House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustYield

Nothing

I don't understand nothing. I'm not speaking like a footballer, I really don't comprehend nothing and nothingness.

Can someone please help to enlighten me?

There isn't such a thing as we would understand it?

We have linear dimensions and move forward through time, we exist in something and we are something.

We understand many aspects of something but nothing has nothing to understand; it's the absence of anything including the frame of reference.

Alternatively think of Halifax at 5am on any Tuesday in February.

A multi dimensional space that lacks any energy.

No colour, no light, no matter, no kinetic energy etc.

And this can be found inside atoms and in outer space? Is most of the volume of stuff nothing?

I think I tend towards the view that there's no such thing as Nothing.

Even if the entity that we refer to as 'the universe' began in a Big Bang, which physicists seem often to treat as being an event that caused the creation of everything we perceive (and other stuff besides) from 'nothing', it seems to me that Everything (being the totality of everything, not just 'the universe') must be infinite in some extent or sense.

Even if our universe began as something spontaneously appearing from relative nothingness, it seems incoherent to consider that a 'place' (for the want of a better word) where there is the potential for the beginning of a universe like ours could be considered to be complete and total nothingness. There is also an infinite regress here. The beginning of one 'phase' (such as our universe's beginning), needs to take place within the context of some kind of environment or set of physical laws that would permit such a beginning, ad infinitum.

So... it may be simply a lack of imagination on my part (and I could probably make a start on saying in what ways my imagination is deficient, along with an example), but perhaps there can't be Nothing.

I haven't thought about it in a while, so thanks for giving me a reason (and a nudge) to review my opinion.

Nothing needs to be taken in context. So in the context of this thread, that wasn't nothing, it was an insightful contribution.

But in the context of the mechanics of posting to the HPC boards, you got it!

Only if it's the funny version before it all got too worthy and she packed it in to do that Childline project.

nah, that was Ransom, not Ether.

I can't comprehend 'nothing', same as I can't comprehend infinity, i.e. space just going on and on and on for ever - you never come to the end of it or hit a brick wall, and even if you did, what would be on the other side of it? 'Nothing'?

Everything we are familiar with is finite - land, sea, lives, journeys, will-it-never-end waffling wedding speeches like some we had to sit through recently - everything. But there is always something else at the end, or on the other side.

Mr B tells me he has no problem with either. Not sure whether he is fibbing.

And this can be found inside atoms and in outer space? Is most of the volume of stuff nothing?

No, it's about 77 decibals.

Newtonian mechanics has a rather troublesome singularity at r = 0.

Points have no size, lines have no width, planes have no depth...

And even velocity (ds/dt) is problematic if the only time is Now.

Bloody hell those Greeks were smart and Parmenides was one smart Greek.

And I had never heard of him before today, thank you.

I grew up firmly in the grip of the school of thought that all philosophers were BS artists / sophists and that classics, like philosophy, were a soft option for people who wanted to stay in school for as long as possible but who couldn't do sums.

I'm now more inclined to think that the classical Greeks had pretty much sussed the key questions of existence and human interaction and we've spent the following 2,500 years repeatedly forgetting and rediscovering them.

and fwiw clever clogs that they were the Greek city states still managed to effectively weaken each other to a point of terminal vulnerability for what seems to have been no good reason at all

He also had a firm grasp of thermodynamic measurement, K.

but it was a fawlty theory.

I don't understand nothing. I'm not speaking like a footballer, I really don't comprehend nothing and nothingness.

Can someone please help to enlighten me?

With my armchair physicists hat on, vacuum must be something.. we just don't know what it is yet.

A bit like our ancestors probably though air was nothing.

If light can travel in a vacuum.. surely it has to be some kind of medium even if it isn't immediately obvious/quantifiable?

With my armchair physicists hat on, vacuum must be something.. we just don't know what it is yet.

A bit like our ancestors probably though air was nothing.

If light can travel in a vacuum.. surely it has to be some kind of medium even if it isn't immediately obvious/quantifiable?

that would be the Ether!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aether_theories