House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

uptherebels

Calories!

Right.....there must be some on here who are good at this sort of thing!

I gave up smoking in April this year. I was determined not to put on weight, so at the same time, I gave up cakes, biscuits, bread and so on. Now, since then, my weight has gone from 82kg to 91kg. This has to stop!

A typical day is one of those porridge pot thingies with water (about 200kal I think). Lunch is either a small tin of beans, or tin of tuna, with five or six crackers or oatcakes. Evening is microwave ready meal, anything from 375 to 675 kcal. The only other food I have is snacking on fruit, usually fresh, sometimes dried. I work away from home all week, and have no access to a fridge or cooker. I don't drink alcohol at all. I work in a pretty active job, lot of lifting. I usually do 10 to 12 hour days. In the evening (during the light evenings over the last few months) I have been out for a very fast walk of about two and a half miles.

Where am I going wrong, and how can I get the weight back off? I don't think my intake is too high, certainly not when compared to some of the people I work with.

Any help appreciated!

edit. I am 54 and six foot one.

Google paleo diet. Or at least gluten free diet.

Then "porridge spikes blood sugar higher than pure sugar"

Dried fruit is very high sugar too.

Snack on biltong, jerky, mini salami things, boiled eggs, a few nuts (I go crazy with them so don't bother buying them now)

Google paleo diet. Or at least gluten free diet.

Then "porridge spikes blood sugar higher than pure sugar"

Dried fruit is very high sugar too.

Snack on biltong, jerky, mini salami things, boiled eggs, a few nuts (I go crazy with them so don't bother buying them now)

I see what you mean about the fruit, but I would have thought that my diet was pretty much gluten free now? My wife is GF, so when at home at the weekends, I pretty much have the same as her.

Crackers will have gluten and I expect it's hidden in the microwave meals too.

Of course it might not affect you too much - if I eat it now, I get bad hayfever and the trots.

Yeah, it's not actually that bad at all. I don't think you're eating anywhere near enough protein though, for an active big guy. Cutting carbs will make you lose a load of water weight too, for a fairly fast morale boost/incentive.

The last time I recall seeing this discussed on OT contributors fell into roughly one of two camps...

1. If you want to lose weight eat fewer calories and/or exercise more, simples. There weren't many fat people in Belsen were there?

ergo you must have started sneaking in a few daily Mars Bars since packing up the tabs and are in some form of denial

2. Your metabolism, calorie expenditure and fat retention are affected by the kind of foods you eat, as well as total calorie intake.

You might find Gary Taubes book(s) of interest. If you can't be @rsed with that, here are the highlights...

btw In trials, calorie restricted rats actually gain weight; their body temperature and other functions are reduced and fat is accumulated, presumably because their bodies are gearing up for a famine situation.

Men talking about calories and slimming.

Fückìn' hilarious.

The oestrogen pissed into the sea by women since the pill was invented sure has fuçked up you lot...

XYY

Men talking about calories and slimming.

Fückìn' hilarious.

The oestrogen pissed into the sea by women since the pill was invented sure has fuçked up you lot...XYY

No chance of asking you for skin moisturizer tips then

Edit: though, on second thoughts, I'm guessing you might have one or two suggestions

Replace the dried fruit with nuts, more calories but very slowly released as nuts are mostly fat and proteins (and fiber).

Just make sure you eat plain raw unsalted nuts as the roasted and/or salty ones are less healthy and will induce you to eat more of them than you need.

IT is a well known feature of giving up smoking. Basically your gut is absorbing more. A lot of people assume the effect is down to eating and drinking as a substitute for fags, but your experience shows the other side, that it actually improves changes gut performance. EDIT: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130829093032.htm

I would also add when I went on the 5:2 diet I actually gained weight. Again it is quite a common outcome I believe and some will tell you (and it could be true in cases) it is down to 'putting your body into starvation mode'. But for me, not to be too graphic, my guts felt like they improved (they had never been quite the same since I had really bad food poisoning from a Wetherspoons I suspect).

