House Price Crash Forum

I Predict A Yes Vote 53:47

southmartin

HOLA441

16 year olds should get the vote in England too. If you are old enough to pay taxes, you are old enough to vote. If not, then the age at which you pay taxes should be raised.

How many 16 years olds work as a proportion of total number?......and giving them a vote would be irresponsible.....without causing offence, their brains are not fully aware of the world they live in.....a vast majority are hedonistic without care for the future.....

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

They (the NO campaign) made some glaring mistakes - it's almost like Cameron wants them to leave and take 42 Labour MPs out of the Commons...

1. They allowed them to be the YES campaign. Surely the referendum should be "do you want Scotland to stay as part of the UK" - that way the positive sentiment is with staying

2. allowing 16 year olds to vote - I mean that's just bloody silly! Most school kids have even less idea of how the world works than Labour voters, and can easily be led into believing that the land of milk ad honey just requires them to split from England

Not to mention that Labour and the Tories couldn't manage to agree on what kind of further devolution there would be in the event of a no vote. So they have nothing to offer the no voters other than vague promises.

HOLA444

Not to mention that Labour and the Tories couldn't manage to agree on what kind of further devolution there would be in the event of a no vote. So they have nothing to offer the no voters other than vague promises.

...may we thank the good Lord for that and let YES votes win ..... :rolleyes:

HOLA445
HOLA446

I think the pollsters have got it wrong. I don't think they've been able to take into account the "motivation" factor. I.e. the willingness of the voter to actually get off their backside and go vote.

Therefore I predict that the Yes voters (who will be up at the crack of dawn come rain or shine to vote) will actually score a relatively comfortable win.

Who's going to offer me odds on the Scots voting to leave by 53:47 - a 6 point gap?

The bookies have already paid out on 'No.'

The only systematic under-estimating by the pollsters is likely to be the 'Shy Noes' - a multitude boosted by intimidation from the Scottish fascistsyes camp.

HOLA447

Too close to call means exactly that. No one knows what the result will be, so any prediction is just a guess. You may be right, you may be wrong, but you're still guessing.

Janet Daley, the Telegraph columnist, made a tremendous @rse of herself a few years back with this piece, where she confused "what I want to happen" with "analysis".

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/janetdaley/100188062/time-for-me-to-get-off-the-fence-i-believe-mitt-romney-will-win-tonight-and-this-is-why/

Funny you should bring up Daley's 'why Mitt is going to win' piece - Betfair says that the Yes camp has less likelihood of winning than did Mitt Romney, which is why they have already paid out on a No vote.

The bulk of ths thread is, sadly, just a load of wishful thinking along the lines of 'why England is going to win big in Brazil.'.

HOLA448

It's funny that there have been no leaks from the Yes side claiming to be ahead in the postal vote.

The postal votes are opened and verified before being put in the cupboard for counting on Thursday night. Even if these are opened face down the vote mark can often be detected from the other side. It's illegal to disclose the results of postal balloting before the full count but that hasn't stoppd leaks in the past.

The silence from the Salmond camp on the postal vote is bad news for the Yes side.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Not sure but I think all scaremongering against a yes vote is going to make a lot of Scots vote yes just to piss them off. Makes you realise how much the media manipulates things. Too bad that the little people now have the internet to fact check everything.

only balanced by 55+ year olds who are being shouted at and abused in the street by goggle eyed unemployed bravehearts who believe the piffle that Salmond spouts who will crawl to a ballot box to vote no. In fact the young generation one day might thank them for saving them from themselves.

HOLA4413

How many 16 years olds work as a proportion of total number?......and giving them a vote would be irresponsible.....without causing offence, their brains are not fully aware of the world they live in.....a vast majority are hedonistic without care for the future.....

Fair enough but there should be no taxation without representation. If they pay taxes, they should get a vote else they should be tax exempt.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Think it will be a clear No....53/47.

The Yes supporters have rather let Salmond down in my opinion.

The campaign has got nasty, rather depressing actually, fear and intimidation that really you would only associate with a Banana Republic. The no vote are keeping silent for obvious reasons.

I think the thuggery and hatred will turn a lot of Yes voters off.

I guess there is a cultural aggressive way of debating north of the border that south of the border we may be misinterpreting. But it is quite intimidating just watching it.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The campaign has got nasty, rather depressing actually, fear and intimidation that really you would only associate with a Banana Republic. The no vote are keeping silent for obvious reasons.

I guess there is a cultural aggressive way of debating north of the border that south of the border we may be misinterpreting. But it is quite intimidating just watching it.

You should come and experience the Welsh nats first hand. Make the Scot nats look tame.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

HOLA4418

I think the polls are systematically overestimating the yes vote due the the Nats' bullying tactics and the patriotism factor.

My guess is it'll be something like 60:40 no but I'd say it's impossible to call.

I'll go the other way, 60:40 to yes. I'll be too pi$$ed to post tonight/tomorrow morning, so all the 'you Scots bottled it' messages will have to wait until Saturday for my tearful replies.....

HOLA4419

What? Compared to the BNP or EDF? :D

Daft comment of the day, and it's only 10am

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

^^. It's interesting that Andy Murray said it was the negativity of No in the last few days that swung him to vote Yes.

Sounds like really clever twittering from the YES campaign IMPO. Murray pretends to be on the shelf and then, on the morning of the vote, comes out on the YES and claims it is because of the negativity of the NO lot??? Hmm...

Edited by The Masked Tulip

HOLA4422

What? Compared to the BNP or EDF? :D

Daft comment of the day, and it's only 10am

We are talking a party that commands half the support of the electorate not less than 1%. You would expect slightly better behaviour than we have had.

Is it acceptable that one side dare not show their leanings for fear of intimidation. I think not.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4423

The Guardian have found some silent Yes voters:

An English couple in their 50s arrived excitedly just after 7am. They refused to be named or photographed: “Because we’re voting yes and all of our family think we are a no.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2014/sep/18/scottish-independence-referendum-polling-day-live

HOLA4424
HOLA4425