House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Boring Tech Thread...xmbc

Anyone got it? I know you have to be careful what you talk about on here, but any good? I see you can pick up boxes with the full works for fifty quid...apparently... :rolleyes:

Yes, I do..I could prob do it all myself, but I dont know if I can be arsed..

It's really easy on an old pc or a raspberry pi (silent/cheap). For the pi just download an sd card image and stick it in. Full hd playback through hdmi for about £25 all in.

There's loads of streaming options, can find just about anything you want. Unfortunately my broadbands not good enough for that so I just use it attached to a big hdd with all my films on. Really happy with it.

Yes, I do..I could prob do it all myself, but I dont know if I can be arsed..

It's incredibly easy to set up now. I have it installed across various bits of hardware linked up to a central file server. It's great.

Obviously, content is freely available from the usual places via a vpn.

Been using it since it was xbmp on the Xbox 1. It's come on leaps and bounds in ten years though. For instance I was tethered to using MCE as a PVR for years until I realised you can use the nextPVR addon as a server, meaning PVR TV throughout the house on any device running xbmc.

Where it's good for many is its database management. All TV/film you own (be it legitimately or otherwise) can be queried against thetvdb.org and themoviedb giving you cast/trailer/fanart which makes your library feel 'proper' as opposed to a bunch of files.

Finally, if you wish to forgo legality completely there's addons like naviX where you can stream whatever you want.

Oh and integration with remotes on android/ios are very slick

Years ago, i put it onto the original xbox, this involved soldering a custom chip onto a surface mount board.

now i run it on a acer revo machine sat behind my tv, i run it ontop of windows 7 and stream to it from a file server via wifi, or use it to watch catch up tv. i tried standalone, but didn't see any benefit to it.. apparently the raspberry pi works well too.

when/if my revo breaks i will prob move onto a NUC box. i like having the ability to to use it as a PC, if i need to, rather than just using it as a smart TV

XBMC is changing its name to Kodi

I'm looking at getting a simple little Android media streamer...I've got a Now TV box, but it isn't that hackable (only Plex I believe)..

Would you say this is kind of like a combo between a Pi Media Centre and a Chromecast?

sort of. I think this is more versatile than the CC...the only real bonus of CC is the screen mirroring bit...If it can do this, I'd prob get one, although you cant expand the internal memory (AFAIK)..

http://www.thestreamingadvisor.com/2014/03/21/how-to-cast-xbmc-from-an-android-phone-or-tablet-to-the-google-chromecast/

I'd go for a Chromecast over that (they were going for £18 not so long ago) if you use Netflix, iPlayer. I've read that those cheapo ones can be temperamental.

If you have mkvs, then a Raspberry Pi and XBMC or Apple Tv with XBMC would be better.

sort of. I think this is more versatile than the CC...the only real bonus of CC is the screen mirroring bit...If it can do this, I'd prob get one, although you cant expand the internal memory (AFAIK)..

http://www.thestreamingadvisor.com/2014/03/21/how-to-cast-xbmc-from-an-android-phone-or-tablet-to-the-google-chromecast/

As EG says you can pick up the CC for £18 from time to time.

Lots of apps are no CC enabled and you can used your android phone or tablet as the remote and then off-load the streaming to the CC.

I'd go for a Chromecast over that (they were going for £18 not so long ago) if you use Netflix, iPlayer. I've read that those cheapo ones can be temperamental.

If you have mkvs, then a Raspberry Pi and XBMC or Apple Tv with XBMC would be better.

My NOW TV box / Samsung Blu Ray does that, and it was only a tenner... with the Andriod one, you can install whatever apps you want, whereas with the CC, you are limited. A Pi box would be the alternative...