House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Nobody Panic, But Astronomers Just Found A 'super Massive' Black Hole

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/nobody-panic-but-astronomers-just-found-a-super-massive-black-hole--eJB0lkepVl

30639-1lmw3q7.jpg
(Picture: Nasa/ESA/Hubble)

Astronomers have just discovered a super massive black hole - the largest type - at the centre of the M60-UCD1 galaxy.

It was found at the heart of the compact dwarf galaxy - about 1/500th the size of the Milky Way - 50 million light years from Earth. The black hole is thought to weigh as much as 21 million times the weight of our own sun.

An amazing picture.

Nearly as big as the blackhole in the global banking system.

Seriously, that picture is genuine.

Couldn't they put a ruler or a box of matches alongside it so we get some sense of scale.

It looks fecking enormous with all those stars and galaxies around it but, obviously, we have no idea of how close or how far they are from it. They could be billions of light years away.

OK, who is going to be the first to say it? Is that Gallifrey?

Ah, if you follow the link above someone has kindly commented that the photo is in fact an artist's impression.

Worth pointing out that this is not actually a photo of the black hole as is implied by the caption (Picture: Nasa/ESA/Hubble) but in fact an artist's impression.

Ah, if you follow the link above someone has kindly commented that the photo is in fact an artist's impression.

Worth pointing out that this is not actually a photo of the black hole as is implied by the caption (Picture: Nasa/ESA/Hubble) but in fact an artist's impression.

Now I'm just pissed off.

Couldn't they put a ruler or a box of matches alongside it so we get some sense of scale.

It looks fecking enormous with all those stars and galaxies around it but, obviously, we have no idea of how close or how far they are from it. They could be billions of light years away.

sure someone didn't just throw a bit of glitter in the bathtub,pull the plug out and put a bit of funky UV lighting in????

what's on the other side of the vortex?

probably mutant spider thingies that like crawling up into the bathtub.

Me too - shall we launch a jihad on artists who photoshop black holes?

I'm already packing my thick box frame deep cover decoy glasses. They have no lenses and are made of Semtex.

Im sure when the DM gets round to covering it they'll measure it in 'XX double decker buses stacked on top of one another'

Artists impression. :lol: It appears that the 'artist' has spent literally minutes on MS Paint creating a circle which is undoubtedly black, super and massive.

I love the term 'super massive black hole'. It's as if 'massive black hole' didn't quite describe it's vastness when they were first discovered.

I'm currently scanning the skies for any signs of a frickin' mega super-duper blacker hole.

Interesting. Now if we look at the direction of the whirls as the stars are sucked into the black plughole - clockwise or anti- clockwise, we'll be able to get our bearings.

1083347_raspberry_swirl.jpg

Looks kinda like the universe is one gigantic raspberry swirl to me Captain.

so, a black hole isnt black at all. it is the brightest, whitest object there is.

Should be easy to spot in the middle of the galaxy then.

so, a black hole isnt black at all. it is the brightest, whitest object there is.

Should be easy to spot in the middle of the galaxy then.

Looks like a big fairy light!

Artists impression. :lol: It appears that the 'artist' has spent literally minutes on MS Paint creating a circle which is undoubtedly black, super and massive.

It looks consistent with most models I've seen of a large gravitational distortion against a background of stars.

I love the term 'super massive black hole'. It's as if 'massive black hole' didn't quite describe it's vastness when they were first discovered.

I'm currently scanning the skies for any signs of a frickin' mega super-duper blacker hole.

All black holes are massive. There are stellar-magnitude black holes (the remains of individual stars) and the much bigger ones (by a few orders of magnitude) in the centre of galaxies, like this one, hence super massive.