House Price Crash Forum

I Predict A Yes Vote 53:47

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that's what I recall.

I wonder what's going to happen in england, the most densely populated area of the uk, if polls show that ukip is gaining support?

A replay of the scottish referendum with stereotyping the upstarts? It'll be a step up from 5? million people to 65? million people.

..yes ..but as they quoted the previous election results before the current referendum prior to the vote, UKIP were running level with the Tories in many of the seats in Scotland....what does that say about the one guarantee in everyone's life...change..... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

Morning scottish bitches, meet your newly confirmed owners / steerers / controllers, same as the old ones.

Scottish referendum results: Banks fail to give guarantees on retaining offices

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/scottish-referendum-results-banks-fail-to-give-guarantees-on-retaining-offices-9745217.html

Bank sources said there was no way they could give any guarantees when they do not know how much tax-raising power and regulatory influence devo max could give the Scottish parliament. “What if a future Scottish parliament under a new leadership decides it wants to raise corporation tax? We just can’t commit until we know whether or not they will be given such powers,” one executive told The Independent

Edited by onlyme2

we're not cheering the establishment at all.

the scots had their independence debacle becasue they feel alienated from being governed remotely from somewhere they feel is culturally different to them.

so in no way are we sucking up to the establishment..the message to them is actually quite clear...quit the sanctimonious "we know what's best for you" claptrap.

not dissimilar to the way we feel about the EU..too top-down.

if we are grown up about it, we all need to do a bit of soul-searching and stop trying to stitch each other up..sheer spite would say now the english should have a referendum on whether scotland should stay in the union or be ejected.

best suggestion for ALL of the UK now is to use something similar to US constitution to govern what states can do and what the union,as an umbrella of delegates from above states can do.

and put THE PEOPLE as the main arbitrators, not some smoke-filled closet in brussels.

that much I think we can get basic agreement on.

Big change is coming, like it or not.

Oracle, I tried to find one of your posts that mentioned predictions (I know there are a lot!) but this was a recent one, it mentioned Seer somebody or other. Could you point me to the post/person? BTW reading some of your past postings was very enjoyable, very funny and insightful.

yeah, i have been....also got as wide as 7.2 on the YES vote being between 50-55%...seem amazing odds to me, I feel the pollsters are underestimating some element of the vote...across Facebook polls it's crazy biased to Yes, like 70-90% usually...though obv skewed to the younger voter base and missing out the older votes where No is more likely...but even so...market seems way too con fident on the 52-48% polls that have been coming in. Am pretty large on this trade but thinking of getting bigger !!

Thanks to this thread, I decided to put a bet on.

I felt that the "don't knows" were the key to this - there were so many, so close to the election, I thought that they were mostly likely to vote "No" on the day.

I got 11-4 on the "No" vote being >55.0% and it came in, just.

I wonder if an opinion poll were conducted today to ask people how they voted, what the result would be.

Seems those on benefits were the ones more likely to vote yes. Did they really believe that an independent country of 5 million people could afford to give them more in the way of benefits?

Less to do with benefits....more to do with hope, when they feel the current system is not working any better than what they have already got, anything must therefore be an improvement......a life on benefits whether working or not working, a life dependant on people and processes out of their control is not a life most would embrace.

Seems those on benefits were the ones more likely to vote yes. Did they really believe that an independent country of 5 million people could afford to give them more in the way of benefits?

..well at least they are getting more by staying ...the 3rd bedroom tax will be dropped with the devolved welfare powers.... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

Indeed he did.

Well, we've had our go at breaking the Westminster cabal.... What are you going to do?

Nothing more than I've already done - moved to Canada that is. Honestly though, even though I actually wanted Scotland to go, spending your life trying to find other people to blame for your problems is not a recipe for contentment of any sort.

Nothing more than I've already done - moved to Canada that is. Honestly though, even though I actually wanted Scotland to go, spending your life trying to find other people to blame for your problems is not a recipe for contentment of any sort.

I'm not looking to blame anyone, we gave it our best shot. I'm just pointing out that some of us have put up a fight.

Some have restricted their efforts to b1tching and sneering because we have tried, some go as far as trying to effect change by posting on websites, and some have run away.

