House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

long time lurking

I.t Help

Hi it looks like some dodgy software has disabled /stop me for making searches with any search engines it`s all ok if i type in the full address or go from a link such as www.housepricecrash.co.uk but if i type any other term i get the following message

The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

Or this from Firefox

www.google.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate will not be valid until 27/08/2014 12:40. The current time is 02/10/2013 00:21. (Error code: sec_error_expired_certificate)

At a guess it looks like the time setting has been changed on my computer looking a the fire fox mesage so the question is how do i reset this

Thanks in advance

P.S it will have to be an idiots guide

I'm sure the BIOS and the OS use the same system clock. ChumpusRex's advice was fine.

No, You can have the Windows OS clock/date time wrong because the BIOS clock/date timer is wrong.

When you change the Windows clock/date timer if the BIOS clock/date timer is the actual problem when you then reboot your PC the Windows clock will reset itself to whatever the time and date of the BIOS is.

Yep advice was all good, found out what caused the problem by reading the dodgy instructions that came with the dodgy software , thanks to everyone for the replies though, was in a bit of a fluster for a while never thought it might be someting as simple as changing the time displayed on the monitor in fact i never even looked to see if it was wrong

BIOS time /date that was what i as worried about ,did not know what it was called but could remember something about an "internal" date/time setting on the hard drive thats when i started to flap as i would not have a clue how to do that with out the help of Google

No, You can have the Windows OS clock/date time wrong because the BIOS clock/date timer is wrong.

When you change the Windows clock/date timer if the BIOS clock/date timer is the actual problem when you then reboot your PC the Windows clock will reset itself to whatever the time and date of the BIOS is.

No, there is just one system time, stored by the BIOS. When you change the time in windows, you change the system time. However, the time displayed by Windows will differ from the system time if the timezone setting is not UTC/GMT.

There are two reasons why the system time may change after a reboot:

1) Your CMOS battery is on the way out and can no longer maintain the correct time while your computer is off.

2) On booting, your computer is automatically resetting its system time to the time given by a network time server.

If it goes wrong again tomorrow, you will need to change the BIOS battery...in a PC its usually a CR2032