House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

Euro 2020

I am unsure if I understand the Euro 2020 football tournament structure . The tournament appears to be spread over multiple European countries rather than one or two host nations. London seems to have secured the final.

All a result of expanding the tournament to 24 teams, now only the big 5 have the capability of hosting a tournament by themselves.

60th Anniversary I believe. 6/7 host countries including the Bohemian hotspot that is Azerbaijan.

Sounds like a clusterf*ck in waiting to me :)

The suggestion is after some political manoeuvring Germany will host the following one before the entire tournament comes back to blighty in '28.

P

+1

its supposed to make us feel all one happy european family.

after the scottish independence vote and a few frenchmen still hankering after the "auld alliance" I think happy families has gone right out of the window.

perfidious albion strikes back.

as for germany saying "we are tolerated", but not loved in europe.

ok fine with that.

you need us, but don't want us....ok. we don't have a hankering to be mr popular,we have a hankering to be mr right.

sometimes we have to dish out a bit of tough love and some cutting remarks, be prepared to rock the boat and tell people what they NEED to hear, not what they WANT to hear.

we're leaving now anyway.

how messy do you want the divorce to be?

we'll be back in a week or so to pick up the rest of what's rightfully ours.

its supposed to make us feel all one happy european family.

Yup.

In 2020, Europe will play Europe in both semi-finals. The winners of the semi-finals will play Europe.

The runners-up will get a consolation prize so they won't feel left out.

So some games will be in the UK and some in Russia? That is a vast distance and takes away all the fun of visiting one country and each tournament have its own distinct identity.

Perhaps no one country wants to economically host the games.

Guest eight

Yup.

In 2020, Europe will play Europe in both semi-finals.

I agree. Can't see Twisted Sister or Queensryche making it through the group stages.

So some games will be in the UK and some in Russia? That is a vast distance and takes away all the fun of visiting one country and each tournament have its own distinct identity.

Perhaps no one country wants to economically host the games.

It will help to boost GDP more, just think instead of visiting a single country you now have to organise visiting several. It's a great way to get people spending money.

Yup.

In 2020, Europe will play Europe in both semi-finals. The winners of the semi-finals will play Europe.

The runners-up will get a consolation prize so they won't feel left out.

rangers v celtic scottish premiership 2016 will be much more fun to watch!!! :rolleyes:

proper grudge match in the making there

(why do i have this feeling that it'll go a bit "millwall" :o )

Russia got 4 games too.

Anyway, it's good for the competition to have a neutral venue for the semi finals and final.

I have my doubts as to whether the next 2 world cups will be held with all the world taking part. There is almost bound to be some boycott action taken place (Quatar then Russia). What that will mean for the Euro championships, I don't pretend to guess.