House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Austin Allegro

Article On The Wilsons

Back in the news!

Millionaire landlords Fergus and Judith Wilson begin evicting large families

Kent tycoons, also banning those on zero-hours contracts, insist they have no choice – but housing empire known to be for sale

Britain’s most controversial landlords, Fergus and Judith Wilson, whose property empire extends to nearly 1,000 homes in Kent, have begun evicting families with more than two children, banned tenants on zero-hours contracts and thrown out extended families where the grandmother comes to stay.

Interesting.

Our big local landlord has failed to sell any of his four that were put up about 9 months ago. They'd had an offer (pro landlord) to buy 2 of them but the bank apparently said no. They're all back on for 125k. Which is interesting as one of them was reduced to 90k very recently. I assume they don't want to sell for less than he paid. But he was unfortunately for them the local market for a long time. Which means he was outbidding anyone else.

Last time he tried to sell he emptied out tenants and then let the house empty for ages.

Lessons for the banks?
Don't let BTL be the market if you ever want your money back.

Edited by SarahBell

He talks a good one, I'll give him that. Maybe there really is no such thing as bad publicity. Always makes sure that the selling of the portfolio gets a mention.

Still hasn't sold it though. :lol:

sensationalist reporting?

so Fergus says

- if the tenants move in children and granny later on, that is a breach of the tenancy (which presumably names the people that are going to be living there when it is signed and any change is, therefore, significant)

- if the would be tenant has no guaranteed income (e.g. a 0 hours contract), he can't get rental guarantee insurance and as he isn't prepared to shoulder the risk himself, they don't get offered a tenancy

and that overall, demand from good tenants outstrips supply

“I asked my agents to let me know how many calls were received from would-be tenants yesterday? Answer: 81. How many were from east European or overseas? 71. How many had children? 15. How many were on zero contacts? Nil. How many on housing benefit? Seven. How many houses available? Three.”

sensationalist reporting?

so Fergus says

- if the tenants move in children and granny later on, that is a breach of the tenancy (which presumably names the people that are going to be living there when it is signed and any change is, therefore, significant)

- if the would be tenant has no guaranteed income (e.g. a 0 hours contract), he can't get rental guarantee insurance and as he isn't prepared to shoulder the risk himself, they don't get offered a tenancy

and that overall, demand from good tenants outstrips supply

“I asked my agents to let me know how many calls were received from would-be tenants yesterday? Answer: 81. How many were from east European or overseas? 71. How many had children? 15. How many were on zero contacts? Nil. How many on housing benefit? Seven. How many houses available? Three.”

You're supposed to be able to have who you want living in your tenancy - the same as if you own a house - the landlord gives up his control when he takes your rent.

The fact that dare not be spoken.

The political love affair with BTL entrenched in the political love affair with displacing UK resisdents and workers with foreign labour.

To enable millions an entry into the country, millions had to be forced out economically from the existing housing stock.

Back in the news!

Millionaire landlords Fergus and Judith Wilson begin evicting large families

Kent tycoons, also banning those on zero-hours contracts, insist they have no choice – but housing empire known to be for sale

Britain’s most controversial landlords, Fergus and Judith Wilson, whose property empire extends to nearly 1,000 homes in Kent, have begun evicting families with more than two children, banned tenants on zero-hours contracts and thrown out extended families where the grandmother comes to stay.

So, they are basically not taking anyone anymore - nobody in receipt of housing benefit, no single mums, no Eastern Europeans (because children magically appear), nobody on zero hours contracts. Is there really that much demand in Ashford from people who receive no benefits and have enough income to pay for these *****s mortgages. I bet they're not even allowed to put a nail in the wall to hang a picture.

Interesting.

Our big local landlord has failed to sell any of his four that were put up about 9 months ago. They'd had an offer (pro landlord) to buy 2 of them but the bank apparently said no. They're all back on for 125k. Which is interesting as one of them was reduced to 90k very recently. I assume they don't want to sell for less than he paid. But he was unfortunately for them the local market for a long time. Which means he was outbidding anyone else.

Last time he tried to sell he emptied out tenants and then let the house empty for ages.

Lessons for the banks?

Don't let BTL be the market if you ever want your money back.

