have to know the right words to use. I find 'non-inclusive of atheists' a cracker.

Some overreactions here.

The Uni has a duty of care to students, even though they are 18 they are still (often very) young adults, many of whom will not have lived away from home before.

There are some seriously predatory blokes in fresher's week who use the context of plentiful booze to get into as many pairs of pants as possible.

Especially in 'better' unis, many students will have come straight from a single sex educational environment. This is a bit of help. It may seem obvious, but there are a lot of ignorant blokes out there.

Most women experience unwelcome and persistent sexual attention. If this kind of thing makes it clearer that 'no means no', then I am all for it.

I agree, it's good to set ground rules for those that have grown up in places where there hasn't been discussion of civilised sexual mores. Rotherham, for example. Or Bradford...or.....you get the drift

Anyway, I suspect that the real offenders will not be inconvenienced by this, only the innocent majority.

I think the wind is changing on this. I've challenged logic in several training courses, some of them 'new agey' and hasn't harmed my career in various places. You just have to know the right words to use. I find 'non-inclusive of atheists' a cracker.

That's really interesting. I'd like to hear more.