I'm not looking to blame anyone, we gave it our best shot. I'm just pointing out that some of us have put up a fight.

Some have restricted their efforts to b1tching and sneering because we have tried, some go as far as trying to effect change by posting on websites, and some have run away.

Indeed Mr Third! I am no longer a resident of Scawtland! I would have voted YES, just to piss off Westminster! You probably hate me for being English anyway! :blink: We here in Turnipland, do not feel represented very well by a cadre of public school twunts! :unsure:

My only take on why the SNP didn't win was a lack of realism. If they had looked responsible and taken a more cautious approach to their forecasts they may have looked fit to Govern and the Scots would have voted them in.

It doesn't look good to say when we win...(your prediction was 60/40 as was Salmonds). That shows a lack of realism to start with. Certainty that the fiscal position would balance, certainty about north oil revenues, certainty about jobs not going south. It looks Zionistic third world Mugabe tactics that spooked not just the Markets but Scots too.

Edited by crashmonitor

It never occurred to you that these people might have just wanted a job?

Pr1ck

Did it occur to them that many of the public sector jobs in Scotland would either go back to England or cease to exist thereby reducing their chances of a job due to the increased unemployment? Wanting a job is one thing. Automatically assuming that you'll get one by jumping from the frying pan into the fire is another.

Thanks for the compliment btw.

Interesting blog post here by Ewan Cameron on why he changed from Yes to No and on the YES campaign being run as a cult

http://wakeupscotland.wordpress.com/2014/09/15/ewan-morrison-yes-why-i-joined-yes-and-why-i-changed-to-no/

I thought that was a good read.

There should have been two simple things to argue over: Vote yes for independence and more control by the Scottish population; vote no to keep the benefits of being part of a bigger nation but ceding significant control to the bigger nation. Both are noble and valid points of view.

Instead the yes campaign promised a better life out of thin air and the no campaign went very negative and in panic at the end came up with their own vague promises.

Now labour are going back on their pledges for party reasons and the SNP are positioning themselves to use this to go back on the "once in a lifetime chance" card they played.

I am a hard working guy with moderate views but once again politicians are letting us down and I am feeling quite despondent :(

Did it occur to them that many of the public sector jobs in Scotland would either go back to England or cease to exist thereby reducing their chances of a job due to the increased unemployment? Wanting a job is one thing. Automatically assuming that you'll get one by jumping from the frying pan into the fire is another.

Thanks for the compliment btw.

Deflection, and a fairly poor effort.

Called it like I saw it.

My only take on why the SNP didn't win was a lack of realism. If they had looked responsible and taken a more cautious approach to their forecasts they may have looked fit to Govern and the Scots would have voted them in.

It doesn't look good to say when we win...(your prediction was 60/40 as was Salmonds). That shows a lack of realism to start with. Certainty that the fiscal position would balance, certainty about north oil revenues, certainty about jobs not going south. It looks Zionistic third world Mugabe tactics that spooked not just the Markets but Scots too.

A few SNP policies were ridiculous, and I had no hesitation in pointing them out. Renationalising the PO being the one that springs to mind. I'm not sure why my posting "when we win" is any worse than posts saying "when you lose", perhaps you can explain the difference to me.

I live and work in Dundee, there was a very visible movement towards yes, and I hoped that those registering for the first time ever would swing the vote. It wasn't to be.

I'm afraid I need to repeat the question, what do you, I, us do now to change the system?

A few SNP policies were ridiculous, and I had no hesitation in pointing them out. Renationalising the PO being the one that springs to mind. I'm not sure why my posting "when we win" is any worse than posts saying "when you lose", perhaps you can explain the difference to me.

I live and work in Dundee, there was a very visible movement towards yes, and I hoped that those registering for the first time ever would swing the vote. It wasn't to be.

I'm afraid I need to repeat the question, what do you, I, us do now to change the system?

I have a lot of respect for your arguments.

However the 'YES' campaign seemed to want to nationalise BP and I'm not really sure it would have been theres to take into public ownership.

They needed to address the situation regarding the currency and the EU. A well reasoned economic plan could have swung it IMO. Without it you were voting for fairy dust.

Edited by aSecureTenant