House Price Crash Forum

Consensual Incest - How Common Is It?

Ologhai Jones

HOLA441
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I do think the "if it's not actually or at risk of hurting anybody it shouldn't be illegal" rule of thumb is a good one. We shouldn't keep laws on the books that we don't intend to prosecute. Maybe the law on incest should be changed so that if you want to bang your close relatives it's up to you (with rules about age and consent of course) but you must not do it in a way that risks conceiving a child.

can't they just stick to bum-sex instead? :D:D:D

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

If siblings were split up at birth and had no knowledge of each other, do you really think they'd have some sixth sense to be repelled by each other, romantically?

Extremely unlikely, I think those few sibling incest cases that crop up are often this scenario. To be honest, if I suddenly found out Rachel Riley was my long lost half-sister, I reckon I'd still be keen.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/german-ethics-council-calls-for-incest-between-siblings-to-be-legalised-by-government-9753506.html

Germany’s national ethics council has called for an end to the criminalisation of incest between siblings after examining the case of a man who had four children with his sister.

Patrick Stuebing, who was adopted as an infant and met his sister in his 20s, has launched several appeals since being imprisoned for incest in 2008 and his lengthy legal battle has prompted widespread public debate.

Sexual relations between siblings or between parents and their children are forbidden under section 173 of the German criminal code and offenders can face years in prison.

But on Wednesday, the German Ethics Council recommended the section be repealed, arguing that the risk of disability in children is not enough to warrant the law and de-criminalising incest would not remove the huge social taboo around it.

The chairman of the council, Christiane Woopen, was among the 14 members voting in favour of repealing section 173, while nine people voted for the ban to continue and two abstained.

A statement released on Wednesday said: “Incest between siblings appears to be very rare in Western societies according to the available data but those affected describe how difficult their situation is in light of the threat of punishment.

“They feel their fundamental freedoms have been violated and are forced into secrecy or to deny their love.

An interesting move. Although jailing people for essentially being in love does appear ridiculous especially when both are consenting.

HOLA449

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/german-ethics-council-calls-for-incest-between-siblings-to-be-legalised-by-government-9753506.html

An interesting move. Although jailing people for essentially being in love does appear ridiculous especially when both are consenting.

This is the point I was making above, you cannot be pro-gay marriage etc but against incest between consenting adults, unless you are happy to be inconsistent. Fortunately, given it's such a taboo, it appears to be incredibly rare for people to knowingly enter such relationships.

HOLA4410

I did vote No and considered whether I should change it to a 'there have been hints' after writing my post but as it's legal for first cousins to marry (courtesy of Henry V111 I believe) and I don't consider it to be incest I let my vote stand.

I think I probably understood marraige between cousins to not be incestuous from reading the end pages of a bible or hymn book whilst kicking my heels in boredom at a sermon in church as a young child. I could read well from the age of four and do have a memory of this.

Yes, the BCP has, or had, a list of prohibited unions, I remember reading it as a young child also.

The problem with saying incest is ok if you don't have children is that most romantic couples (or the woman in them, at least) DO want children, so there's always going to be potential problems in that area. You've only got to look at some of the inhabitants of Stamford Hill or Golders Green in London to see what happens in 'close knit' communities, and that's caused by cousins marrying, I dread to think what it would be like if siblings did also.

HOLA4411

I would say so for most people, certainly I don't find any of my male cousins sexually attractive. Isn't there something about the familial pheromone hormones being unattractive in terms of intimacy? Seems to have bypassed my cousin though :lol:

I think that's probably true. I had a girlfriend for a while and on paper, we were a 'perfect match' but there was just something about her I didn't like. Eventually we splitup and I realised what I didn't like about her was that she smelt like my sister. :o

HOLA4412

This is the point I was making above, you cannot be pro-gay marriage etc but against incest between consenting adults, unless you are happy to be inconsistent. Fortunately, given it's such a taboo, it appears to be incredibly rare for people to knowingly enter such relationships.

Incest is likely to remain a taboo as there aren't enough people to organise a pressure/victim group to change the law.

Polygamy, IMO, will be the next big battleground due to its popularity with adherents of a certain religion (and I don't mean the Mormons).

This will be an interesting debate, similar to that over 'FGM', because some progressives will dislike the anti-feminist elements of it but will not wish to be seen to be anti-minority.

HOLA4413

Sex between brothers and sisters should be LEGAL, says German government’s Ethics Council
ByAlex Finnis for MailOnline

Published: 19:24, 29 September 2014

Incest laws could be scrapped in Germany after the government's ethics council said sex between brothers and sisters should be legal and is a 'fundamental right'.

The council recommended that the right of 'adult siblings to sexual self-determination' was more important then the 'abstract idea of protection of the family'.

It comes after the case of Patrick Stuebing, who was jailed for more than three years after having four children - two of which are disabled - with his sister Susan Karolewski.

>
>
>
>

Around two to four per cent of Germans have had 'incestuous experiences', according to an estimate by the Max Planck Institute reported by The Telegraph.

Incest is illegal in the UK and most of Europe, though sex between consenting adults who are related is legal in France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Luxembourg and The Netherlands.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2773986/Sex-brothers-sisters-LEGAL-says-German-government-s-Ethics-Council.html#ixzz3EnDggdEC

HOLA4414

"Incest is illegal in the UK and most of Europe, though sex between consenting adults who are related is legal in France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Luxembourg and The Netherlands."

I didn't know this :blink: but it doesn't say how closely related. The fact (DM) it's been written in the article perhaps suggests sibling incest is legal in those countries :o

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29494641

A man in France has married his father's former wife, after a court battle that lasted for months.

The wedding of Eric Holder, 45, and his former stepmother Elisabeth Lorentz, 48, took place in the north-eastern village of Dabo, near the city of Metz.

The ex-husband of the bride, Mr Holder's father, was also reportedly among dozens of guests at the ceremony.

French law bans all unions between stepchildren and stepparents. But a court ruled in the couple's favour.

Archived