House Price Crash Forum

I Predict A Yes Vote 53:47

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how the outcome would be if postal votes were disregarded... :ph34r:

Is there any statistic anywhere showing postal vote results and polling station vote results separately?

Were electronic polling machines used in some or all locations or was it traditional paper ballots?

Edited by The Eagle

I wonder how the outcome would be if postal votes were disregarded... :ph34r:

Is there any statistic anywhere showing postal vote results and polling station vote results separately?

Were electronic polling machines used in some or all locations or was it traditional paper ballots?

No electronic voting machines are used anywhere in the UK.

The results were in line with opinion polls and the bookies.

PS - after being received, postal ballots are opened and 'verified,' then locked in a cupboard and mixed in with all the other votes on the night of the count. They are not counted separately.

Edited by 1929crash

How very convenient... :ph34r:

What would you do? I would like to see the postal vote on demand system abolished and a return to postal voting only for sickness and absence reasons, as was the case prior to 2000.

But don't forget that the Scots themselves controlled the ballot and the laws governing it.

onlyme2, on 19 Sept 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

The no's get to live with the same shit, the yes's even more pissed off with the situation.

Quite. I suspect there'll be a bit of 'oh you never mentioned that with devo max comes extra english devolution, which results in a net loss of actual financial, resource and political benefit'. Idiots. Understandable, but still idiots because now the 45% and probably the rest of Scotland gets bent over like the rest of us because clearly fear works.

Quite. I suspect there'll be a bit of 'oh you never mentioned that with devo max comes extra english devolution, which results in a net loss of actual financial, resource and political benefit'. Idiots. Understandable, but still idiots because now the 45% and probably the rest of Scotland gets bent over like the rest of us because clearly fear works.

This. 45% isn't a negotiating position. What's Salmond going to do when he's told to f&ck off? Call a referendum?

Now this utter farce is concluded, the media can go back to publishing articles about how Putin is worse than Stalin/Ebola/ISIS/Hitler etc etc.

One thing that hasn't been given much prominence is this: John Kerry has accused Syria of breaking the Chemical Weapons Agreement by gassing his own people with chlorine.

http://news.antiwar.com/2014/09/18/kerry-accuses-syria-of-violating-chemical-arms-treaty/

This. 45% isn't a negotiating position. What's Salmond going to do when he's told to f&ck off? Call a referendum?

The whole thing has been woeful, including the yes camp with its nottogether-forever campaign. Obviously nobody plays chicken in Scotland because they just lost. Scotland had to vote yes because they held all the cards and could fundamentally backtrack on whatever they wanted with only the loss of face. By voting no, the incentive of Westminster to negotiate on fair terms is gone and they can fundamentally backtrack with loss of nothing because governments and politicians change. I get the impression a lot of No votes were cast on the basis of maintaining the status quo, but the referendum itself upended that. The difference is now London gets to mould the change instead of Scots.

The whole thing has been woeful, including the yes camp with its nottogether-forever campaign. Obviously nobody plays chicken in Scotland because they just lost. Scotland had to vote yes because they held all the cards and could fundamentally backtrack on whatever they wanted with only the loss of face. By voting no, the incentive of Westminster to negotiate on fair terms is gone and they can fundamentally backtrack with loss of nothing because governments and politicians change. I get the impression a lot of No votes were cast on the basis of maintaining the status quo, but the referendum itself upended that. The difference is now London gets to mould the change instead of Scots.

There were many strange features to the vote: the wording, the inclusion of under 18's, inclusion of immigrants, exclusion of scots outside the country, no hurdle %age.

There were many strange features to the vote: the wording, the inclusion of under 18's, inclusion of immigrants, exclusion of scots outside the country, no hurdle %age.

It seemed to be a reflection of how strange the UK has become over recent decades - compared to previously at any rate.

Edited by billybong

Westminster

- f*cking over peasants revolts since Wat Tyler.

Alex Salmond was allowed to choose the wording, the timing and the regulations around who was allowed to vote.

Edited by 1929crash