House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Consensual Incest - How Common Is It?

Somewhat inspired by the 'How Old Is Too Old...' thread (at least, some of the posts in there), but also (presumably) through a salacious curiosity on my part, I found myself wondering how common consensual incestuous experiences were--I suppose I'd be interested to know how common they are among the general population, but in lieu of that, I guess I'll have to settle for how common they are among the HPC off-topic community...

Please note: I'm NOT referring in any way to paedophilia or under-aged sexual activity, and I would also like to emphasise the word 'consensual' in my poll.

I'm also wondering if this is too sensitive a subject for a poll on a public forum, but... I guess that'll be something else that'd be interesting to find out by how voted upon (or otherwise) it is... :)

Here comes the deletion.....

Not heard of or even suspected in any families I know. From my reading of the media this is more common in isolated, poorer families and I've not known any. Mainly because they're isolated.

The nearest I've come is that I used to live two streets away from Fred & Rose West; though this was five years after their conviction.

In addition, while we're talking about this taboo... Just for general chat (not as a poll), I'd also be interested to hear if people think that incestuous relationships (again, consensual among adults) are always categorically wrong, could sometimes be okay-ish, or may totally okay if no one is harmed (and presumably no children result from the union?) Also, if/how the okay-ness or otherwise depends upon how close the family relation is (siblings? nephews/nieces/aunts/uncles? cousins? Didn't cousins used to be able to marry at one time?)

11 year old at my school confided to a friend he had slept with his sister. You can imagine the stick he got when that got out!

It's off-topic really, but this reminded me when, at pretty much the same age, some git at school randomly started a rumour that I shagged cats. I think most rumours/teasing of this kind fizzle out to nothing, but in this case it stuck and I was a 'cat shagger' for about two years. Hey ho. ;)

It's off-topic really, but this reminded me when, at pretty much the same age, some git at school randomly started a rumour that I shagged cats. I think most rumours/teasing of this kind fizzle out to nothing, but in this case it stuck and I was a 'cat shagger' for about two years. Hey ho. ;)

And to this day you are trying to prove that others are more deviant that you with your cat shagging ways. ;)

I need to change my vote. One of the other posts has jogged a childhood memory. A friend at school reckoned he shagged his sister when they were both around 13. He had no idea it was wrong I think and it sounded like it happened a few times. I don't know if it got out (as I never said anything) -but the family had a lot of problems (kids in and out of care, petty crime etc).

They still can in the UK. Apparently, it's quite common among the Pakistani immigrant community.

I'm pretty sure some distant relatives on my dad's side married cousin-cousin.

And to preempt further questions I am neither Pakistani nor Royalty!

No direct experience though. The OP should probably clarify incestuous.. Brother-sister, cousin-cousin, people from the same Cornish village or just anyone with webbed feet..

[edit to add, well technically I'm probably 1/4 Pakistani.. Though it was officially India at the time (does that make me 1/4 Indian instead?) either way.. The incestuous distant relatives had no middle eastern ties]

No direct experience though. The OP should probably clarify incestuous.. Brother-sister, cousin-cousin, people from the same Cornish village or just anyone with webbed feet..

I suppose I just meant any blood relative really. What other definition is there?

Didn't cousins used to be able to marry at one time?

First cousins can marry in the UK but not double first cousins I believe.

My first cousin has always had a thing for me since we've been quite young. I only saw him about once a year, still do for that matter. He always makes some suggestion that he'd like us to get together, but no way on my part. Not that it's because I considered it incestuous as I've always known first cousins can marry (don't know why, I've just always known) but because I don't find him/it in anyway appealing. Considering there are five boy first cousins that side of the family, all very nice guys perhaps it's an instinctive aversion to an intimate relationship with any of them, the same one would have with brothers.

For work I deal with a minority community in the UK, and I know for certain it happens. They are very open about it.

I suppose you'd have to define whether by 'consensual' you mean in legal terms or in alternative societal terms, however. These particular families would insist that the minors involved are capable of giving consent.

I'm conscious that saying any more will get the thread deleted, however.

In addition, while we're talking about this taboo... Just for general chat (not as a poll), I'd also be interested to hear if people think that incestuous relationships (again, consensual among adults) are always categorically wrong, could sometimes be okay-ish, or may totally okay if no one is harmed (and presumably no children result from the union?) Also, if/how the okay-ness or otherwise depends upon how close the family relation is (siblings? nephews/nieces/aunts/uncles? cousins? Didn't cousins used to be able to marry at one time?)

There was a documentary on TV some years ago on this subject. It was quite tragic really. If I remember rightly there were two couples (brother and sister relationship). One couple had had a child that was taken from them and the guy was jailed I think, but they got back together and had another child on the way that was also going to be taken from them (fuzzy memory on this but I think they were from Scotland). The other brother and sister were together but were making sure children were not a possibility in their relationship. I remember watching the programme and found myself unable to condemn them outright having listened to their stories except with the couple who had had the children, that I can't reconcile.

However, there was also a couple, father and daughter. I don't think the father had ever been involved in the daughters upbringing and they met later on and started an intimate relationship. That I do find very wrong as the father would have been the responsible adult in the relationship and he should not of crossed that line.

What if the participants are of the same sex?

There was a documentary on TV some years ago on this subject.

Yes, I remember that too. The brother and sister were indistinguishable from a regular romantic couple in mannerisms and attitude, but were clearly tortured by their predicament. Impossible not to feel sorry for them IMO.

well on the whole i would say no.

its probably ok to have the hots for your cousin, but look but don't touch.

there are proper genetic reasons why people should not get too closely "intertwined" if you catch my drift.

muslims(and royalty) still have a bit of catching up to do on this front.

for them cousin marriage is common, but you get all sort of handicaps, deformities and genetic hand-me-down ailments thrown into the mix with it.

doesn't mean we should let the state decide who we choose to procreate with though, frankly thats just as dangerous....if we get psycho's in charge of the insemination agencies they will make the rules on their objectives(ie breed more psycho's because that's what they view in their own head as normal)

Yes, I remember that too. The brother and sister were indistinguishable from a regular romantic couple in mannerisms and attitude, but were clearly tortured by their predicament. Impossible not to feel sorry for them IMO.

sort of remember a similar storyline on brookside

she was quite hot though!! :lol:

can you imagine, a few years down the line, we get all these find-your-long-lost relative programmes

sponsored by www.incestry.co.uk

I'm pretty sure some distant relatives on my dad's side married cousin-cousin.

And to preempt further questions I am neither Pakistani nor Royalty!

[edit to add, well technically I'm probably 1/4 Pakistani.. Though it was officially India at the time (does that make me 1/4 Indian instead?) either way.. The incestuous distant relatives had no middle eastern ties]

people from the same cornish

village is practically brother-sister anyway innit?

it's like royston vasey down there!

can you imagine, a few years down the line, we get all these find-your-long-lost relative programmes

sponsored by www.incestry.co.uk

You jest, but in Iceland there is a mobile app so the Icelanders out on the town can check that they are not too closely related to the person they are trying to hump.

Iceland has a small population, and extensive genealogical records.