How did they manage to get so many BTL properties?....I thought there was a strict limit to how many an individual could purchase with IO debt. ;)

Edit: Going by that article, your quality BTL is only worth as much as the quality of your tenants it holds. :wacko:

Edited by winkie

You're supposed to be able to have who you want living in your tenancy - the same as if you own a house - the landlord gives up his control when he takes your rent.

Not so

Even in the most recent model agreement for a shorthold assured tenancy (published by the Dept for Communities and Local Goernment in Sep 2014) there are specific clauses to ensure that only people named on the tenancy agreement should live at the rented property unless the landlord agrees to a variation.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/model-agreement-for-a-shorthold-assured-tenancy

2 OTHER OCCUPIERS 2.1 The Landlord agrees that, in addition to the Tenant, the following person(s) (who for the avoidance of doubt are not tenant(s)) may live at the Property:

(a) the Tenant’s children or other dependants who are under 18 years of age at the start of the Tenancy; and

(B) the following adults (if any):

Adult 1 (insert name)

Adult 2 (insert name)

Referred to in this agreement as “Members of the Tenant’s Household”.

2.2 The Tenant must not allow any other adults to live at the property without the written consent of the Landlord which must not be unreasonably withheld or delayed. 2.3 The Tenant must ensure that not more than (insert number) persons live at the Property. 2.4 Any obligation on the Tenant under this agreement to do or not to do anything shall also require the Tenant not to permit or allow any Member of the Tenant’s Household or visitor to do or not to do the same thing.

Trying to drum up some enquiries again, its the only reason those clowns court publicity. Not selling, surprise to no-one but them.

The hate filled views are to help secure some column inches, its all about online views for the newspapers, they seek out controversy to publish.

They ought to be concerned about their personal safety however, they are likely housing some vulnerable people for whom these odious goons attitude might be the final straw. Would not surprise me at all the hear one or both of them were beaten, potentially killed.

Wilsons. Meet the Wilsons.

They're a modern feudal family.

From the town of Ashford,

They're a page right out of slavery.

Let's evict the family down the street,

Through the courts and Fergus ugly tweed.

When you're with the Wilsons

You'll have a yabba dabba doo time,

A dabba doo time,

You'll have a gay old time!

If he had an actual buyer he wouldn't be making a song and dance about the whole deal. My guess is that he has people who would quite like to buy but who balk at the idea of conveyancing 900 individual freeholds. Of course he can't move them into a limited company structure without paying all the legal fees and capital gains tax up front, so he's stuck.

If he had an actual buyer he wouldn't be making a song and dance about the whole deal. My guess is that he has people who would quite like to buy but who balk at the idea of conveyancing 900 individual freeholds. but don't have a pot to p1ss in and have fallen for his ill thought out 'get rich scheme' scheme.

Edited by spyguy

How did they manage to get so many BTL properties?....I thought there was a strict limit to how many an individual could purchase with IO debt. ;)

Edit: Going by that article, your quality BTL is only worth as much as the quality of your tenants it holds. :wacko:

By just keeping buying! He owns(owned maybe) businesses and industrial units. His residential holdings just kept going.

As he paid more for each one on the same street then he was effectively increasing the 'equity' of his holdings...

By just keeping buying! He owns(owned maybe) businesses and industrial units. His residential holdings just kept going.

As he paid more for each one on the same street then he was effectively increasing the 'equity' of his holdings...

Lenders normally will only allow a person to borrow against a certain number of BTLs say four to ten depending.......hovered up a high percentage of property in a relatively small area, don't know how unless was an obsolete lender or low loan to value.....goes to show rode the market up, will have to ride the market down.......swings and roundabouts...unintended consequences.

... oh wait old Fergus always prefers Eastern Europeans .... Total scum and what do the governments of both sides do; nothing bar the BTL tax breaks.

He has gone off East Europeans now, as they slip in half a dozen kids weeks after signing contracts...he`s running out of tenants that fit his criteria.

Lenders normally will only allow a person to borrow against a certain number of BTLs say four to ten depending.......hovered up a high percentage of property in a relatively small area, don't know how unless was an obsolete lender or low loan to value.....goes to show rode the market up, will have to ride the market down.......swings and roundabouts...unintended consequences.

Normally?

What was the Yorkshire bank doing about ten years ago? That's when he was at his peak buying, he finished buying in aout 2008 I think. Not sure why he stopped.. Oh wait, did something happen then?