I have now returned to more of a normal regular eating routine but have gone back to the gym (after a two year injury following an issue of quasi bare foot running) and the weight is slowly coming off. In terms of losing weight, I look around the gym to see who are the thinnest and you'll always find it to be the runners. So take up running a couple of half hours a week is my humble suggestion.

However, if this story is a 'gut performance' and gut flora issue as I suspect, I guess there may be some hints out there as to how to ensure your gut flora balance is in a healthy mix and take it from there. If you find anything let me know. http://chriskresser.com/a-healthy-gut-is-the-hidden-key-to-weight-loss

(EDIT: by the way - just read some research saying pro biotics don't make it thru your stomach alive...unless taken in liquid form 15 mins. before eating e.g. symprove http://www.nutricentre.com/p-51927-symprove-original.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAjwqO-gBRCEyp2Fufm0lBASJAAZrX-5nvmxxtFh8fB9KuFCB7snrgl9vM2Vss0-dpeuXaQjaxoCUhrw_wcB)

Mo-Farah-014.jpg

That pic proves nothing. They're runners because they're genetically programmed not to gain weight.

That pic proves nothing. They're runners because they're genetically programmed not to gain weight.

Eh ?

I gave up smoking in April this year. I was determined not to put on weight, so at the same time, I gave up cakes, biscuits, bread and so on. Now, since then, my weight has gone from 82kg to 91kg. This has to stop!

A typical day is one of those porridge pot thingies with water (about 200kal I think). Lunch is either a small tin of beans, or tin of tuna, with five or six crackers or oatcakes. Evening is microwave ready meal, anything from 375 to 675 kcal. The only other food I have is snacking on fruit, usually fresh, sometimes dried. I work away from home all week, and have no access to a fridge or cooker. I don't drink alcohol at all. I work in a pretty active job, lot of lifting. I usually do 10 to 12 hour days. In the evening (during the light evenings over the last few months) I have been out for a very fast walk of about two and a half miles.

Where am I going wrong, and how can I get the weight back off? I don't think my intake is too high, certainly not when compared to some of the people I work with.

Any help appreciated!

edit. I am 54 and six foot one.

Well done for quitting the weed.....it is a well known fact that smoking suppresses the appetite, it also sees that you are using your hands and mouth to do another activity apart from eating....

What people also fail to consider is as we grow older we naturally require less calories to maintain the same weight.....so giving up smoking, growing older, moving less will mean gaining weight.

The best way to look at this is to accept that a slight gain in weight but no more may be part of the process....but keep eating well and healthy and see that you move more now than you have before to counterbalance your bodies changes. ;)

I found the same when I gave up smoking. I would mostly echo what has already been suggested, eat plenty of eggs, nuts and honey, go running (brisk 5k) a couple of times a week.

I get sick a lot less often and less severely now. Could be due to not smoking, better diet or more exercise, but I expect it's a combination of all three.

Not eating enough makes your body store fat.

2000 calories a day for blokes minimum.

Sarah is right, get back on the sauce!

Over 50 and pretty sedentary here. To keep weight off, I have to dodge most eating opportunities. During the day it's no breakfast, just tea/coffee/fruit and one substantial meal in the evening; more than that and I gradually gain blubber.

Might be different if I were a ditch-digger rather than a code-monkey.
I prefer being lean to indulging myself on food.

IT is a well known feature of giving up smoking. Basically your gut is absorbing more. A lot of people assume the effect is down to eating and drinking as a substitute for fags, but your experience shows the other side, that it actually improves changes gut performance. EDIT: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130829093032.htm

/snip

ABC did a couple of programmes recently on gut bacteria, the first...

Interestingly, and anecdotally, at the very end there's a fit guy who eats any old crap but who works out a lot who discovers his body's developing insulin resistance. He changes his diet away from processed carbs in part 2 and the viewer is on the edge of their seat waiting to see if his blood chemistry improves and ... gosh, it does.